Need your talk or text logs?
djh2dc's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Tuesday, December 2nd, 2014 6:09 PM

What is the cost for RECEIVING texts while roaming internationally on a Passport plan?

I will be traveling internationally soon and am looking at using one of the new Passport options for roaming.  However, I can't seem to find accurate information about what the text messaging costs are.  For the international packages (Passport), all over AT&T's Web site, it says that SENDING texts while roaming is unlimited.  However, the fine print keeps saying -- all over the place -- that RECEIVING texts while roaming "are charged at domestic messaging rates", but there is ABSOLUTELY NO INFORMATION ON AT&T's WEB SITE about what those "domestic messaging rates" are.  If any AT&T staff are monitoring, can someone tell me what the charges are for RECEIVING texts while roaming on a Passport plan?  Thank you.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

9 years ago

Incoming texts are covered by your domestic text plan so in most cases they are free whether you have the Passport option or not. The only time you would be charged would be if you did not have a domestic text plan and paid per text.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

9 years ago

OK, thanks...but then why does the fine print confusingly say that received messages are charged according to domestic rates?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I have the unlimited text plan back in US but I am currently in Hong Kong and I was wondering if I would be charged for any incoming texts while being on the passport plan.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

8 years ago

As the previous answer says in some details, no, you are not charged.  Text is free with passport plan. 

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

8 years ago

@Moiz.riz My experience while being out of the country is receiving texts is free.  

I had an old legacy family plan it worked that way (and it was 50 cents to send if you added no plan).

You do not need the passport for this.  

Sending texts cost money, paying for passport gets you sending texts for free.

The passport option can be added to all sorts of plans, so that's probably why they have the fine print that doesn't actually tell you anything.  You need to check your plan to double-check that detail (we don't know your plan) but we all think it'll be free.  I'm guessing there are some really old plans that people are on that might not have it.  

I will say that I'm looking around and can't find this information anywhere! 

@lizdance40 Any idea where it's written that it's free to receive texts internationally?

That said, I do believe that it is still free even though I can't cite it...

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

8 years ago

Receiving is always free.  With passport sending text is also free.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

8 years ago

@lizdance40 I completely believe that receiving texts are always free. I'm just saying I can't find that information on the AT&T site. I've found that fine print a few different times though...

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

I called att for the same question. It's free to send and receive. It's also listed here: https://m.att.com/shopmobile/wireless/international/international-cell-phones.html
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.