Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Why can't I tether with my Grandfathered Unlimited Data Plan?

Traveler

Why can't I tether with my Grandfathered Unlimited Data Plan?

Today, I called AT&T to setup a personal hotspot on my iphone. AT&T said I had to get an LIMITED DATA plan. I could not use the UNLIMITED DATA plan I had signed up with. I was told AT&T does not grandfather unlimited data for personal hotspots on my iphone. I asked for an email regarding AT&T not honoring UNLIMITED DATA plans. I have not recieved the email. It is not fair AT&T will not honor what I signed up for with them. What can I do to make AT&T honor their contract with for UNLIMITED DATA?

Message 1 of 100
ACE - Expert

Re: AT&T does not HONOR their unlimited data plan contracts

So you think they'll follow Verizon and not T-Mobile or Sprint...

I'm shocked the number is as high as 22%.

Gary

• Rember the Golden Rule: Treat others how you would like to be treated.
  • Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 46 of 100
ACE - Expert

@Gary L wrote:

So you think they'll follow Verizon and not T-Mobile or Sprint...

I'm shocked the number is as high as 22%.

Gary

why would they not follow verizon?  Tmobile and sprint are the bottom feeders in the industry.  Tmobile still has a huge part of IL that is 2g only...  There coverage map lies more than anyones.  I was beta testing project fi and sprint had better service than tmobile as fi uses both handing off to the one that has better service at the time.  Tmobile cant roll out VoLTE till they get almost 100% coverage with LTE.  Verizon and ATT are almost there so in 2016 we will start seeing LTE only phones and tablets.

As for a link there is not one yet...  I am just warning of what is coming down the pipe in the next 6 months.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 47 of 100
ACE - Sage

@Gary L wrote:

We're just pointing that's how we've been keeping it.

It seems to me if they change our contract, I can get out of it (it is a contract) but I'm not going to argue that point.

....You might want to read the contract.  When you purchase a new phone it requires you stick with ATT for 2 years or pay the early termination fee to get out of it.  The data plan is NOT part of the contract and has never been so.  Customers are free to change their data plan any time.  ( which means ATT could too)

It will not change their obligation to pay for their phone.

AT&T is free to lose me as a customer at any time (I mean take my data plan away from me at any time).

.....ATT has no plan to take your plan away.  But they might do what Verizon did.  As of November 15, Verizon's unlimited customers will pay $50 a month for their unlimited data plan.  They will also be allowed to use the device payment plan to buy phones.

The smart thing to do would be to offer tethering on my account for a small fee and get an extra $20 bucks a month out of me!  Or charge me $10 a month but limit the amount of tethering (3GB for example).

.....Not a bad idea, it's been suggest before, but it opens up a new can of worm ATT doesn't want to deal with.  T- Mobile announced its intention to terminate data theft from the handful of tech savvy abusers.

Gary

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Message 48 of 100
ACE - Sage

@sschriver
@sschriver wrote:

For the people who are saying the grandfathered unlimited plans are month to month and not contracted:

Actually, I renew my grandfathered plan every two years online.  When I buy my new phone and go through the pages of options, when I get to the data page, I have the option of my grandfathered plan or the limited ones.  I just click which one I choose for the next two years.  I can choose any of them.  People who came in after the unlimited plans went out don't have that option in their accounts.

So, yes, I renew my contract for that plan every two years.  It isn't month to  month; it is an option.  Other people just don't get the option.

The only thing in your 2 year contract is an agreement to pay for 2 years of service or pay an early termination fee if you end early.

You have the option to change your data plan at any time.  So does ATT.  Your data plan is not under contract.  

Read your customer agreement.

Yes.  ATT allows customers to keep whatever data plan they have at the price when they signed up.  I have a promotional data plan, which is no longer offered.

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Message 49 of 100
Contributor

I AM ON MY 3RD T-H-I-R-D, 2 year unlimited data contract with att - I do not know where you get your info from but so far every time my 2yrs contract was up I GAVE THEM THE CHOICE of renewing it or me moving on to Verizon - They have always given me a new 2 year UNLIMITED CONTRACT - Smiley Tongue

Message 50 of 100
ACE - Sage

@Greymane05

@Greymane05 wrote:

I AM ON MY 3RD T-H-I-R-D, 2 year unlimited data contract with att - I do not know where you get your info from but so far every time my 2yrs contract was up I GAVE THEM THE CHOICE of renewing it or me moving on to Verizon - They have always given me a new 2 year UNLIMITED CONTRACT - Smiley Tongue

You can keep it as long as you maintain the account, per the terms of service.  ATT has committed to allowing unlimited data plan holders to keep the plans and has no plans to take them away.  You do not have to buy a phone every 2 years to keep the data plan, it has nothing to do with your phone purchase.

Your 2 year contract includes the terms by which you obtain a discounted phone in exchange for 2 more years of service, or the payment of the early termination fees.  It does not include the terms of your data plan.

Both ATT and Customers have the right to change data plans at any time.

ATT could at any time, with notice, increase the cost - like Verizon just did.

image.jpeg

Message 51 of 100
Contributor

THAT STILL DOES NOT CHANGE THE FACT THAT I AM ON MY 3RD 2 YEAR CONTRACT WITH UNLIMITED DATA - IT'S REALLY THAT SIMPLE.  

Message 52 of 100
ACE - Expert

Re: AT

That's going to change. In March they will start making unlimited data plans pay full price for your phones. Next will be an option but no more 2 year contracts.
Message 53 of 100
ACE - Sage

As I wrote, they are UNRELATED.  

Next time you upgrade you will have to use Next or buy at full price.  YOU WILL STILL BE ALLOWED TO KEEP UNLIMITED DATA.

At the end of this year 2 year contracts will no longer be available.  This does not mean that customers on old plans have to change.  ATT has always honored grandfathered plans.  

Message 54 of 100
ACE - Expert

@Greymane05 wrote:

THAT STILL DOES NOT CHANGE THE FACT THAT I AM ON MY 3RD 2 YEAR CONTRACT WITH UNLIMITED DATA - IT'S REALLY THAT SIMPLE.  

Your 2 year contract is not for unlimited data. Your 2 year contract is to maintain voice service but does not specify any specific plan. What @lizdance40 has been trying to tell you is absolutely correct. You have been allowed to keep your current voice plan and unlimited data when you renewed your contract but the contract does not guarentee you will be able to keep that plan.

Message 55 of 100
ACE - Expert

It looks as if AT&T is changing the cost of unlimited data (up $5 a month)

See page on AT&T's website.

@lizdance40 - They must feel this is related enough to people's contracts (as much as you've said it isn't) that they will waive early termination fees as long as you cancel within 60 days. 

As I've said: if they take it way from me I thought I'd be able to get out of the contract...

But $5 a month is nothing, so I won't complain about that.

I pay less for AT&T celluar than I did when I signed up, so a price rate increase of this amount is reasonable.  Unlimited messaging/M2M dropped $10 a ways back and the M2M combined with A-List let me drop my plan $20 a month so that's $30 in savings a month for me.  Maybe a few more taxes a fees in there somewhere, but that's certainly offset. Certainly better than all the people complaining rates are always going up...

Gary

• Rember the Golden Rule: Treat others how you would like to be treated.
  • Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.
Message 56 of 100
Professor

lizdance40 wrote:

At the end of this year 2 year contracts will no longer be available.  This does not mean that customers on old plans have to change.  ATT has always honored grandfathered plans.  

GLIMMERMAN76 wrote:
That's going to change. In March they will start making unlimited data plans pay full price for your phones.

Sources for these claims?

Since AT&T is raising the price of grandfathered Unlimited data, that suggests that it still sees value in legacy plans.  AT&T also seems to be satisfied with how it is managing the number of two-year plans.  The number of two-year customers is decreasing organically and there is this:

“I think [the two-year contract] is one of those options that is going to go away slowly, not because we insist on it, but because customers will choose it less often.” Ralph de la Vega, President and CEO of AT&T Mobile and Business Solutions, June 2, 2015

Message 57 of 100
ACE - Expert

Re: Why can't I tether with my Grandfathered Unlimited Data Plan?

You can read about it in the ace blog community exchange for next.
Message 58 of 100
Voyager

Same here I have unlimited data and I called to enable that feature in my Samsung S6 Edge + and I was told I am not qualified due to my unlimited data plan. And the rep also told me that I might open a Internet caffee and use this plan to give service or I might share my hotspot to my neighbors since its unlimited. Hahahaha! What a freaking mooron?!? What kind of people they hire at ATT? Don't they know 99% of the population has internet access and do we really have time to open a shop, get a lease, permits and hire employees just to take advantage of ATT unlimited plan? Not even my son which we switch him from ATT to Metro PCS now have a hotspot unlimited feature cap at 3 gb in his iphone, a 15 year old even knows best not to open his hotspot to anyone but for his own use for his laptop at the library. ATT please move forward, as mention also from rep that we might be playing Xbox online from our phone hotspot. Seriously? Serious gamer use serious components for that we'll use Cable High Speed Internet from Comcast not your mediocre cell phone internet. ATT please move forward.

Message 59 of 100
Voyager

The solution get Metro PCS unlimited data with unlimited hotspot with 3gb cap. Best thing i did for my son cell service.

Message 60 of 100
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements
NEW - Take a look at our best value & price ever for unlimited wireless - AT&T Unlimited Starter and AT&T Unlimited Extra plans!

Additional Support