Need your talk or text logs?
watsosd's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Monday, February 9th, 2015 10:03 PM

Unlimited International Texting fees?

I recently switched to the $25/month GoPhone Plan which includes 250 minutes of nationwide calls, unlimited nationwide messaging, and unlimited international texting. I'll be taking an extended vacation soon and have a question about the international texting. The plan details says unlimited free texting FROM the U.S. TO over 100 countries. But the plan doesn't say anything about texting FROM those countries TO the U.S.

In other words, I know I can receive texts from home for free. But I am unsure as to whether I can reply or send texts to home for free. 

I tried asking AT&T customer service and was told the per-use fee applied to sending texts. But when I read the website, it sounds like those fees are for the per-use plan, not the monthly plan with unlimited texting. 

Does anyone know for sure?

Thanks!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

13.1K Messages

9 years ago

Your international text includes text FROM the US to other countries, not other countries to the US but will only be available where AT&T has a presense. It is charged per text.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

Thanks!

Personally, I think their 'free unlimited international texting' is misleading since most people consider texting to be a two-way activity. I figured by the way it was worded that there was a catch that wasn't being disclosed.

I appreciate your help.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

9 years ago

Go phone plans do not support international roaming other than Canada or Mexico. If you are traveling anywhere other than those countries, you won't be able to talk or text.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

Then someone needs to talk to the customer service agent that switched me to this plan, because she is misinformed.

I didn't get the plan for international use, I was just curious about it due to an upcoming vacation. So it's not a big deal either way. I don't usually keep in touch with home when I'm on vacation, but always try to know what my options are.

Employee

• 

581 Messages

9 years ago

Thanks @kdfederer for the solution!  We just wanted to add that any AT&T customer with a smartphone can download and install a free Wi-Fi based texting app to use Wi-Fi hotspots (some hotels, cafes and tourist destinations offer free hotspots, but not all).  Remember that although the app might be free, usage might not be, so please read instructions carefully and always use a secure connection!  Hope this is helpful information!  ~Delia

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.