Need your talk or text logs?
MerryWV's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Tuesday, January 22nd, 2019 9:53 PM

What other surprises do iphone 7s carry?

Another nasty surprise about having automatic-pay AT&T service is you can't use the WiFi Calling option which would let me have better service. The reason, I'm told, is that the WiFi Calling option is not open to those on the auto-pay method. I could pay $20 more to go on the pay-by-month plan, but that would take me up to beyond $63 s month for AT&T service that often doesn't have a signal. If I'm lucky, I can get one bar, but partway through the call the service goes bad and disconnects. I wanted to switch to Verizon, but am told the unlocked iphone I bought won't allow me to change from the AT&T I service I originally bought. So, I would appreciate hearing about the other nasty surprises coming my way. 

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

5 years ago

You are confusing things.  

Apple made the iPhone, they decide what phone carriers get.   The version they sold through GSM carrier, like T-mobile and at&t is a GSM only phone.  It’s up to you to do your homework and buy a universal model.  

There are types of plans:  prepaid 30 day, postpaid monthly and prepaid pay per use.  Sounds like you are on prepaid 30 day with auto refill.  

Postpaid has benefits prepaid does not, more towers and coverage, WiFi calling, international roaming.  

Auto pay has nothing to do with WiFi calling.  

While wifi calling is expected on prepaid in this quarter, it is not yet enabled.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

5 years ago

Thank you for trying to help. However, when you write "It’s up to you to do your homework and buy a universal model" how can one do that? I looked at online reviews of the various models and nothing was said about this. When I bought it, refurbished, through Best Buy, there was nothing to indicate it was limited to only GSM. Even my past cheap Androids were not limited to GSM. I spent at least three hours online at various times researching the iPhone 7. I don't know how to do more homework and don't think a phone buyer should have to. Thank you for the rest of the valuable information, especially the part about WiFi calling expected this quarter. I still wish I could change from AT&T to Verizon service.

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

5 years ago

@MerryWV wrote:

Thank you for trying to help. However, when you write "It’s up to you to do your homework and buy a universal model" how can one do that? I looked at online reviews of the various models and nothing was said about this. When I bought it, refurbished, through Best Buy, there was nothing to indicate it was limited to only GSM. Even my past cheap Androids were not limited to GSM. I spent at least three hours online at various times researching the iPhone 7. I don't know how to do more homework and don't think a phone buyer should have to. Thank you for the rest of the valuable information, especially the part about WiFi calling expected this quarter. I still wish I could change from AT&T to Verizon service.

Best Buy is not AT&T.  Best Buy sells a universal model subject to Apples US Flex activation policy.   If it was a trade in, it might have been the AT&T model or T-mobile model which is GSM only.  

As of yesterday, Wifi calling is active on prepaid but requires a new SIM card and reprovisioning with an AT&T store to get it working.  

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

5 years ago

You didn’t have to look any further than Apple.com.  The website lists the models that are GSM only.

94E82FE3-BC58-459B-A6B4-1276E62C4B53.jpeg

1 Attachment

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.