Explore & discover

Helpful Links

What is the cost for RECEIVING texts while roaming internationally on a Passport plan?

Tutor

What is the cost for RECEIVING texts while roaming internationally on a Passport plan?

I will be traveling internationally soon and am looking at using one of the new Passport options for roaming.  However, I can't seem to find accurate information about what the text messaging costs are.  For the international packages (Passport), all over AT&T's Web site, it says that SENDING texts while roaming is unlimited.  However, the fine print keeps saying -- all over the place -- that RECEIVING texts while roaming "are charged at domestic messaging rates", but there is ABSOLUTELY NO INFORMATION ON AT&T's WEB SITE about what those "domestic messaging rates" are.  If any AT&T staff are monitoring, can someone tell me what the charges are for RECEIVING texts while roaming on a Passport plan?  Thank you.

Message 1 of 10
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by djh2dc
‎09-30-2015 1:39 AM

Re: What is the cost for RECEIVING texts while roaming internationally on a Passport plan?

Incoming texts are covered by your domestic text plan so in most cases they are free whether you have the Passport option or not. The only time you would be charged would be if you did not have a domestic text plan and paid per text.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 10
Tutor

Re: What is the cost for RECEIVING texts while roaming internationally on a Passport plan?

OK, thanks...but then why does the fine print confusingly say that received messages are charged according to domestic rates?

Message 3 of 10
Contributor

I have the unlimited text plan back in US but I am currently in Hong Kong and I was wondering if I would be charged for any incoming texts while being on the passport plan.
Message 4 of 10
ACE - Sage

As the previous answer says in some details, no, you are not charged.  Text is free with passport plan. 

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 10
ACE - Expert

@Moiz.riz My experience while being out of the country is receiving texts is free.  

I had an old legacy family plan it worked that way (and it was 50 cents to send if you added no plan).

You do not need the passport for this.  

Sending texts cost money, paying for passport gets you sending texts for free.

The passport option can be added to all sorts of plans, so that's probably why they have the fine print that doesn't actually tell you anything.  You need to check your plan to double-check that detail (we don't know your plan) but we all think it'll be free.  I'm guessing there are some really old plans that people are on that might not have it.  

I will say that I'm looking around and can't find this information anywhere! 

@lizdance40 Any idea where it's written that it's free to receive texts internationally?

That said, I do believe that it is still free even though I can't cite it...

• This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be the correct information...
  • Sometimes information I provide may not be specifically for you, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
    The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, it's particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post).
  • *The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
    Message 6 of 10
    ACE - Sage

Receiving is always free.  With passport sending text is also free.

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
    Message 7 of 10
    ACE - Expert

@lizdance40 I completely believe that receiving texts are always free. I'm just saying I can't find that information on the AT&T site. I've found that fine print a few different times though...

• This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be the correct information...
  • Sometimes information I provide may not be specifically for you, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
    The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, it's particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post).
  • *The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
    Message 8 of 10
    Contributor

I called att for the same question. It's free to send and receive. It's also listed here: https://m.att.com/shopmobile/wireless/international/international-cell-phones.html
    Message 9 of 10
    Contributor

Message 10 of 10
    Share this topic
    Share this topic
    Additional Support