Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Why can't I tether with my Grandfathered Unlimited Data Plan?

Traveler

Why can't I tether with my Grandfathered Unlimited Data Plan?

Today, I called AT&T to setup a personal hotspot on my iphone. AT&T said I had to get an LIMITED DATA plan. I could not use the UNLIMITED DATA plan I had signed up with. I was told AT&T does not grandfather unlimited data for personal hotspots on my iphone. I asked for an email regarding AT&T not honoring UNLIMITED DATA plans. I have not recieved the email. It is not fair AT&T will not honor what I signed up for with them. What can I do to make AT&T honor their contract with for UNLIMITED DATA?

Message 1 of 100
Professor

Re: AT&T does not HONOR their unlimited data plan contracts

You have no contract with AT&T for unlimited data. Your contract expired a long time ago, and just as you now have no contractual obligation to AT&T, they have no contractual obligation to you. You are on a month to month service plan. Any time they want now, they can force you into a limited data plan. So far, they've chosen not to do that.

"Customers helping customers; not always successfully"
Message 2 of 100
Traveler

My unlimited data plan has not expired.

Message 3 of 100
Traveler

FTC sues AT&T for "limiting" unlimited data. Result: AT&T is has to deliver unlimited data servicesSee the FTC website regarding thishttp://www.consumer.ftc.gov/blog/ftc-sues-att-limiting-unlimited-data 

Message 4 of 100
Scholar

I believe if you will read your contract that you signed when got it, that you will find that you have unlimited data on the phone itself but it doesn't include tethering.

Message 5 of 100
Tutor

They don't honor anything. In fact I went to sign up for a contract because I have been with verizon for 9 yrs. they said we didn't qualify for the next program but we did for zero down. Then said with the zero down we had to pay 2yr price on a phone which I was told later that it was a deposit then told it was for the phone. I really don't think they know anything.

[Legal discussions are not permitted per the Guidelines]

Message 6 of 100
Professor

@0214Fl wrote:

My unlimited data plan has not expired.

I didn't say your plan, I said your contract. The last unlimited ATT contract was sold in 2010. That means the last unlimited contract expired in 2012. ATT has allowed the "plan" to continue for "grandfathered" customers, but the legal fact is you have no existing contract. Try to enforce a contract in a court of law that ended almost 3 years ago. They can shut it off anytime they choose.

Message 7 of 100
Highlighted
Professor

@0214Fl wrote:

FTC sues AT&T for "limiting" unlimited data. Result: AT&T is has to deliver unlimited data servicesSee the FTC website regarding thishttp://www.consumer.ftc.gov/blog/ftc-sues-att-limiting-unlimited-data 

Two key points in that story:

"Even after it stopped offering unlimited data, AT&T allowed customers who already had unlimited plans to renew them."

"The FTC’s case, filed in the U.S District Court for the Northern District of California, seeks to stop AT&T from using data throttling on customers who have been promised unlimited data plans."

As I said, AT&T can stop allowing this any time they please. Nowhere in your original contract did it say you had unlimited data for life. You had a two year contract for unlimited data and that contract was fullfilled and is now over.

Message 8 of 100
Traveler

I do have an unlimited data. Everytime I talk to AT&T they try to switch my unlimited data plan to a limited plan.

Message 9 of 100
ACE - Sage
Solution
Accepted by (Professor)
Accepted by Busternutt
‎09-30-2015 1:39 AM

@0214FI

Picture Busternutt banging his head against the wall....
Yes, he has acknowledged you have a grandfathered PLAN. You only get a 2 year CONTRACT. Once the 2 years is over you keep the plan on a month to month basis, which is why you have unlimited data. Once you were on a month to month plan, AT&T can change the service provided. One of the services, tethering, is not offered unless you are on a paid data plan. This is also why they can throttle your data after 5 GBS.
(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 10 of 100
Professor

@lizdance40 wrote:
@0214FI

Picture Busternutt banging his head against the wall....

Yeap, but only once, lol. I'm not going to argue with this guy. Bottom line, he isn't getting tethering on his unllimited plan, no matter how much he complains.

Message 11 of 100
ACE - Professor
Solution
Accepted by (Professor)
Accepted by Busternutt
‎09-30-2015 1:39 AM

Re: Why can't I tether with my Grandfathered Unlimited Data Plan?

@0214Fl wrote:

Today, I called AT&T to setup a personal hotspot on my iphone. AT&T said I had to get an LIMITED DATA plan. I could not use the UNLIMITED DATA plan I had signed up with. I was told AT&T does not grandfather unlimited data for personal hotspots on my iphone. I asked for an email regarding AT&T not honoring UNLIMITED DATA plans. I have not recieved the email. It is not fair AT&T will not honor what I signed up for with them. What can I do to make AT&T honor their contract with for UNLIMITED DATA?

You misunderstood about "grandfathered unlimited data" plans. Anybody on AT&T's "grandfathered unlimited data" plans are allowed to keep them, but the thing is, "tethering" not allowed! I consider you and everybody else on AT&T with "grandfathered unlimited data" plan lucky, maybe I should have switched to AT&T when they still offering it.Smiley Tongue

Hardcore Pittsburgh Steelers Fan
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 12 of 100
Contributor

Re: Why can't I tether with my Grandfathered Unlimited Data Plan?

ATT's throttling practice have changed significantly ever since the Feds have gotten into the game. Many have gone over the so called 5gig cap. It's not throttled down to uselessness depending on cell tower congestion.

Tethering...many i know of do it. It's unlimited @ useable speeds. You'll still get the text stating you're over the cap..but you're unlimited. Exactly how do you limit or say no to tethering when your plan is unlimited? It's fine to stipulate that all you want if your plan is not unlimited. Sure you can even say that in their legalese..but how are you going to explain that to the judge?lol!

In regards to your contractual agrrement and actual plan...so what? That's a moot point. ATT may indeed have the right to disconnect you or alter the terms after your contractual agreement has expired. The simple fact remaining is that not only are you grandfathered in...it's continuously being renewed.

Now unless ATT feels that the millions of customer's $$$ don't mean anything...sure go right ahead and alienate all of your customers that you've sold unlimited data to..and it's quite a chunk of change mind you. That's one of the reasons why they're being sued in the first place.

Message 13 of 100
Contributor

Question: If I have the "grandfathered unlimited data" plan and I sign a new two year agreement (contract), then isn't that extending their agreement to provide that service? Or how does AT&T avoid unlimited data from being part of the new contract?

Should I ask a lawyer?!? 

Message 14 of 100
ACE - Sage

ATT doesn't keep it out of the contract, nor does the contract specify unlimited data. Customers are allowed to change their data plan while in contract for service.

If it did preserve your unlimited plan as it was originally, it would be limited to 3G speed.  There was no 4 G or LTE at the time unlimited data was offered.  They allow you to keep your existing plan.  Please read the terms of the plan carefully.

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Message 15 of 100
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support