Need your talk or text logs?
Celeste8157's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Wednesday, December 19th, 2012 7:53 PM

Upgrading & data plan

it's time for an upgrade on my dads phone.  he still uses my first phone from 10 years ago so he obviously doesn't need nor want a new phone, but i do.  the problem is the required data plan.  my question is if i get a new phone on his line, but never activate it, will the new data plan still be added?  i already have a data plan on my line, so using a new phone on it won't change anything. 

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Former Community Manager

• 

5.2K Messages

11 years ago

You can use your Dad's upgrade for yourself, rather than upgrading his line. (As long as he's ok with that ;))

If you can, I recommend popping into an AT&T store to do this as it will be helpful to have a rep walk you through the process. 

If you're not an authorized user on your Dad's account, he'll need to be there with you. 

If you'd prefer to do it on your own, here is an article that can help: http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB411462&cv=820,742#fbid=EPni3hL70Nj (note, the article refers to an iPhone, but is relevant to this question)

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

11 years ago

Thanks for your reply, but I need to know if yes data plan will still be added to my dad's line even if I don't Activate the new phone on my line. I'm asking this because before I got my first Android, I had NEVER Activated a phone when I upgraded. I didn't even know you we're supposed to. Anyway, when I got my Android, I was obviously forced into a data plan. I didn't Activate the phone and had been using the internet, and all if a sudden got a text saying I had used like $50 worth if data. So I called att and asked them why when I had a data plan now and they said I had to Activate the new phone before the new plan would be active.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

11 years ago

Sorry, the spell check made some errors: I wanted to know if the data plan would still be added to my dad's line even if I never Activate the new phone on HIS line (not mine).

Professor

• 

2.1K Messages

11 years ago

If you go to a corporate AT&T store as Jamileh suggests, they can do it without your father's line being hit with a data plan. You need to explain to the salesperson what you want to do.

Even if a data plan was added to his line, as long as he's not using a smartphone it can be removed.

If you try to upgrade online, the data plan will be automatically added to his line.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

11 years ago

Thanks Max! I understand now.

Former Community Manager

• 

5.2K Messages

11 years ago

Thanks Max! 🙂

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.