For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need your talk or text logs?
0214Fl's profile

Traveler

• 

4 Messages

Saturday, March 14th, 2015 8:40 PM

Closed

Why can't I tether with my Grandfathered Unlimited Data Plan?

Today, I called AT&T to setup a personal hotspot on my iphone. AT&T said I had to get an LIMITED DATA plan. I could not use the UNLIMITED DATA plan I had signed up with. I was told AT&T does not grandfather unlimited data for personal hotspots on my iphone. I asked for an email regarding AT&T not honoring UNLIMITED DATA plans. I have not recieved the email. It is not fair AT&T will not honor what I signed up for with them. What can I do to make AT&T honor their contract with for UNLIMITED DATA?

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

9 years ago

LizDance40,

Right now I'm at $135 for two line family plan (One unlmimited and one at 200 MB) which includes my phone subsidy (i.e. I get a iPhone 6s at $199). 

With that plan (since what I want is to tether) I'd need the $100 plan plus $30 ($15 * 2 lines).  While that saves me $5 a month, I'd still have to pay for my phone so that woud get the price up there pretty quick. 

FYI, I don't currently have unlimited calling but I do have A-list and unlimited mobile to mobile with unlimited texting and that's unlimited to me (while we talk 1,000 minutes a month most of those are free and I end up rolling 400+ over every month). It's a pretty sweet deal.

Otherwise the mobile share plans look pretty good.

I'll have to run the math next time I upgrade.

Thanks,

Gary

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

9 years ago

@Gary L

I can tell you starting next year unlimited customers are either going to have to pay full retail or use next to get a new phone.  Att is doing what verizon does what your unlimited data plan you will pay more for it.  What it amounts to is no more 2 year contracts on grandfathered unlimited data plans.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

9 years ago

We're just pointing that's how we've been keeping it.

It seems to me if they change our contract, I can get out of it (it is a contract) but I'm not going to argue that point.

AT&T is free to lose me as a customer at any time (I mean take my data plan away from me at any time).

The smart thing to do would be to offer tethering on my account for a small fee and get an extra $20 bucks a month out of me!  Or charge me $10 a month but limit the amount of tethering (3GB for example).

Gary

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

9 years ago

you do realize that only 22% of ATT customers are still on unlimited data right?  ATT is just going to do what verizon is doing and give a little push to get the other 22% off unlimited data.  I dont think there going to take your unlimited data plan away I think there going to do a verizon and make you jump thru hoops to keep it.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

9 years ago

@GLIMMERMAN76

You're certain of that?  Link please... (for the "starting next year unlimited" change).

That's their choice. I'll be shopping around at that time.

My "unlimited" data is generally only 1-2GB a month. Seems a shame to scare many of us off.

Gary

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

9 years ago

So you think they'll follow Verizon and not T-Mobile or Sprint...

I'm shocked the number is as high as 22%.

Gary

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

9 years ago

@Gary L wrote:

So you think they'll follow Verizon and not T-Mobile or Sprint...

I'm shocked the number is as high as 22%.

Gary

why would they not follow verizon?  Tmobile and sprint are the bottom feeders in the industry.  Tmobile still has a huge part of IL that is 2g only...  There coverage map lies more than anyones.  I was beta testing project fi and sprint had better service than tmobile as fi uses both handing off to the one that has better service at the time.  Tmobile cant roll out VoLTE till they get almost 100% coverage with LTE.  Verizon and ATT are almost there so in 2016 we will start seeing LTE only phones and tablets.

As for a link there is not one yet...  I am just warning of what is coming down the pipe in the next 6 months.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

9 years ago

@Gary L wrote:

We're just pointing that's how we've been keeping it.

It seems to me if they change our contract, I can get out of it (it is a contract) but I'm not going to argue that point.

....You might want to read the contract.  When you purchase a new phone it requires you stick with ATT for 2 years or pay the early termination fee to get out of it.  The data plan is NOT part of the contract and has never been so.  Customers are free to change their data plan any time.  ( which means ATT could too)

It will not change their obligation to pay for their phone.

AT&T is free to lose me as a customer at any time (I mean take my data plan away from me at any time).

.....ATT has no plan to take your plan away.  But they might do what Verizon did.  As of November 15, Verizon's unlimited customers will pay $50 a month for their unlimited data plan.  They will also be allowed to use the device payment plan to buy phones.

The smart thing to do would be to offer tethering on my account for a small fee and get an extra $20 bucks a month out of me!  Or charge me $10 a month but limit the amount of tethering (3GB for example).

.....Not a bad idea, it's been suggest before, but it opens up a new can of worm ATT doesn't want to deal with.  T- Mobile announced its intention to terminate data theft from the handful of tech savvy abusers.

Gary

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

9 years ago

@sschriver
@sschriver wrote:

For the people who are saying the grandfathered unlimited plans are month to month and not contracted:

Actually, I renew my grandfathered plan every two years online.  When I buy my new phone and go through the pages of options, when I get to the data page, I have the option of my grandfathered plan or the limited ones.  I just click which one I choose for the next two years.  I can choose any of them.  People who came in after the unlimited plans went out don't have that option in their accounts.

So, yes, I renew my contract for that plan every two years.  It isn't month to  month; it is an option.  Other people just don't get the option.

The only thing in your 2 year contract is an agreement to pay for 2 years of service or pay an early termination fee if you end early.

You have the option to change your data plan at any time.  So does ATT.  Your data plan is not under contract.  

Read your customer agreement.

Yes.  ATT allows customers to keep whatever data plan they have at the price when they signed up.  I have a promotional data plan, which is no longer offered.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

I AM ON MY 3RD T-H-I-R-D, 2 year unlimited data contract with att - I do not know where you get your info from but so far every time my 2yrs contract was up I GAVE THEM THE CHOICE of renewing it or me moving on to Verizon - They have always given me a new 2 year UNLIMITED CONTRACT - Smiley Tongue

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.