Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Unlimited Data plan and Mobile Hotspot?

Contributor

Unlimited Data plan and Mobile Hotspot?

Does the new unlimited data plan not allow you to use your phone as a hotspot?.

Message 1 of 164
ACE - Expert

Re: unlimited data plan

@mesmit wrote:

Is there an unlimited plan that does allow tethering?

The Unlimited Plus plan allows up to 10GB of tethering PER line. http://att.com/unlimited

Or you can put an unlimited hotspot on the plan instead of or in addition to a phone.

• Rember the Golden Rule: Treat others how you would like to be treated.
  • Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 151 of 164
Contributor

Okay, so where do I find the unlimited hotspot for one phone?
Thanks
Message 152 of 164
ACE - Sage

@mesmit   You don't have unlimited hotspot on your phone.  

@Gary L Is referring to a mifi device or separate mobile hotspot device.  

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 153 of 164
ACE - Expert

@mesmit wrote:
Okay, so where do I find the unlimited hotspot for one phone?

I said OR or IN ADDITION TO, you'd need a external hotspot device that AT&T sells.

Like these https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/devices/hotspots.html?source=IC00WWTAB0000000L&wtExtndSource=Inter...

The velocity or explore.

• Rember the Golden Rule: Treat others how you would like to be treated.
  • Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.
Message 154 of 164

Exactly what I was thinking.  I called AT&T support to straighten something out on my phone.

I had a legacy 30 GB plan which allowed tethering and a month-to-month carryover.  It was shared among 5 phones. They pushed me pretty hard to get the new plan, pointing out that there would be no overcharges for too much data, ever, and that my overall cost would even drop.  No one pointed out that hotspot capability would go away.

I use it every few months, and I just by chance happened to glance at my bill and picked up the "no tethering" phrase.

This sucks and is deceptive.

I can understand not allowing unlimited tethering.  I can't understand giving people an over the phone sales pitch which doesn't even mention that the new limit is zero.  Wake UP guys.  You're almost as bad as Verizon.  Your bills are more legible, but their network is a little better.  But, both of you do sneaky stuff like this... touting one thing while taking something away with the other hand, quietly.

Message 155 of 164
ACE - Sage

@nom-de-plume  You are on the WRONG unlimited data plan.  The unlimited PLUS plan does allow hotspot on devices as well as unlimited mifi devices.  

Cost difference is $30 more than the Choice plan, which is a no hotspot and limited speed plan.  

The base plan for both the 30 gig plan and unlimited plus is $205.  

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Message 156 of 164

Thanks. I figured it out after I called them. I didn't mind paying an
extra $30 per month for it, but still wish the option had been explained at
the outset by the person advising me about my "best" plan.

Without that info about my choices, I felt bait and switched.
Message 157 of 164
ACE - Sage

@nom-de-plume  It boggles the mind.  Supposedly they have all the information right in front of them. All they have to do is read.  Then again, who ever writes some of the stuff for ATT needs a lesson in grammar and writing for general comprehension.  

Message 158 of 164
Contributor

Seems like you need to go check plans b4 you comment people like you misleading At&t customers is why I will be leaving this non helpful bunch of ID10T Errors behind can never seem to find 1 person @At&t who can get it right I do know the $45 and $60 plans can be shared through hot spot not sure about the other so go read plans then answer thanks have a great day
Message 159 of 164
Contributor

It is the way of at&t to screw you out of extra money the still have grandfathered accounts that they try to dispose of but can't seem to get it done because some know just what kinda weasels are head over this company
Message 160 of 164
ACE - Expert

@Flasher162 wrote:
@Seems like you need to go check plans b4 you comment people like you misleading At&t customers is why I will be leaving this non helpful bunch of ID10T Errors behind can never seem to find 1 person @AT&t who can get it right I do know the $45 and $60 plans can be shared through hot spot not sure about the other so go read plans then answer thanks have a great day

@Flasher162

Well I dont know where you found the 65 dollar unlimited plan or 60 with auto pay has hot spot since its right in terms of service.

gophone.PNG

Message 161 of 164
Contributor

I have been with AT&T Data unlimited from day one the first IPad came out, paying my $29.99 every month. It's not a bad value, since I am on the road 12 hours a day a more and I stream TV and movies I have at times burned through 25 gigs in a month with no slowdowns. I did switch my personal cell to T-Mobile and I love it. I know pay $50 per month, unlimited calls, text, and 4G. $50 is tax include. Now while there unlimited may still start to throttle after 15 gigabytes, binge on and music freedom are included free; which means you can download unlimited video or unlimited music, all high speed 4G,and it does not count towards your data cap if you have one or towards your unlimited getting capped for going over 15. They don't have the single line for $50 anymore, that was Black Friday, but they have two for $100 with no tax and all the same benifits. I am now considering moving my iPad data as well, that's why I logged in today to see what AT&T had going on.
Message 162 of 164

If you buy unlimited, your hot spot goes away. If you buy unlimited plus,
you have unlimited on all of your phones, and 10GB shared for hotspot
operation. I'm OK with that, and ponied up the extra 30 bucks to do that.

However, my initial experience is that I was told what a great upgrade
unlimited was, without any information that it excluded tethering. That
saved me 20 bucks. Now, adding the plus option costs 30, so I'm ten bucks
behind. I don't care, but I shouldn't have had to research it. If AT&T
personnel want to get rid of my old double data, monthly carryover plan
with tethering, they should fully explain my options. If I knew them, I'd
have probably upped the extra ten bucks, or kept my old plan. But, I
didn't know.

It's not a hate AT&T thing once I found the options, but I had to find the
options. I wasn't coming in from the outside where they are all laid out
on a menu; rather, I was asking questions of the helpful AT&T person, who
forgot to mention that the exchange for increased phone data (which I
didn't need) was no tethering. Had he mentioned that, no problem.

So, my "misled" impression changes to "poorly trained". I'm not really
upset anymore. I initially thought that there was no tethering option from
what I'd been told. Garbage in, garbage out, as they say.
Message 163 of 164
ACE - Sage

@Jryan619 wrote:
I have been with AT&T Data unlimited from day one the first IPad came out, paying my $29.99 every month. It's not a bad value, since I am on the road 12 hours a day a more and I stream TV and movies I have at times burned through 25 gigs in a month with no slowdowns. I did switch my personal cell to T-Mobile and I love it. I know pay $50 per month, unlimited calls, text, and 4G. $50 is tax include. Now while there unlimited may still start to throttle after 15 gigabytes, binge on and music freedom are included free; which means you can download unlimited video or unlimited music, all high speed 4G,and it does not count towards your data cap if you have one or towards your unlimited getting capped for going over 15. They don't have the single line for $50 anymore, that was Black Friday, but they have two for $100 with no tax and all the same benifits. I am now considering moving my iPad data as well, that's why I logged in today to see what AT&T had going on.

The unlimited plus might be a good option.  The single line plan is $90 after discount and allows an an additional non phone for $20. Each would have 10 gigs of tethering and both devices would be reprioritised after they reach 22 gigs each (44 gigs minimum).  You get HBO free.

You can also get $25 discount off ATT TV service, including the streaming service.   https://www.att.com/plans/unlimited-data-plans.html

Message 164 of 164
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support