Need your talk or text logs?
jpeeden's profile

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

Wednesday, May 8th, 2013 4:53 PM

Web-based AT&T Messages App not getting text updates

When I got my new phone and realized that there was a web-based text messaging app, I was pretty excited.  I don't get a phone signal in the building I work in, so I thought I would be able to get my texts this way.  It allows me to send and I see texts I have done on my phone previously.  My issue is that it doesn't seem to display new texts when they come in if my phone hasn't processed them already.  As mentioned I don't have a phone signal.  Does this only get a copy of what is on your phone and not what actually comes in.  It's a bit pointless if I can send a message out from this app, but not see a response (which appears to be the case).  Am I doing something wrong, or do I have the wrong expectations?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Former Moderator

• 

773 Messages

11 years ago

@jpeeden wrote:

When I got my new phone and realized that there was a web-based text messaging app, I was pretty excited.  I don't get a phone signal in the building I work in, so I thought I would be able to get my texts this way.  It allows me to send and I see texts I have done on my phone previously.  My issue is that it doesn't seem to display new texts when they come in if my phone hasn't processed them already.  As mentioned I don't have a phone signal.  Does this only get a copy of what is on your phone and not what actually comes in.  It's a bit pointless if I can send a message out from this app, but not see a response (which appears to be the case).  Am I doing something wrong, or do I have the wrong expectations?

jpeeden,

Good question on this service. I have included a link below on AT&T Messages. The one thing I noticed in small writing at the bottom of the page is " Your phone needs to be powered on, in order for you to send and receive messages on your computer or tablet." I'm guessing that your phone will have to receive test messages first in order to view them online. One solution as an option, although slightly inconvenient is to leave your phone outside in your car where it can receive the messages? I know, it's not the best solution.

AT&T Messages

James

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

11 years ago

Ah... So my expectations were incorrect.  When I get back out to the car and take the phone out of airplane mode, I get all the text messages I've missed that day.  The servers have been storing them somewhere, just waiting to deliver.  It seems that an optimal use of the software would deliver them to the web app if it is open (especially if the phone is not available).  If I have read them, then I wouldn't get notifications on getting the phone back in service, but they would still stay synced in the app.  I do understand now that this is not how it works.  Perhaps, if it is technically possible, someone could look into adding this improvement to the software.

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

It would be nice to have the option to receive the messages, on the website or phone or both.

Teacher

• 

19 Messages

7 years ago

My husband and I switched from Verizon to AT&T less than two weeks ago and when texting someone from our cell phones, only his/my messages show up on messages.att.net (AT&T messages). So when we move from cell phone to PC/tablet/iPad we still have to look back at the cell phone to view what they have texted. As big as AT&T is and for as long as they have been in business, WHY this issue? I see that this issue has been posted about since 2013. Am I overlooking any solutions to this? We never had any problems when we used the Verizon app on his tablet and my iPad. We aren't going to take our phones back to AT&T for a partial refund after the restocking fee and return to Verizon as it really is too much of a hazzle but after our cell phones are paid off in two years, if the problem still remains we will be returning to Verizon. I do regret that I didn't picked phones that were unlocked so we could have taken them to Verizon.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.