Need your talk or text logs?
gsr22's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Friday, May 30th, 2014 2:22 AM

Unlimited Data Throttling Speeds

Hey community, just need some clarification on the throttling. <br>So I understand that my unlimited data plan well have the LTE speeds reduce if I go over the 5GB limit. That makes perfect sense to slow down a device that is capable of 20 to 60 mb download speed. The *** is that you have to deal with half a mb (.34 mb down on LTE) when your throttled. Really att,  <br><br> I have had my unlimited data plan since 2007 and in the 7 years I have only passed my limit twice. You can see why I'm frustrated, this is probably why I will never return to att when my plan expires or recommend them to anyone. <br><br>Seriously, this is 2014 and we shouldnt have to deal with dial-up speeds on unlimited data plans. At least gives us 5 to 10mb speeds .

[Inappropriate content removed]

Former Employee

• 

34 Messages

10 years ago

You do have the option to change to a non-unlimited plan to avoid the throttling, otherwise you're stuck with the speeds that you have due to how high your usage has been in comparison to other users with unlimited data.

With the new mobile share value plans available most of the time it's more cost effective to actually change to a plan with a limited amount of data that fits your actual usage, and that way you get highspeed internet no matter how much you're using.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

So your saying that I should pay more for the same service I have now and pay the overage fees if I go over the non unlimited data. Are you kidding me? So my speeds are droping to dial up because other users use too much of the bandwidth. Why do you impose these slow speeds on me if I have only gone over the "limit" of my unlimited plan only 2 times out of the 84 months that I have been a custmer

You guys are just scaming unlimited users because you guys want to get rid of them. I guess the best way to do that is by make their unlimited data so slow that it becomes useless. Am I right?
I dont think I will get suckered into changing my plan.

Former Employee

• 

34 Messages

10 years ago

Generally most of the people who have grandfathered features actually end up paying MORE for the services they are being provided because they haven't modified to more cost effective plans and features in fear of losing that grandfathering.

But, if you only have exceeded the limit twice, why does it matter if you're being throttled? The likelihood of you exceeding the limit that causes you to be throttled is almost non-existant according to you, so what's the problem?

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

Well lets see... 5gb plan costs 50$ and 20$ for every 300mb overage fees, you can probably see why I would stick to my 30$ unlimited plan.
Why does it matter? Because I expect to get the service I paid for. You dont see me "throttling" my money every time you fail to provide your service.

I would like to see the information, data, or statistics you guys used to justify throttling my service down to a dial up connection. I thought this was the nations fastest network?

Its just unethical the way you guys try to milk every customer. Then again, this is the same company that sells personal data for money. I hope the FCC or BBB does something about your pratice in the future.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

Again, the problem is not the throttling just the speed.
.25mb download is just enough to make sure no one is actually using thier unlimited data.

I wonder if I can make this claim in a small claims court.

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

10 years ago

@gsr22 wrote:
So your saying that I should pay more for the same service I have now and pay the overage fees if I go over the non unlimited data. Are you kidding me? So my speeds are droping to dial up because other users use too much of the bandwidth. Why do you impose these slow speeds on me if I have only gone over the "limit" of my unlimited plan only 2 times out of the 84 months that I have been a custmer

You guys are just scaming unlimited users because you guys want to get rid of them. I guess the best way to do that is by make their unlimited data so slow that it becomes useless. Am I right?
I dont think I will get suckered into changing my plan.

I would guess that right now you have your iPhone (or other smart phone) with the unlimited data plan, and probably unlimited texting as well.  That would mean that you are paying $50/month for your 550 voice minutes (with roll over), $30 for your unlimited data, and $20 for your unlimited texts.  That means you will be paying $100/month (plus taxes and fees) for your service.  If you have more minutes, you pay more for your service.

If you migrate to a Mobile Share Value Plan, you would pay $100 for 10GB data and $15 for unlimited talk & text using your existing smartphone or brining in another off-contract device.  This means you would be paying $115 for unlimited talk & text, plaus 10GB of data.  Additionally, if you go over 10GB data usage, you would only pay $15/GB for your additional usage.  With the Mobile Share plan, yo ualso get free usage as a Mobile Hotspot, and you do not have to worry about throttling.

Yes, the Mobile Share plan will cost you $15/month more, but you get 10GB of data before you worry about any additional charges, and you don't get throttled.  If you look at your unlimited plan, you are only getting 5GB of data before you get throttled, so the new rate plan could save you frustration in the end, and you can look at it as paying a small fee for removing your throttling.  The throttling was enabled because unlimited data users only pay a fixed rate, and not based on what they use, so a few users were using 50-80% of the bandwidth in some markets, but paying the same as the users who only used 500MB.  To be more fair to everyone, the heavy users were throttled.  On the onther plans, there is no throttling, but you have a limit and you pay for your usage when you go over that limit.

I recently heard an analogy of comparing internet usage to electric company usage.  You pay your electric bill every month based on what you use.  If you run the AC on full blast during the summer you pay more because you used more electricity.  Think of it along those lines.  If you use more internet service, you pay more than the person who uses less.  The throttling is like the all-you-can-eat buffet.  The crab legs don't get refilled as often as the beef with broccoli.  They throttle how much of the more expensive crab legs you can eat by how fast they refill the pan, but it is still all-you-can-eat, but you can't eat any faster than they refill the serving pan.  

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

10 years ago

@gsr22 wrote:
Well lets see... 5gb plan costs 50$ and 20$ for every 300mb overage fees, you can probably see why I would stick to my 30$ unlimited plan.

The overage fee on either the $30/3GB or $50/5GB plans is $10 for each additional GB, not $20 for 300MB. 

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

10 years ago

@sandblaster wrote:
The overage fee on either the $30/3GB or $50/5GB plans is $10 for each additional GB, not $20 for 300MB. 

I believe that the prices may have changed slightly  As of today (05/31/2014) the prices are:

Additional data: $20/300MB on 300MB plan, $20/500MB on $25/per mo. 1GB plan (available as of 3/30/14), $15/1GB on retired $45/per mo. 1GB plan, and $15/1GB on all other plans.

as copied from the mobile share page http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/data-plans.html

Former Employee

• 

34 Messages

10 years ago

Those are on the mobile share value plans.

I believe sandblaster was referring to the retired $30 3GB and $50 5GB data plans that the op was referencing.

Mentor

• 

63 Messages

10 years ago

I'm on the grandfathered unlimited plan and also have to deal with throttling some months.  I don't think AT&T should throttle at all, because the term "unlimited" shouldn't be applied to a service that "limits" the speeds you get.  

If AT&T is going to throttle then I wish it was at a speed of 2mb up and down.  That's still compromised, but usable.  Probably not gonna happen though, since AT&T wants to punish unlimited users until they switch to a tiered plan--that's the whole point. 

The new mobile share plans currently only make sense for families.  The individual plans are still cost prohibitive compared to the grandfathered plans.  Eventually, I hope the price comes down to the point where I can ditch my old plan but that's not the case now. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.