Need your talk or text logs?
FCS1701's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Tuesday, January 24th, 2017 12:13 AM

Unlimited Data and tethering

Hello,

Last week I obtained a new mobile phone device (MotoG), switching from a Asus Zenfone 2.  I have unlimited Data plan, along with my DirecTV and a home line through AT&T, and was able to do mobile tethering from my device to my PC when needed/out of Wifi range.  I tried to enable tethering on my new device, and it said to go to ATT.com/mywireless to enable, but can't find what to do or where to do it.

Can you please help?

Thank you.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

7 years ago

Tethering is not allowed on that plan. If it worked on an older device, it was by mistake. It shouldn't have. Had it been detected, they could have taken the plan away from you.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

Well that's a crock of S&%@ !!  Only can use it to get over your limited data plan and charge lots of overage plans, but when we have unlimited, they actually limit what you can use!  Sounds like the opposite of customer satisfaction!!  This feature was one of the reasons I switched to DirecTV so I could get the unlimited data plan and continuing tethering like I had done before.

ACE - Expert

• 

13.1K Messages

7 years ago

Tethering has NEVER been allowed on unlimited. Unlimited data is for that device only and that data cannot be shared and never could.

• 

4 Messages

@kdfederer That is not correct - I have an unlimited plan that is grandfathered in and when I originally purchased the plan hotspot/tethering was allowed. This was later taken away even though my contract was never changed....got to love that

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

You're posting on a three-year-old thread. At the time of the original thread, neither the grandfathered Unlimited Plan nor the new unlimited plan allowed tethering. Whether or not you got tethering against your terms of service on an old plan we cannot tell. Some people did report that they tethered, even though it was not allowed

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

Award for Community Excellence Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

4 Messages

@lizdance40 I am aware the thread is old. I was not inferring that tethering was allowed on unlimited plans at the time of the post...I was stating that it was available when I purchased my unlimited plan many years prior. You cannot tell me with as much certainty as you do that my plan did not have a feature without having a copy of my contract, which you do not.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@FCS1701 wrote:

This feature was one of the reasons I switched to DirecTV so I could get the unlimited data plan and continuing tethering like I had done before.

Sorry.  It's very clearly marked multiple times on the UNLIMITED pages. 

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

I am glad that I happened upon this message board.  I as a hair away from switching from my shared data plan to the unlimited.  I am sure I was told that the unlimited was 22g per phone at full speed then slows depending on traffic.  In the 22g is 10g that could be used as tethering or as a hot spot that slows down drastically.  Since I was given inaccurate information HOW do I know what I am buying so I can decide if I want to switch?

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

6 years ago

@suzyqcisco ATT has two unlimited data plans. The more expensive one includes tethering/hotspot, the other does not, so you weren’t necessarily given false info. All of the details of what is included on each plan and the prices are on att.com.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

6 years ago

@suzyqcisco

Things change rapidly and you are reading an old thread.   At the time it was written, tethering was not an option on unlimited plans.  

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

6 years ago

@suzyqcisco wrote:

I am glad that I happened upon this message board.  I as a hair away from switching from my shared data plan to the unlimited.  I am sure I was told that the unlimited was 22g per phone at full speed then slows depending on traffic.  In the 22g is 10g that could be used as tethering or as a hot spot that slows down drastically.  Since I was given inaccurate information HOW do I know what I am buying so I can decide if I want to switch?

First, don't read posts that are 18 months old IF you want current info.

Since the post you are reading, they'd removed the DirecTV requirement and then released multiple different unlimited plans. They are on the third iteration of unlimited plans now.

Second, read the plan description 🙂

http://att.com/unlimited is what's available now.  

And the hotspot has been bumped up to 15GB with the current plans (the cheaper one has no hotspot).

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.