Need your talk or text logs?
jmacciola's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Saturday, April 2nd, 2016 9:22 PM

Unlimited Data plan and Mobile Hotspot?

Does the new unlimited data plan not allow you to use your phone as a hotspot?.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

8 years ago

I thought I've seen it here more than a few times, maybe it was at HowardForums or SlickDeals, but I spend way way more time here than there...

@sandblaster Just ask retention and see what they say, it couldn't hurt to mention that T-Mobile has three 10GB lines for $120 (compare to AT&T that's 30GB for $75 when you subtract that 3 lines would cast $45). 

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

Ok I bought my at&t Samsung-SM-G53A T Wal-Mart and I went with the bring your own phone plan and I have straight talk minutes. Been this for years and I've always had my mobile hotspot and tethering to work. On this phone I have now...I have mobile hotspot as well as tethering as a feature on this phone but when I go to turn it on and configure my settings...it tells me to go to att.com/mywireless or call 611 to set it up...first I have ever had this problem. I have always used an AT&T phone with a B.Y.O.P plan with straight talk...can't get any good tips or helpful support on this website so if you would please be so kind as to tellinge how to set it up I would be very appreciative...thank you

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

8 years ago

@cholaloka82

Im surprised you ever had a working hotspot on an ATT phone on another network.

You need to check your plan with straight talk, it may not allow tethering.   Or your current phone is an ATT specific hotspot and cannot work on another network.

FYI, you can purchase a Nexus 5x from Best Buy, which will work with any SIM card and is not network locked.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

If you are paying for unlimited service and you have personal electronics why do they not let you tether or use ur phone as a hot spot? My phone company will allow up to so many gb for you to use doing that then they will make you pay $20 a gig after the 5 gigs you use..I'm wanting to switch over to att on my wireless needs and this might be a downfall of it here because I take my tablet everywhere I go with Internet tethered from my phone to tablet..

Professor

• 

3.2K Messages

8 years ago

@Lonelygirl, because the unlimited plan is for one device, not as many devices as you can tether. If another company has a different policy, why should ATT follow suit? If all carriers were alike, we would only need one.

Master

• 

3.5K Messages

8 years ago

@Busternutt wrote:

@Lonelygirl, because the unlimited plan is for one device, not as many devices as you can tether. If another company has a different policy, why should ATT follow suit? If all carriers were alike, we would only need one.

@BusternuttWhy not just restrict the tether to a single connection then?  Just playing devil's advocate here, but this is a fairly easy change, and would keep with the spirit of the "single device" usage.

I agree that there should be a top-end limit to high-speed tethering, like other carriers, it's only practical that people aren't using it as home internet.

Yeah, I know a few people would figure out how to re-distribute their tethered connection, and make it appear as a single device, but those people are also likely to figure out how to work around the whole tethering issue, completely. 

I'm not a candidate for unlimited, BTW, although I used to have the really old unlimited, before they required bundled for unlimited.  I knew a LOT of people who were tethering back then, on this plan, before more algorithms were implemented to watch for this.

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

8 years ago

@pgrey wrote:

@Busternutt wrote:

@BusternuttWhy not just restrict the tether to a single connection then?  Just playing devil's advocate here, but this is a fairly easy change, and would keep with the spirit of the "single device" usage.

I agree that there should be a top-end limit to high-speed tethering, like other carriers, it's only practical that people aren't using it as home internet.

Yeah, I know a few people would figure out how to re-distribute their tethered connection, and make it appear as a single device, but those people are also likely to figure out how to work around the whole tethering issue, completely. 

I'm not a candidate for unlimited, BTW, although I used to have the really old unlimited, before they required bundled for unlimited.  I knew a LOT of people who were tethering back then, on this plan, before more algorithms were implemented to watch for this.

The problem is, and ATT knows well, that it doesn't stop with limited high speed tethering.  T-mobile just went on a rampage over the abuse of there limited tethering policy.  Opening the door a crack, just allowed the skilled to open it all the way and cheat the system.  Verizon hasn't limited and has some users with the paid tethering option that use hundreds of GBs a month

Professor

• 

3.2K Messages

8 years ago

@pgrey, wouldn't matter. Just like people complain about (limited) roll over when ATT gave it to them, somebody woud still complain that they want to tether two devices, then three, so on and so forth.

Master

• 

3.5K Messages

8 years ago

@Busternutt wrote:

@pgrey, wouldn't matter. Just like people complain about (limited) roll over when ATT gave it to them, somebody woud still complain that they want to tether two devices, then three, so on and so forth.

@BusternuttI suppose, although they sure complain when the realize they can't tether at all, probably just sign up for the plan assuming they can ;-]

I agree, you can't make all the people happy, all the time, but maybe this would be a fair compromise, still follow the "once device" use policy, and make more of the people happy, most of the time?

@lizdance40 Yeah, people that are going to abuse this probably already are.  There are ways to hack things, and clever ways to conceal it, but you're talking about a really, really small number of people.  This subset is unlikely to be affected by any policy change.

Master

• 

3.5K Messages

8 years ago

What will happen when we get to cat10 or 12, or WiMax, or whatever tech AT&T decides to move to, and we're pushing 500+mbps?

I'm just guessing here, but is you can chew through a fairly sizeable MSV plan, in a few minutes, something will have to change here.  I'm sure there's a LOT of discussion about this already in-play ;-]

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.