Need your talk or text logs?
jmacciola's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Saturday, April 2nd, 2016 9:22 PM

Unlimited Data plan and Mobile Hotspot?

Does the new unlimited data plan not allow you to use your phone as a hotspot?.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Employee

• 

3.5K Messages

8 years ago

Unlimited does not allow for tethering or mobile hotspot. Only the device itself may use the data, not another device.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

So even the old unlimited package doesn't allow for a hotspot? What kind of package would I have to get to be eligible for that?

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

8 years ago

Any mobile share plan allows the use of hotspot. If you still have a legacy minute plan, I believe the 5GB data plan is the only one that allows hotspot.

Employee

• 

3.5K Messages

8 years ago

Not even the old unlimited plan allows for tethering. It's just something that was never available. No carrier offers unlimited data with tethering. Spint and T-Mobile allow tethering with a limit on their unlimited plans. It's a few gigabytes, just not unlimited with tethering.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

8 years ago

This is still tethering, though! Rather than complain that T-Mobile or Sprint offer limited tethering, admit that this is a downside to being on an AT&T "Unlimited" Data Plan and that these two carriers have you beat on something. I'd rather have "a few" (read: 14GB or 22GB for T-Mobile) of tethering on an "unlimited" data plan than no tethering at all. I've been a faithful AT&T customer for over 10 years, but you guys never listen to what your customers want, and I'm getting fed up with it.

Employee

• 

3.5K Messages

8 years ago

This is why choice exists in the wireless industry. It isn't a utility where local monopolies exist. I give the same advice to everyone. Vote with your wallet and go with what fits your needs. If another carrier offers limited hotspot on their unlimited plan and that's what you need, go that route.

If unlimited plans from almost a decade ago never offered it that's a sign it is something that may never change.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

8 years ago

The AT&T $100 20GB plan is "reasonable", not T-Mobile pricing but reasonable, and has tethering and rollover. (and Canada and Mexico).

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

8 years ago

@Gary L, the $100 plan is for 15GB. Not everyone gets the deal you got. The 20GB plan is normally $140. 

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

8 years ago

@sandblaster (Since you brought it up)  It seems like it's pretty freely given, maybe not as freely as the Canada Roaming bonus, but not much more effort that quoting a competitor's plan seems to get the bonus data. Maybe that's just the posts I've seen and read here and other forums, but that seems to consistantly be what I've seen/read.  If anyone has asked and not gotten it, please chime in.

Regardless, 15GB is a lot of shared data for $100 too (better than $50 for 5GB for non-rollover tethered data).

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

8 years ago

@Gary L, Interesting. Maybe I've just missed them but you are the first I've ever seen on this forum to get this deal (the 20GB for the price of 15GB). In fact, I'd never even heard of the possibility until you mentioned it.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.