Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Unlimited Plus Plan - 22GB of data plus 10GB of hotspot

Highlighted
Contributor

Unlimited Plus Plan - 22GB of data plus 10GB of hotspot

Does this mean you get 22GB of high-speed data per line AND 10GB of high-speed hotspot for a grand total of 32GB of high-speed internet data PER LINE??  Or does the 10GB of high-speed hotspot count towards your overall total of 22GB of high-speed data??

Message 1 of 55
ACE - Sage
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by Kuzzie1
‎06-04-2017 6:24 PM

Re: Unlimited Plus Plan - 22GB of data plus 10GB of hotspot

Yes, it's per line.  So 4 lines would have a sure 88 gigs at high speed and 40 gigs of tethered high speed.  As each line hits 22 gigs, that line is reprioritized.  Unlike throttling, it only may mean the data speed could be slow if the network is congested.   We have had no one complain of hitting the wall once they reach 22 gigs.   

https://www.att.com/plans/unlimited-data-plans.html

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 55
Contributor

Thanks a lot, that's an awesome deal!

Message 3 of 55
ACE - Expert

@Kuzzie1 I believe the 10GB of hotspot count towards your line total of 22GB.

To be clear, depending on the tower congestion in your area, you might get HUNDREDS of GB at high speed. There are people who never notice having any priority problem after 22GB or it's so minimal to them that it's no big deal to them.

• Rember the Golden Rule: Treat others how you would like to be treated.
  • Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 55
Tutor

ATT says something completely different.  Do you know of any webpages that say the same thing?

Message 5 of 55
ACE - Expert

@camman68 I've seen nothing that says they are separate pools, if they were it seems like they'd advertise the fact since that's a minor extra benefit.  

The 10GB is used by the phone, if the phone uses 22GB it might possibly slow down; I'd say the 10GB is part of the 22GB (I don't think there isn't a 10GB deprioritization bonus for people who tether).

Tethering & Mobile Hotspot: Includes up to 10GB per line per month. After 10GB, tethering speed will be slowed to a max of 128Kbps for the rest of the bill cycle... From https://www.att.com/plans/unlimited-data-plans.html

• Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.
Message 6 of 55
Tutor

According to ATT (I have the chat transcript), streaming 30+ hours of DirecTV using a Roku tethered to an iPhone 5s is less than 1GB of data.  When I questioned this amount, the tech agent told me it was "common sense" that streaming TV or movies used very little data.

My phone shows that I have used 20GB in a week.  The tech agent says less than 1GB is hotspot.  It seems to me that the 20GB must include the streaming ROKU data but the agent says otherwise.  What is your opinion?

Message 7 of 55
ACE - Expert

camman68 wrote:

According to ATT (I have the chat transcript), streaming 30+ hours of DirecTV using a Roku tethered to an iPhone 5s is less than 1GB of data.  When I questioned this amount, the tech agent told me it was "common sense" that streaming TV or movies used very little data.

My phone shows that I have used 20GB in a week.  The tech agent says less than 1GB is hotspot.  It seems to me that the 20GB must include the streaming ROKU data but the agent says otherwise.  What is your opinion?

I would say that tech was a right or wrong depending on stream quality....  Netflix will use about 3gb per hour on HD....  but only .03 an hour on low.  so well lets see if you do it on low its about .9 gb if you just use 30 hours.

Message 8 of 55
ACE - Expert

@camman68 That would be incorrect, video is pretty much the biggest user of data.

DirecTV streamed from your MOBILE DirecTV APP on a MOBILE DEVICE does not count towards your plan data.

A Roku is not guaranteed to have free data (although there is the occasional report).

While your phone has used 20GB (which it did), what really matters is the AT&T site, when I use the app on a mobile device it separates the data off at att.com and might show me 15 GB was sponsored DTV data (which doesn't count against my plan).

Message 9 of 55
ACE - Expert

GLIMMERMAN76 wrote:

camman68 wrote:

I would say that tech was a right or wrong depending on stream quality....  Netflix will use about 3gb per hour on HD....  but only .03 an hour on low.  so well lets see if you do it on low its about .9 gb if you just use 30 hours.

That's 30MB an hour on low, that seems really low...

Can you even choose the data quality on a Roku? (A non-mobile client)

Netflix says "Low (0.3 GB per hour)", that's 3 hours for 1GB. (less than SD quality)

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/87

Regardless, I don't think I want to be watching less than SD quality.

Message 10 of 55
ACE - Expert

Last time I trust a 3rd party site. Yeah if it's .3 and not .03 then yeah it's going to eat data
Message 11 of 55
Tutor

Here is what happened.....

I decided to use my iPhone to stream my "DirecTV NOW" (which is completely different than "DirecTV".  According to ATT website, Hotspot data is 10GB per month.  Once you've used 10GB, it says it WILL slow speeds to 128.  I assumed that I could use up the 10GB.  Once it slowed down, I would stop streaming.  Instead, it never slowed down and it appears that it just started eating up the remainder of my monthly data.  When I asked ATT, they said that I had used 0.97GB of hotspot data this billing period.  This is completely incorrect.  I watched the Directors Cut of "The Watchmen" in HD and it is a little over 3 hours long.

Since the website said the Unlimited Plus was limited to 10GB, I didn't think I'd be allowed to go over.  The ATT rep just keeps talking in circles and won't answer any questions.

I've read elsewhere that ATT has no way to tell people how much of their hotspot data has been used.  Is this correct?  Is there any way for a customer to check this data?

Additionally, the first ATT rep says I've used 22.8GB.  The second rep says I've used 18.6GB.  Texting *data# says I've used 19,007 and the ATT app on the phone says I've used 19.6 GB.  

"Yes, the AT&T UNLIMITED PLUS℠ plan includes 10GB Mobile Hotspot/tethering per line per month. After 10GB, tethering speed will be slowed to a max of 128Kbps for the rest of the bill cycle. All tethering data usage for that line, including sponsored data if tethered, will be impacted after reaching 10GB in a bill cycle.  The AT&T UNLIMITED CHOICE℠plan does not include mobile Hotspot/tethering (except for eligible Connected Cars, Laptop Connect, Hotspots, and Wireless Home Phone and Internet.)."

Message 12 of 55
ACE - Expert

@camman68 You can check on your phone on how much tethering has been done. (AT&T doesn't seem to be slowing it yet)

It's UNLIMITED, I'm not so sure why you are so worried about it. Unless you are suffering from severe deprioritization where you live, then I wouldn't even be concerned.

What device are you hot spotting to watch DTV NOW?

Message 13 of 55
Tutor

According to my phone, I have used 23.4GB in "Personal Hotspot".  According to AT&T, I've used 0.97GB.

According to my phone, I've used 81.5GB of Cellular Data in the current period.  According to ATT, I've used somewhere between 18 & 23 - depending on who you ask.

I'm worried because I live in a rural area so DSL, Cable, etc is not an option.  The ONLY data I get is from ATT.  At this point in my bill cycle, I should still have 15+GB left.  According to them, I have ZERO left.  

Is it really too much to ask for ATT to provide accurate info to their customers?  They already get to write all the rules and people must agree to them.  Since they get to write them, is it too much to ask them to abide by them?   There are quite a few of us who think that they are just about the crappiest company on the planet.  We tried to stay away from them but they bought our last two cell companies so we have no other options.  

Message 14 of 55
ACE - Expert

@camman68 It's UNLIMITED, how do you have ZERO left?

(make sure your "current period" is set properly)

Message 15 of 55
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support