Need your talk or text logs?
tda3082's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Friday, January 4th, 2019 6:21 PM

Unwanted texts from mms.cricketwireless.net

I posted my phone number in a "for sale" ad on craigslist. Got a spam/scam text from 1410100XXX. Fine - I can block one number and move on.   BUT, somehow the scammer messaged many people the same thing, and now I am receiving all the replies to the scammer's original message, all from different 1410X00XXX numbers, with the format FRM:@mms.cricketwireless.net.  This has happened to me twice in the last month.  AT&T should work with Cricket to fix their apparent security loophole.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

5 years ago

There is no security loophole, at least not with what you are experiencing. The scammer is simply sending the text through the email to text gateway. They send the text to you through email by sending to "yournumber"@txt.att.net. or "yournumber"@mms.att.net. Cricket has a similar gateway, so when the spam is sent to a Cricket number and they reply, it is like replying to all on an email. Your best defense is to forward the spam to text to "spam". Hopefully ATT will block the original sender from using the gateway.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

Thanks for the explanation. It may not be a security issue per se but I feel like the carriers should mitigate this kind of anonymous mass texting.

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

5 years ago

@tda3082

They do.  Group text is limited to 10.   The rest is up the the user.  

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

I just received 7 and the other today 17. They say they are from a google group but I have never joined a google group. I did place an ad on craigslist. There is a unsubscribe email that I used but still got a couple more after that. What is their purpose? Are these legitimate numbers that are getting spammed on their end too? Very frustrating. 

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

The calls all came from mms.cricket.net numbers through the 410-100XXX. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

Getting the same. All from 410-100-0XX or 410-200-5XX

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

Same here, how to block? Always returns "recipient does not exist here." Has an ".eml file; " please help.

• 

6 Messages

4 years ago

Getting these non stop. How do we block all of them?

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

He, [email scrubbed], has started it again with attempting to scam anyone with a similiar phone number as myself in group texting.  But for some reason the (Edited per community guidelines) receiving the texts actually respond STOP or with some made up story that I'm a 14 year old minor.  Responding gets you snagged.  People need to be educated about these leeches and block, or turn OFF the group messages and DO NOT RESPOND.  These are leeches, scammers and frauds just attempting to get your info.

(edited)

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

I am getting spam texts from a number with cricket wireless in the name. 20 people are in this group text. This is unsolicited and harassment. I’ve blocked the number and I’ve hid the Alerts.  But every time a person from the group text replies we all get the reply. How do I stop this? How do I put my number on a do not call registry that works!?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.