Need your talk or text logs?
jklaffer's profile

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

Friday, November 16th, 2012 6:31 PM

Using iPhone 5 personal hotspot with Playstation 3 / PS3?

I am trying to use my iPhone 4g personal hotspot to play online with my Playstation 3 (I have no other options). My PS3 will connect to the internet but it will not connect when "in game". Basically all connection fuctionality is there for the PS3. I can log into to the Playstation network, see online friends, watch Netflix, shop the PSN store etc. Everything seems to be ok until trying to connect to an online game.  I can see my online friends and they can see me, but connection to the hosts always fails. I'm getting a fairly strong 4g signal. Has anyone been able to use their iPhone hotspot to play / connect to online games? My only guess would be that is a security setting. Is it possible to view and edit the hotspot settings as you can do with a regular router? Any assistance would be appreciated. 

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

This issue is caused by the NAT type setting. Apple has confirmed that the NAT type cannot be changed, thus online gaming is not possible with the ATT iPhone hotspot. ATT is falsely advertising that online gaming is possible with the iPhone hotspot (with the additional plan required to access it). This false advertising lured me out of my unlimited plan in order to access the hotspot feature for online gaming. After finding out that online gaming is not possible ATT would not acknowledge their false advertisng claims regarding the hotspot capabilities, nor would they allow me to revert back to my original plan.  

From the ATT website:

"About Personal Mobile Hotspots

Personal Mobile Hotspot allows you to share your AT&T mobile broadband connection with other devices using a compatible smartphone or AT&T Mobile Hotspot device. Wi-Fi-enabled devices like laptops,gaming, music devices, tablets, and e-readers can connect to Mobile Hotspots."

Guru

• 

682 Messages

11 years ago

Sorry, but it's not false advertising. Every possible usage of every type of device on that list isn't permitted under AT&T's Wireless Customer Agreement. This is straight from the WCA:

AT&T’s wireless data services may not be used in any manner that has the effect of excessively contributing to network congestion, hindering other customers’ access to the network, or degrading network performance by maintaining a sustained and continuous wireless data service connection or active wireless Internet connection. For example, this includes, but is not limited to, server devices or host computer applications such as continuous Web camera posts or broadcasts, automatic data feeds, or automated machine-to-machine connections; “auto-responders,” “cancel-bots,” or similar automated or manual routines that generate excessive amounts of traffic or that disrupt user groups or email use by others; use of the service as a substitute or backup for private lines or full-time or dedicated data connections; peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing services; and software or other devices that maintain continuous active Internet connections when a connection would otherwise be idle or any “keep alive” functions, unless they adhere to AT&T data retry requirements (as may be modified from time to time).
AT&T’s wireless data services also may not be used with high bandwidth applications, services and content that are not optimized to work with AT&T's wireless data services and, therefore disproportionately and excessively contribute to network congestion. This includes, but is not limited to, redirecting television signals for viewing on computing devices, web broadcasting, and/or the operation of servers, telemetry devices, or supervisory control and data acquisition devices, unless they meet AT&T's wireless data services optimization requirements.

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

Online gaming will work. You just won't be able to host games. You can still connect to games being hosted by others.

The Vita also always registers as NAT Type 3 over the mobile network. Yet it can still participate in games.

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@Laraul wrote:
Online gaming will work. You just won't be able to host games. You can still connect to games being hosted by others.

The Vita also always registers as NAT Type 3 over the mobile network. Yet it can still participate in games.

the other issue is going to be latency, RTS games will have the player at a massive disadvantace

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.