Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Why can't I tether with my Grandfathered Unlimited Data Plan?

Traveler

Why can't I tether with my Grandfathered Unlimited Data Plan?

Today, I called AT&T to setup a personal hotspot on my iphone. AT&T said I had to get an LIMITED DATA plan. I could not use the UNLIMITED DATA plan I had signed up with. I was told AT&T does not grandfather unlimited data for personal hotspots on my iphone. I asked for an email regarding AT&T not honoring UNLIMITED DATA plans. I have not recieved the email. It is not fair AT&T will not honor what I signed up for with them. What can I do to make AT&T honor their contract with for UNLIMITED DATA?

Message 1 of 100
Employee

Re: Why can't I tether with my Grandfathered Unlimited Data Plan?

Putting up a logo doesn't mean anything. Tethering was made available with Data Pro. It wasn't up to Apple to mention what data plans were with tethering. It was Data Pro 3GB and 5GB. Just the nature of the game.
*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 31 of 100
Master

I don't think the terms and condition for tethering existed when I purchased my phone, just the promise of tethering. I purchased my iPhone knowing my plan had unlimited data and they promised tethering later (which I believe turned out to be much later).

Well,  Here is a little clarification for your memory.

The iPhone unlimited data plan was discontinued on 06/01/2010.  The iPhone 4 was not available for retail purchase until 06/24/2014.  At the time the unlimited data plan was retired, there were no phones capable of tethering, and at the time of the iPhone 4 release, there was no way to get a new unlimited data plan, so there was no overlap in the two.  Any expectation of being able to tether your unlimited data plan to your as of yet unreleased hardware was not acknowledged by AT&T.  I was also an AT&T iPhone user at that time, and I also had the unlimited data plan on my iPhone 4.

Yes, it was very disapointing, but it was a planned and calculated move.  I personally think that Apple's decision to allow tethering was a factor in AT&T's choice to stop offering the unlimited data plan since they were already having issues with their network being able to keep up with the demands for data being placed on it by iPhones already without tethering.  Remember that this was also the time frame that AT&T started throttling users who were using very large volumes of data each month.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Message 32 of 100
Contributor

I currently have a grandfathered "unlimited" data account.  At the present, it's costing me a lot more each month because I am no longer on a family share plan with the rest of my family, so I am considering switching.  But once I switch, it's hasta la vista unlimited data forever.  Is there any reason why I shouldn't give up the unlimited data?

Message 33 of 100
ACE - Sage

If you regularly use a lot more than 5 GBS of data or if the amount you use would be a lot cheaper on an individual plan.

Crunch the numbers.

Line fee is $40 less a discount if your phone is out of contract.

Current data offers below.  If your bill before tax is more than $140 the 15 GB plan might be a better deal.

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
image.jpg
Message 34 of 100
ACE - Professor

@GeekBoy You made typo error about iPhone 4 available for retail purchase on June 24, 2014. Suppose to be June 24, 2010.Smiley Wink

Hardcore Pittsburgh Steelers Fan
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 35 of 100
Master

@MR_SMiT wrote:

@GeekBoy You made typo error about iPhone 4 available for retail purchase on June 24, 2014. Suppose to be June 24, 2010.Smiley Wink

Yes, you are correct, I typo'ed the year, but in any case, the unlimited data plan was retired more than 3 weeks before the iPhone 4 was released for purchase.  To assume that something retired almost a month before the releasse of the iPhone 4 would be updated to support new features of the iPhone 4 is just wishfull thinking on the original poster's end, and never guaranteed by anyone.  The iPhone is sold in countries other than the US, so to say that the iPhone was excludive to AT&T in the US implied that the feature was guaranteed for AT&T is also just as ridiculous.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Message 36 of 100
Contributor

@lizdance40 wrote:

... Crunch the numbers.

Line fee is $40 less a discount if your phone is out of contract.

Current data offers below.  If your bill before tax is more than $140 the 15 GB plan might be a better deal.

This is exactly where I stand.  It would be cheaper and I would only be gaining usability (mobile hotspots, etc) if I would drop my grandfathered unlimited plan.  But once I drop it, it's gone forever.  My question to the community is this:  Am I not thinking of something where an unlimited plan will be valuable in the future, so I should hang on to it?  Is there such a thing as transfering the plan to someone who wants unlimted but can't get it since it's no longer available from AT&T?

Message 37 of 100
Teacher

Re: AT&T does not HONOR their unlimited data plan contracts

For the people who are saying the grandfathered unlimited plans are month to month and not contracted:

Actually, I renew my grandfathered plan every two years online.  When I buy my new phone and go through the pages of options, when I get to the data page, I have the option of my grandfathered plan or the limited ones.  I just click which one I choose for the next two years.  I can choose any of them.  People who came in after the unlimited plans went out don't have that option in their accounts.

So, yes, I renew my contract for that plan every two years.  It isn't month to  month; it is an option.  Other people just don't get the option.

Message 38 of 100
ACE - Expert

Mine is the same way, SINCE I already have unlimited when getting a new iPhone I have the option of retaining the Grandfathered plan, it's been in there every time I upgraded my iPhone every two (or occasionally one) years.

Gary

• Rember the Golden Rule: Treat others how you would like to be treated.
  • Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.
Message 39 of 100
ACE - Expert

might want to read the fine print...  Att has it in there they can change your data plan at anytime.

Message 40 of 100
ACE - Expert

LizDance40,

Right now I'm at $135 for two line family plan (One unlmimited and one at 200 MB) which includes my phone subsidy (i.e. I get a iPhone 6s at $199). 

With that plan (since what I want is to tether) I'd need the $100 plan plus $30 ($15 * 2 lines).  While that saves me $5 a month, I'd still have to pay for my phone so that woud get the price up there pretty quick. 

FYI, I don't currently have unlimited calling but I do have A-list and unlimited mobile to mobile with unlimited texting and that's unlimited to me (while we talk 1,000 minutes a month most of those are free and I end up rolling 400+ over every month). It's a pretty sweet deal.

Otherwise the mobile share plans look pretty good.

I'll have to run the math next time I upgrade.

Thanks,

Gary

• Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.
Message 41 of 100
ACE - Expert

@Gary L

I can tell you starting next year unlimited customers are either going to have to pay full retail or use next to get a new phone.  Att is doing what verizon does what your unlimited data plan you will pay more for it.  What it amounts to is no more 2 year contracts on grandfathered unlimited data plans.

Message 42 of 100
ACE - Expert

We're just pointing that's how we've been keeping it.

It seems to me if they change our contract, I can get out of it (it is a contract) but I'm not going to argue that point.

AT&T is free to lose me as a customer at any time (I mean take my data plan away from me at any time).

The smart thing to do would be to offer tethering on my account for a small fee and get an extra $20 bucks a month out of me!  Or charge me $10 a month but limit the amount of tethering (3GB for example).

Gary

Message 43 of 100
ACE - Expert

you do realize that only 22% of ATT customers are still on unlimited data right?  ATT is just going to do what verizon is doing and give a little push to get the other 22% off unlimited data.  I dont think there going to take your unlimited data plan away I think there going to do a verizon and make you jump thru hoops to keep it.

Message 44 of 100
ACE - Expert

@GLIMMERMAN76

You're certain of that?  Link please... (for the "starting next year unlimited" change).

That's their choice. I'll be shopping around at that time.

My "unlimited" data is generally only 1-2GB a month. Seems a shame to scare many of us off.

Gary

Message 45 of 100
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support