Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Sep 24, 2012
5:33:07 PM
View profile
Visual Voice Mail Provisioning
Edited by ATTMarianaCM on Sep 10, 2013 at 7:51:09 AM

My husband and I both just upgraded to iPhone 5. Visual voice mail was working on both phones before the upgrade. However, we are not able to set up visual voicemail on the new phones. We just get a message saying, "Voicemail Unavailable. Unable to connect. Try again later." When you call our phone you hear our old message, but we get no notification that a voicemail was left. Help, please!!

My husband and I both just upgraded to iPhone 5. Visual voice mail was working on both phones before the upgrade. However, we are not able to set up visual voicemail on the new phones. We just get a message saying, "Voicemail Unavailable. Unable to connect. Try again later." When you call our phone you hear our old message, but we get no notification that a voicemail was left. Help, please!!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Jan 17, 2013 6:35:30 PM
(0)
Teacher

If you upgraded at a store like Walmart then they probably selected the stupid option of "data unlimited...without visual voicemail". See http://queenofthenerds.net/fix-visual-voicemail-broken-after-iphone-5-upgrade/comment-page-1/#comment-670 where she points out that you can go into your AT&T account and select the option of “Data Unlimited for iPhone on 4G LTE” instead of “Data Unlimited for iPhone on 4G LTE without visual voicemail”  I just did it - it's easy to do and thenere's no charge of any kind to switch.

Accepted Solution

Visual Voice Mail Provisioning

[ Edited ]
43 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(43)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 24, 2012 5:52:55 PM
(0)
Professor

Try manually calling your voicemail on your iPhone (Dialing your own number) and see if it is set up. Sometimes when you activate a new phone, you have to set it up again

Try manually calling your voicemail on your iPhone (Dialing your own number) and see if it is set up. Sometimes when you activate a new phone, you have to set it up again

Re: Visual Voice Mail on iPhone 5

2 of 44 (175,286 Views)
(1)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 24, 2012 6:04:42 PM
(1)
Professor
Did you try the voicemail more than once? When I got my new phone, it dialed the viocemail phone number the first time. Then I had to re-enter my VM password. After closing VM, visual voicemail was back the next time I tried.
Did you try the voicemail more than once? When I got my new phone, it dialed the viocemail phone number the first time. Then I had to re-enter my VM password. After closing VM, visual voicemail was back the next time I tried.

3 of 44 (175,270 Views)
(1)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 24, 2012 6:20:43 PM
(1)
Tutor

I have tried on the phone many times today with no luck. I can dial my own number and hear my messages. It is set up. I just cannot see them or listen to them on the phone.

I have tried on the phone many times today with no luck. I can dial my own number and hear my messages. It is set up. I just cannot see them or listen to them on the phone.

4 of 44 (175,262 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 24, 2012 7:39:38 PM
(0)
Master

I didn't get the pop-up asking for my voicemail pin until after I rebooted the phone and it reconnected to the network.

I didn't get the pop-up asking for my voicemail pin until after I rebooted the phone and it reconnected to the network.

5 of 44 (175,201 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 27, 2012 6:26:47 AM
(0)
Tutor

Now, it *appears* to be working -- but not really. When I restart my phone all my voicemails pop up as unheard. I can listen to them and all seems well. However, I'm not getting any new ones unless I restart my phone again. I don't even know I have new voicemails until I restart the phone. Then, all the old, deleted ones and any new ones are all back again. Help!

Now, it *appears* to be working -- but not really. When I restart my phone all my voicemails pop up as unheard. I can listen to them and all seems well. However, I'm not getting any new ones unless I restart my phone again. I don't even know I have new voicemails until I restart the phone. Then, all the old, deleted ones and any new ones are all back again. Help!

6 of 44 (174,114 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 28, 2012 2:15:37 PM
(0)
Contributor
My visual voicemail on my iPhone 5 isn't working as well. I don't ever get it to connect. Always get the message. Unable to connect. Please try again later. Nobody seems to know a answer. the phone works perfectly besides this.
My visual voicemail on my iPhone 5 isn't working as well. I don't ever get it to connect. Always get the message. Unable to connect. Please try again later. Nobody seems to know a answer. the phone works perfectly besides this.

7 of 44 (173,631 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 28, 2012 5:37:08 PM
(0)
Contributor

During voicemail setup on the iphone5, I'm getting about a minute spinning at "Saving Password ...", then "Voicemail Unavailable"

During voicemail setup on the iphone5, I'm getting about a minute spinning at "Saving Password ...", then "Voicemail Unavailable"

8 of 44 (173,277 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 28, 2012 5:39:05 PM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by sgrant5724 on Sep 28, 2012 at 5:39:55 PM

Having the same problem - spent an hour with ATT chat tech support - no resolution.  Performed soft reset, reset network settings several times; checked greeting and changed password (phone never prompted for new one), tech removed vm from my account and re-added it - nothing fixed it.......

Having the same problem - spent an hour with ATT chat tech support - no resolution.  Performed soft reset, reset network settings several times; checked greeting and changed password (phone never prompted for new one), tech removed vm from my account and re-added it - nothing fixed it.......

[ Edited ]
9 of 44 (173,269 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 28, 2012 5:55:40 PM
(0)
Tutor

Same problem here.  iphone3Gs to iphone5 upgrade.  FIrst it told me visual voice mail was not available, but there was a button to call.  I heard a message, but was was never notified of having one.

Then I turned off phone and restarted.  Now visual voicemail screen is there, but it appears to hang while saving either default or custom greeting.  Called from landline and mobile and left message and was never notified and cannot get the voicemail.

Same error as others report, unavailable, try again later.

Same problem here.  iphone3Gs to iphone5 upgrade.  FIrst it told me visual voice mail was not available, but there was a button to call.  I heard a message, but was was never notified of having one.

Then I turned off phone and restarted.  Now visual voicemail screen is there, but it appears to hang while saving either default or custom greeting.  Called from landline and mobile and left message and was never notified and cannot get the voicemail.

Same error as others report, unavailable, try again later.

10 of 44 (173,214 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 28, 2012 7:16:48 PM
(0)
Contributor

Just upgraded from an Android to the iPhone 4S and with the upgrade the OS upgraded to IOS 6.  The voicemail notification and voicemail itself worked at least the first day.  Just upgrade my wife's phone yesterday to the 4S and she had problems today so I check mine, same problem.  I spent over an hour with tech support, we reload the OS, reset network settings several times and nothing seems to work.

Just upgraded from an Android to the iPhone 4S and with the upgrade the OS upgraded to IOS 6.  The voicemail notification and voicemail itself worked at least the first day.  Just upgrade my wife's phone yesterday to the 4S and she had problems today so I check mine, same problem.  I spent over an hour with tech support, we reload the OS, reset network settings several times and nothing seems to work.

11 of 44 (172,928 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 28, 2012 8:31:03 PM
(0)
Tutor
Similar issue here. Upgraded from 3GS to iPhone 5 earlier this week. Got a voicemail from my mom today & it prompted me for a password. Unfortunately I entered the phone password instead of the vm password on autopilot & then it would not let me reenter the correct one.

I was able to hear the message by calling up & my greeting & password were unchanged but no visual voicemail.

Called 611, reset my password, had a friend leave a new message, didn't show up. Tried to set up voicemail, would not save. Called up again & mg greeting was still there & the message was there. Saved the message & then no longer had the ability to set up voicemail. Called 611 again, they offered to reset my password. I said that didn't work, do you have something better, she said no.

So I looked up the nearest AT&T store. On my way she called me back & said the visual voicemail server is down in my area. Yet, my friend 10 mins from me has his working. Went into the store they called my phone left a message & reset my password. I was once again unable to set up voicemail. 2 other folks in that store & apple employee in apple store across the way unable to reach their visual voicemail. The store says the server must be down.

I don't get it though! Why does my friend 10 minutes from me have no issue? Grrrrrrr. This had better resolve soon.
Similar issue here. Upgraded from 3GS to iPhone 5 earlier this week. Got a voicemail from my mom today & it prompted me for a password. Unfortunately I entered the phone password instead of the vm password on autopilot & then it would not let me reenter the correct one.

I was able to hear the message by calling up & my greeting & password were unchanged but no visual voicemail.

Called 611, reset my password, had a friend leave a new message, didn't show up. Tried to set up voicemail, would not save. Called up again & mg greeting was still there & the message was there. Saved the message & then no longer had the ability to set up voicemail. Called 611 again, they offered to reset my password. I said that didn't work, do you have something better, she said no.

So I looked up the nearest AT&T store. On my way she called me back & said the visual voicemail server is down in my area. Yet, my friend 10 mins from me has his working. Went into the store they called my phone left a message & reset my password. I was once again unable to set up voicemail. 2 other folks in that store & apple employee in apple store across the way unable to reach their visual voicemail. The store says the server must be down.

I don't get it though! Why does my friend 10 minutes from me have no issue? Grrrrrrr. This had better resolve soon.

12 of 44 (172,704 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 28, 2012 8:47:05 PM
(0)
Voyager
Edited by danggg on Sep 28, 2012 at 9:02:04 PM

Yet another user here that can't get visual voicemail to work. Got my iPhone 5 this afternoon. Checked voicemail on my old iPhone 4 this morning no problem. Upgraded to iPhone 5, then problem. Voicemail is set up and is working properly. 

Spent an hour on the line with two different ATT reps, couldn't fix it. Went through resetting vmail passwords, calling voicemail, resetting passwords and like everyone else in here getting the "Voicemail Unavailable" error. Rep said to restore phone as new, just did that. Still not working. Frustrating to say the least.  Apple says call AT&T Smiley Sad 

Yet another user here that can't get visual voicemail to work. Got my iPhone 5 this afternoon. Checked voicemail on my old iPhone 4 this morning no problem. Upgraded to iPhone 5, then problem. Voicemail is set up and is working properly. 

Spent an hour on the line with two different ATT reps, couldn't fix it. Went through resetting vmail passwords, calling voicemail, resetting passwords and like everyone else in here getting the "Voicemail Unavailable" error. Rep said to restore phone as new, just did that. Still not working. Frustrating to say the least.  Apple says call AT&T Smiley Sad 

[ Edited ]
13 of 44 (172,639 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 28, 2012 8:52:29 PM
(0)
Explorer

Another iPhone 5 upgraded with no Visual Voicemail here. No notifications. When I go to select a greeting and save it, I get "Voicemail Unavailable - Unable to connect. Try again later"

Would love someone at AT&T to do some checking on this. There's a  thread building over at Macrumors on this issue too.

Another iPhone 5 upgraded with no Visual Voicemail here. No notifications. When I go to select a greeting and save it, I get "Voicemail Unavailable - Unable to connect. Try again later"

Would love someone at AT&T to do some checking on this. There's a  thread building over at Macrumors on this issue too.

14 of 44 (172,614 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 28, 2012 9:06:28 PM
(0)
Contributor
Same issue as those above. No way server is down. My wife on 4s is working fine. Problem started with upgrade
Same issue as those above. No way server is down. My wife on 4s is working fine. Problem started with upgrade

15 of 44 (172,569 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 28, 2012 9:29:17 PM
(0)
Tutor

Same issue here. Upgraded from iPhone 3GS to 5 today ... And Visual Voicemail is now unavailable ... Unable to connect. Hangs when trying to save greeting choice. 

Same issue here. Upgraded from iPhone 3GS to 5 today ... And Visual Voicemail is now unavailable ... Unable to connect. Hangs when trying to save greeting choice. 

16 of 44 (172,517 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 28, 2012 9:44:36 PM
(0)
Contributor

Same problem here. All the excitement to get new phone is gone. Wish to have my iPhone 4 back !

Same problem here. All the excitement to get new phone is gone. Wish to have my iPhone 4 back !

17 of 44 (172,467 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 28, 2012 11:54:40 PM
(0)
Mentor

Count me in as we'll, iPhone 5 is working great except for visual voicemail, I upgraded from a 3GS and when I try to save a recorded greeting in visual voicemail I get the "unable to connect to voicemail pop up" I called AT&T and spoke to their tech support we went thru the standard steps- reboot the iPhone, reset network settings, still not working, AT&t says its due to iOS 6 and that there is a trouble ticket open for this issue. im located in the Bronx, NY. I hope we all get up and running soon. 

Count me in as we'll, iPhone 5 is working great except for visual voicemail, I upgraded from a 3GS and when I try to save a recorded greeting in visual voicemail I get the "unable to connect to voicemail pop up" I called AT&T and spoke to their tech support we went thru the standard steps- reboot the iPhone, reset network settings, still not working, AT&t says its due to iOS 6 and that there is a trouble ticket open for this issue. im located in the Bronx, NY. I hope we all get up and running soon. 

18 of 44 (172,216 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 29, 2012 4:41:39 AM
(0)
Professor
Not sure it's related to iOS6 as otherwise everyone would have the problem. It works fine on my iPhone 5. First time I access the visual voicemail, it called the voicemail number and I had to reenter my password, but after that, visual voicemail popped back up, including the old voicemails that I had saved.
Not sure it's related to iOS6 as otherwise everyone would have the problem. It works fine on my iPhone 5. First time I access the visual voicemail, it called the voicemail number and I had to reenter my password, but after that, visual voicemail popped back up, including the old voicemails that I had saved.

19 of 44 (172,104 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 29, 2012 4:55:41 AM
(0)
Tutor
Mine is now working. Everyone try again this morning!
Mine is now working. Everyone try again this morning!

20 of 44 (172,098 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 29, 2012 5:24:18 AM
(0)
Mentor
My visual voice mail is working now as well, I tried it just after 6am Eastern time, hope everybody is back up.
My visual voice mail is working now as well, I tried it just after 6am Eastern time, hope everybody is back up.

21 of 44 (172,072 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 29, 2012 6:26:18 AM
(0)
Tutor

Mine still is not showing that i even have messages. When I see I have a missed call I have to restart my phone and then the voicemails pop up and I can listen to them. . Very frustrating!

Mine still is not showing that i even have messages. When I see I have a missed call I have to restart my phone and then the voicemails pop up and I can listen to them. . Very frustrating!

22 of 44 (172,035 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 29, 2012 9:03:57 AM
(0)
Tutor

i was having the same issue. I turn my phone off for 3 minutes and turned it back on. It works now.

i was having the same issue. I turn my phone off for 3 minutes and turned it back on. It works now.

23 of 44 (171,933 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 29, 2012 10:01:20 AM
(0)
Voyager
Follow up: mine is working now too. Woke up this morning with voicemail notifications on the lock screen.
Follow up: mine is working now too. Woke up this morning with voicemail notifications on the lock screen.

24 of 44 (171,883 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 30, 2012 8:04:15 AM
(0)
Tutor

Followup:  Also working for me today.  Was able to save my greeting last night and testsed it this morning.  Got notiifcation (red dot with number) and was able to retrieve voicemail.

Followup:  Also working for me today.  Was able to save my greeting last night and testsed it this morning.  Got notiifcation (red dot with number) and was able to retrieve voicemail.

25 of 44 (171,452 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 2, 2012 12:53:52 PM
(0)
Teacher

No Visual Voicemail here either!  Maybe it's a OS issue or new iPhone issue?

That sucks that I have to "dail/call" voicemail everytime?!  It's like we're back in 1994?!

I hope an iOS update will fix this shiat!

That sucks that I have to "dail/call" voicemail everytime?!  It's like we're back in 1994?!

26 of 44 (169,868 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 3, 2012 12:43:27 AM
(0)
Master

shie0023 wrote:

Doubtful its a phone issue.  Generally this is caused by a cellular data network issue in your area.

shie0023 wrote:

Doubtful its a phone issue.  Generally this is caused by a cellular data network issue in your area.

27 of 44 (169,300 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 3, 2012 7:23:51 PM
(0)
Contributor

I migrated from iPhone 3G to iPhone 5 a week ago and had no issues with visual voicemail as it migrated right over from my 3G with no setup required.

Yesterday, my iPhone displayed "visual voicemail unavailable" and I had to access my VM manually.   I powered down my phone and when  it was turned back on, the Visual Voicemail was now working.

Today, I had two instinces where Visual Voicemail was "unavailable" again, and when I powered down again, it came back.   The 2nd time, it came back quickly before I had the chance to power the phone down.

Are the prevailing thoughs that it is a carrier issue or an IOS6/iPhone 5 issue?    FWIW, I never had this issue with my iPhone 3G.

I migrated from iPhone 3G to iPhone 5 a week ago and had no issues with visual voicemail as it migrated right over from my 3G with no setup required.

Yesterday, my iPhone displayed "visual voicemail unavailable" and I had to access my VM manually.   I powered down my phone and when  it was turned back on, the Visual Voicemail was now working.

Today, I had two instinces where Visual Voicemail was "unavailable" again, and when I powered down again, it came back.   The 2nd time, it came back quickly before I had the chance to power the phone down.

Are the prevailing thoughs that it is a carrier issue or an IOS6/iPhone 5 issue?    FWIW, I never had this issue with my iPhone 3G.

28 of 44 (168,625 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 4, 2012 5:36:30 AM
(0)
Voyager

Same problem here been a week. Got a call yesterday from AT&T billing yesterday saying that they had did someing and to re boot my phone  did all that and it worked for 2 calls then right back to not available. At the end of the call from AT&T he said it might be my device. Thought that also till I am seeing other people having problem as well.  Could it be the OS 6 ????   OS 6 works on my wifes IPhone 4. 

Same problem here been a week. Got a call yesterday from AT&T billing yesterday saying that they had did someing and to re boot my phone  did all that and it worked for 2 calls then right back to not available. At the end of the call from AT&T he said it might be my device. Thought that also till I am seeing other people having problem as well.  Could it be the OS 6 ????   OS 6 works on my wifes IPhone 4. 

29 of 44 (168,315 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 4, 2012 5:54:59 AM
(0)
Voyager

Funny thing is when I frist got the phone and set up the voice mail I though it was working fine I could be wrong on this.

I am suppose to be getting a call from a AT&T teck tonight around 7pm est she was on the phone last week for two hours working and documenting my problem    Lets see if I get a call 

Funny thing is when I frist got the phone and set up the voice mail I though it was working fine I could be wrong on this.

I am suppose to be getting a call from a AT&T teck tonight around 7pm est she was on the phone last week for two hours working and documenting my problem    Lets see if I get a call 

30 of 44 (168,309 Views)