Need your talk or text logs?
0214Fl's profile

Traveler

• 

4 Messages

Saturday, March 14th, 2015 8:40 PM

Closed

Why can't I tether with my Grandfathered Unlimited Data Plan?

Today, I called AT&T to setup a personal hotspot on my iphone. AT&T said I had to get an LIMITED DATA plan. I could not use the UNLIMITED DATA plan I had signed up with. I was told AT&T does not grandfather unlimited data for personal hotspots on my iphone. I asked for an email regarding AT&T not honoring UNLIMITED DATA plans. I have not recieved the email. It is not fair AT&T will not honor what I signed up for with them. What can I do to make AT&T honor their contract with for UNLIMITED DATA?

Traveler

• 

4 Messages

9 years ago

I do have an unlimited data. Everytime I talk to AT&T they try to switch my unlimited data plan to a limited plan.

Professor

• 

3.2K Messages

9 years ago

@lizdance40 wrote:
@0214FI

Picture Busternutt banging his head against the wall....

Yeap, but only once, lol. I'm not going to argue with this guy. Bottom line, he isn't getting tethering on his unllimited plan, no matter how much he complains.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

ATT's throttling practice have changed significantly ever since the Feds have gotten into the game. Many have gone over the so called 5gig cap. It's not throttled down to uselessness depending on cell tower congestion.

Tethering...many i know of do it. It's unlimited @ useable speeds. You'll still get the text stating you're over the cap..but you're unlimited. Exactly how do you limit or say no to tethering when your plan is unlimited? It's fine to stipulate that all you want if your plan is not unlimited. Sure you can even say that in their legalese..but how are you going to explain that to the judge?lol!

In regards to your contractual agrrement and actual plan...so what? That's a moot point. ATT may indeed have the right to disconnect you or alter the terms after your contractual agreement has expired. The simple fact remaining is that not only are you grandfathered in...it's continuously being renewed.

Now unless ATT feels that the millions of customer's $$$ don't mean anything...sure go right ahead and alienate all of your customers that you've sold unlimited data to..and it's quite a chunk of change mind you. That's one of the reasons why they're being sued in the first place.

Contributor

• 

4 Messages

9 years ago

Question: If I have the "grandfathered unlimited data" plan and I sign a new two year agreement (contract), then isn't that extending their agreement to provide that service? Or how does AT&T avoid unlimited data from being part of the new contract?

Should I ask a lawyer?!? 

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

9 years ago

ATT doesn't keep it out of the contract, nor does the contract specify unlimited data. Customers are allowed to change their data plan while in contract for service.

If it did preserve your unlimited plan as it was originally, it would be limited to 3G speed.  There was no 4 G or LTE at the time unlimited data was offered.  They allow you to keep your existing plan.  Please read the terms of the plan carefully.

Professor

• 

3.2K Messages

9 years ago

@sassyshopper wrote:

Question: If I have the "grandfathered unlimited data" plan and I sign a new two year agreement (contract), then isn't that extending their agreement to provide that service? Or how does AT&T avoid unlimited data from being part of the new contract?

Should I ask a lawyer?!? 

You simply can't sign a "new two year contract" for unlimited data. It is not a currently offered plan. You can ONLY sign a two year contract for currently offered plans.

You can add a two year contract for a new line of service to your account (not "contract"), but it is completely separate from your grandfathered data plan line of service. You can end the grandfathered plan at any time with no ETF (it is out of contract). Ending the new, added plan early would result in an ETF.

Contributor

• 

4 Messages

9 years ago

Whenever I buy a new phone I always have to sign a new two year contract. 

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

9 years ago

http://www.att.com/legal/terms.wirelessCustomerAgreement-list.html

Read the actual contents of the 2 year contract....

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

9 years ago

The year I purchased my first iPhone at the keynote they announced tethering at AT&T and also still offered unlimited data.  I was very sad that when the tethering arrived they refused to honor it with the unlimited data, that didn't seem very fair.

I supposed I could have easily bullied them into letting me out of my contract, but I didn't want that. I wanted the unlimted with teathering.  (I'd even accepted limit on the teathering) or a reasonable fee...

Gary

[Legal discussions are not permitted per the Guidelines]

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

9 years ago

ATT does not offer unlimited data plans, and hasn't in 4+ years.   

There are still customers who have held onto unlimited plans.  Those customers have never had tethering as part of their plan.  It is only allowed on limited data plans.

If you are new to ATT, you are a Mobile Share Value customer (with a limited data plan )and you will have the ability to tether your phone, as well as all the other features ATT offers MSV customers.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.