Need your talk or text logs?
J_pittman51's profile

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

Wednesday, March 29th, 2017 3:55 AM

Unlimited Plus: Deprioritization or Throttling?

I currently have the old mobile share plan. If I hit my shared limit I pay the overage and get another GB of high speed data.

I've been looking at the new "unlimited plus" plan as its called. I see it has a 22GB cap and then something happens. I call it something because the website says one thing and I've talked to 3 service reps who say the opposite.

The website says once you hit the cap if you are on a heavy congested tower you may experience a slow down (I'm paraphrasing slightly) for an undefined period of time then you will return to normal. That's fine that's deprioritization. The service reps say once you hit 22GB you will be throttled to 128kbs for the remainder of the billing cycle.

Well these are two VERY different things. I can handle being slowed down then returning to normal speed. I can't handle being slowed down for my billing cycle.

Has anyone gotten this plan and experienced what happens or can anyone tell me what they've heard?

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

7 years ago

@jt212s 

Doesn't look good for those who go off script.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

7 years ago

Thank you all for you time and answers. Does anyone remember when buying a phone and choosing a plan was simple haha???

Now it what's included what's excluded and what's limited and how bad.

I think I will take the plunge I hate I don't get to keep my discounts. I will do u limited plus with directv now. Which I don't want the extra tv service I have Comcast and they let me stream everything. However if the streaming is mostly free it may very well be worth the addition.

I just didn't want to change our plan and my other phone which is using quite a bit of data to burn up the 22GB and get throttled to 0 for potential half a month. That would be my fault for changing lol.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

We are travelling in a motorhome, so switched to AT&T "unlimited" before leaving.

Been using hotspot for netflix and Amazon movies and reached over 22GB quickly.  More than 1GB per hour per show.

Decided to check speed on tethered laptop using Speedtest.net.  Result is 14mb/sec down and .5mb/sec up.  No slowing in early morning. I'm happy.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

After you reach the limit for the 10gb personal hotspot (unlimited plus plan) will you be charged addition fees if you were to exceed that limit?

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

A few months ago, we were not. We hit 10GB by watching Netflix in the motorhome. They said we could be throttled, but were not. We were pleased.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

I'm not real happy with AT&T "throttling".  You might not call it Throttling, but that's actually what it is.  I'm a Verizon client getting ready to switch over to AT&T, because of poor service at work, but this might keep me with Verizon.  Verizon offers truly "Unlimited" service with NO deprioritization or throttling.  

TJ

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

@itistj What Verizon plan doesn't deprioritize after a certain amount of data? Even checking their FAQ warns that this may happen:
"Most of the time you'll continue to enjoy the same great network experience once your line exceeds 22 GB during your billing cycle.

If you've already used 22 GB on a particular line during your current billing cycle, and are on a cell site that is congested at that moment, your download may be temporarily queued behind other Verizon Wireless customers, which may result in slower download speeds relative to another Verizon Wireless customer's experience on the same cell site at that moment.

Purchasing a data boost will not prevent your data from being temporarily slower in times of congestion."

Link: https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/beyond-unlimited-faqs/

Teacher

• 

19 Messages

6 years ago

Screenshot_20180119-034529.jpg

Screenshot_20180119-104148.jpg

Screenshot_20180119-104025.jpg

Please be sure to play attention to the times and dates on the screen shots, At&t diffently throttles my internet at least. I've called them 2 times today and both times they conveniently got cut off and no one called me back so I'll be filing a complaint with the fcc or whoever I need to file it with. 

3 Attachments

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

AT&T is throttling data plans.  When I moved 3 years ago my data (AT&T Grandfathered Unlimited iPad Data) was fast.  It worked perfectly for about 2 years and then I started getting messages from AT&T saying that I was in the top 5% of data users with the 22GB warning.  Since then my internet data drops SIGNIFICANTLY after I hit 22GB.  Sometimes in the middle of the night (2 AM), it will run at 20-30 Mbps but all other times are <2Mbps.

I'm not new to this game:

AT&T Customers With Grandfathered Unlimited iPad Data Plans Will See Throttling

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

I too have been throttled. I'm fine with significantly slower speeds after I've surpassed 22GB AND the tower is congested, (because that's what I agreed to in the fine print) but what I've experienced in the last billing cycle is quite different. The speed has dropped and has consistently stayed slow at all hours. I'm in a rural area so I know the towers near me are not congested in the middle of the night. I seem to have noticed the sustained slow down after I got over 50G of total usage, so there must be another benchmark AT&T is using to simply throttle you till the end of your billing period. If you're going to do that, at least disclose this up front. You've disabled the popular speed test sights, youtube, netflix and many other apps you probably deem low priority. Again...disclose it all up front and there's no issue but don't bait and switch please.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.