Need your talk or text logs?
UnhappyCustom3r's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Thursday, April 20th, 2017 11:34 AM

Why does AT&T train their reps to lie for sales?

I've had 2 plan changes now in 2 days. Both under false representation. I am satisfied with the plan I am now on but after this experience. I am looking to switch my family to a more honest provider anyway. I got a text from att stating that I was running low on my data for the month so I called in to up the data plan for the month. Ofcourse they conveniently forgot to mention the rollover I had accrued (my fault as well for not checking and why would my customer service help me with that on their own anyway? It is AT&T we're talking about). The rep Janhry ID***** tried pitching unlimited to me. I asked detailed questions about the plan and switched after he beat around the bush and ultimately failed to tell me that the "4G" on the plan was capped at 3mbps. Made no distinction between the choice and plus plans. He just called it unlimited for cheaper than the 25gig shared plan for 3. When I realized on my own the next day, I called in and I was switched to a new 20gig shared plan that throttles me to 3G after the data cap. This time crystal ID:***** in loyalty (who I also asked the right detailed questions and beat the dead horse with into a pulp) flat out told me in several ways that I would be throttled down to 3mbps, not 3G. When I asked how it makes sense that I would pay less to be throttled to 3mbps after 20gigs of shared 4G, vs having 22gigs each of 3mbps and then getting throttled to 3G, her first response was really stupid. Response 1: "because the choice plan is unlimited". Dumb answer because what she is pitching to me is that being throttled down counts as unlimited. Technically true but that also means my shared data plan which throttled me at a point is also truly unlimited. After a few more attempts at breaking down the math to where a 4year old would understand it, instead of admitting that she misrepresented how much I would be throttled to, (so the real plan difference: unlimited choice for 3 lines is 22Gigs each at 3mbps totaling a potential 66gigs at 3mbps and then throttled to 3G, or 20gig shared at the highest speed 4G throttled and then throttled to 3G after that for a little less money in my case because I have a discount for it which doesn't apply to choice) her final cop out lie to answer my question of why I would pay less for better data according to get throttled to 3mbps lie, was "AT&T makes these prices up. I don't know". She couldn't even cover her tracks with a good lie like it's only cheaper because of my discount which doesn't apply to unlimited so I'm lucky to get her phony rendition of my service for cheaper than the worse off plan. It was no misunderstanding. We beat the horse. I've been pretty satisfied with the internet service I've had in my long tenure with AT&T and I'm satisfied with the plan I have now. I will be looking to switch my family to another carrier in the near future just for the simple fact that AT&T must be teaching their reps to hug their customers from the front with a smile while slipping a knife in their backs. Too many coincidences to be isolated incidents. So I have to ask AT&T, why do you promote lying?[edited for privacy-please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, employee ID numbers, email addresses, phone numbers, account numbers, etc.]

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

7 years ago

As a former employee I can honestly tell you AT&T does not promote lying. In fact, quite the opposite. I had to annually certify that I knew of and complied with the code of business conduct: https://www.att.com/gen/investor-relations?pid=5595. 

By the way, neither of the unlimited plans automatically throttle at 22GB. Traffic is reprioritized which might result in a slowdown and might not. Many customers on the unlimited plus plan report using much more than 22GB without any slowdown. I don't know about the choice plan. With the 3mbps speed cap already in place, I doubt anyone gets to 22GB. In any event, I've not seen any reports from users of that plan what happens after hitting 22GB.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

7 years ago

I have a recording of the conversation where the rep in loyalty insisted that the 20gig plan would throttle to 3mbps and not 3G once I ran out of data. I asked in many different ways to the point where she just deferred to "At&t comes up with the prices" as her explanation for why it was cheaper to take 20gigs of high speed 4G throttled to 3mbps than choice which starts at 3mbps. It in fact is only cheaper because of the discount applied to my account that doesn't apply to unlimited choice. But regardless of which is cheaper, she clung to her original statement that the 20gig 4G plan throttled to 3mbps even when I said "that might make some sense if it throttled to 3G". I only recorded the call because the rep before her pitched unlimited to me when I called in to upgrade to the next tier very conveniently leaving out that what he meant by 4G was 3mbps on the choice plan. He never even mentioned choice. I saw it on the app after he swapped me and I did more digging. AT&T has definitely taught me to be wary of organizations that gain financially from our relationship. Record all conversations so someone can't come along later and just say "we don't do that. That's not our policy"

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

7 years ago

So then maybe AT&T would like to review the phone calls associated with the recent back to back plan changes on my account, and retrain the reps associated with those calls should they inevitably find the gross misrepresentation of their services. I know they have the call logs and I'd be happy to provide them with one of the two awefully misleading conversations if they aren't already recording the calls for quality assurance.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@UnhappyCustom3r 

When committing to any kind of service (especially if you have a commitment of some sort) you should always read the offer/plan for yourself. Preferably in big print on a computer not just on a phone screen. You want to see all the details and terms and conditions of the offer.

If the old days we called this "read the fine print".

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

7 years ago

@UnhappyCustom3r

Read the fine print.  Mobile Share Advantage throttles to 128kbps (2G speed) once you reach your data cap.   This is far, far slower than 3mbps speed on the choice plan.  (3 mb = 3072 kb)  making it 24 times faster than 2G speed.

Yes, if the rep can read, it's on every sheet on the plans.  They do have information sheets, they are trained to know the plans.  I don't expect them to do the math, but they should be able to communicate what they see.

If you ever get a rep spouting incorrect information, take their name and call center, hang up, and report it to @ATTHelpForums.  

Then get online.  Either the forum, your account, or ATT website has the correct information.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

7 years ago

Yes. Thank you. You are right. I will be sure to read the fine print in the future when engaging in a financial commitment. Especially, especially, especially when dealing with AT&T who's reps, I definitely should not depend on for transparency. Seriously, someone should look into these calls to see where I'm coming from with this. Some of the claims on the calls were straight in your face lies rather than convenient misdirection

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

7 years ago

Thank you. Finally some sense. I'm going to do exactly that. A helpful rep provided me with the IDs of the reps who did my plan changes

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

7 years ago

Good.  I have only once dealt with a rep I couldn't hear well, with a noisy background.  I eventually hung up and called again, asked for tech support.  I actually got a competent person.  Customer service has been sliding for a full 2 years.  This is not the place to cut the budget in a service industry.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.