Need your talk or text logs?
Bernard893's profile

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

Sunday, August 28th, 2016 3:47 PM

Why is tethering not allowed?

Why is tethering not allowed on the unlimited plan? I already get throttled after 22gb who cares if the data is phone data or tethered data. I've had AT&T for one day and it looks like it is time to go back to T-Mobile. Good thing I own my phones. T-Mobile has horrible coverage but at least when I have coverage I can use it. Sure I have great coverage with AT&T but what's the point since I can't utilize it.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

8 years ago

The plan is NOT throttled at 22 gigs.  After you hit 22 gigs the line is reprioritised. Many users notice a slowdown after 22 gigs, some only occasionally and some never notice a slow down.

In order to manage the network for all users, limiting use to one device only is the choice that works for ATT.  Verizon is now in the process of terminating accounts due to over use and abuse of the unlimited plan.  The other carriers have drawn the line where it works for them.

BTW, you might want to read all the fine print on T-mo plan.  

Tethering is at 2 G speeds only.

image.png

1 Attachment

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

8 years ago

I doubt anyone knows why other than it has always been that way. The old unlimited plan didn't allow tethering either. By the way you do not get automatically throttled at 22GB. Your data traffic is re-prioritized which may or may not result in a slowdown. Many customers have reported using much more than 22GB without any reduction in speeds. Perhaps that is the main reason for not allowing tethering. 

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

8 years ago

Call it what you will it is still throttling. I do t care about the throttling I accept that part but no tethering is lame. T-mobile's network sucks but it somehow can still offer unlimited with the tethering.

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

8 years ago

I had one of the first unlimited plans and tethering came and went a couple times. I pay a ton of money for a phone I want to use it when I want to use it and how I want to use it. If one company could get off their high horse and offer what people really want they wouldn't even need to advertise they would instantly become the leader of wireless over night.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

I totally agree! We pay A LOT of GOOD money and we would like to buy what we REALLY NEED! I too will be shopping around. There are a lot of new offers and, of course, new technologies out there - ATT, you may loose our entire family and company now!

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

WHY can we not have a personal hotspot with unlimited data?? REALLY?? I am really upset that this is not functioning - yeah, my bad for not reading everything completely - BUT I ASKED THE ATT REP SPECIFICALLY ABOUT USING A PERSONAL HOTSPOT AND WAS NOT TOLD IT DOES NOT FUNCTION!

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

8 years ago

You can all tether. You just need a plan that allows tethering.

That's the way they sell it here.

You only want 9 eggs, that's fine but they sell them in a dozen. That's the choice. Does it matter why it's 12?

AT&T does NOT want to sell you unlimited tethered data. I'm sure there are countless reasons and ways they are worried about abusers.

They could set a limit for the amount of tethered data and then everyone would argue what the number should be.  Or make it an additional charge and then hear complaints about that. There is no winning for them...

Professor

• 

3.2K Messages

8 years ago

You ask "Sure I have great coverage with AT&T but what's the point since I can't utilize it."

I'd ask the other side of the coin; what's the point of having all the data you want (unlimited) with TMo if you can't get a signal to use it? You admit their coverage stinks.

Besides, as two posters have said, you may never experience a slow down of your data.

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

8 years ago

But I can tether to a "connected car" so really all I need to do is find a car that was totaled but their wifi is still in good shape and just put it in a case and boom personal hotspot. Take that AT&T. Sure it'll cost me the $40 a month extra device fee but I'm ok with that. I would be ok if they let me use my phone as a hot spot for $40 a month. It's not ideal but I'd be ok with it. On the subject of selling tethering data. That sure sounds like a cheap excuse to not provide this simple service. Verizon / t-mobile / sprint don't seem to be to concerned with the selling of data. Which if you're buying data from someone with a hotspot and you don't really like them call the cops on them and report them for illegally selling data.

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

8 years ago

At least when I have service I would be able to use it. Plus t-mobile is cheaper by almost a $100 a month. Like I said before good thing I bought my phones out right. At least I have the ability to switch if I choose to. Other people are not as lucky.

The biggest annoyance of this whole thing is after specifically asking about hotspot I was told it wasn't an issue. Yes I should've read the 100 page user agreement word for word and then have my lawyer read it and his lawyer and then sign in triplicate that it is acceptable before signing up for service. Or the agent could've been straight forward that tethering was not available so I would have all the cards on the table so I could make an informed decision. Except the agent knew tethering was important and I would not have switched to AT&T knowing tethering was not an option.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.