Need your talk or text logs?
gsr22's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Friday, May 30th, 2014 2:22 AM

Unlimited Data Throttling Speeds

Hey community, just need some clarification on the throttling. <br>So I understand that my unlimited data plan well have the LTE speeds reduce if I go over the 5GB limit. That makes perfect sense to slow down a device that is capable of 20 to 60 mb download speed. The *** is that you have to deal with half a mb (.34 mb down on LTE) when your throttled. Really att,  <br><br> I have had my unlimited data plan since 2007 and in the 7 years I have only passed my limit twice. You can see why I'm frustrated, this is probably why I will never return to att when my plan expires or recommend them to anyone. <br><br>Seriously, this is 2014 and we shouldnt have to deal with dial-up speeds on unlimited data plans. At least gives us 5 to 10mb speeds .

[Inappropriate content removed]

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

The problem I have is that AT&T says the reason for the throttling is there isn't enough bandwidth. But if you pay for s plan that is more. Suddenly there is plenty of bandwidth for everyone. So basically the problem only exists for people who are grandfathered in on an unlimited plan. (Like me). The shared plans are more expensive than the $30.00 "unlimited" plan plus the $20.00 unlimited text and any wireless phone unlimited calling plan. I have been with AT&T since 1996. I was with them through the change to Cingular and then back to AT&T. So you're telling me after being a customer for 18 years, it's not even worth them to give me actual unlimited data. The thing that really gets me is that when it's not throttled you get about 20 megs per second downloads. And when throttled. .5. That's useless speed and I think it's A terrible way to treat a loyal customer.

Scholar

• 

150 Messages

9 years ago

For $105 you get 6 GB of data. Plus taxes and fees. This is if you haven't signed a 2 year contract since earlier this year I believe it was. So it's not that bad of a deal.

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

9 years ago

[Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate]. You would, of course, have to do a little bit of math but, it's not unlimited if they are limiting how much data you could transfer... they might say they aren't limiting the AMOUNT of data but merely the SPEED but if you use a simple formula (amount = speed x time) it becomes clear that they have in fact limited the amount of data in a roundabout way. You can only download a certain amount of data at that speed in the span of a month. {keep it courteous}

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

I have been with AT&T since 2001 (Cingular Wireless). I have been forced to get the unlimited data when I had blackberry, then the iphone back in 2007. 3 years later, AT& T claimed they don't have enough spectrum to feed all data hungry devices. now all of the sudden, spectrum exit for selected customers while it doesnt exit for the others. AT&T argument to FCC that they need to throttle once you reach certain limit. ok, that is fine for network optimization. what difference does it make what data plan I am on, I am congesting the network, I am congesting the network. it seems this only applies when you have an unlimited plan. for some reason, $$$ removes the congestion. enough with lies.

Take care

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

9 years ago

@hmel0001 wrote:

I have been with AT&T since 2001 (Cingular Wireless). I have been forced to get the unlimited data when I had blackberry, then the iphone back in 2007. 3 years later, AT& T claimed they don't have enough spectrum to feed all data hungry devices. now all of the sudden, spectrum exit for selected customers while it doesnt exit for the others. AT&T argument to FCC that they need to throttle once you reach certain limit. ok, that is fine for network optimization. what difference does it make what data plan I am on, I am congesting the network, I am congesting the network. it seems this only applies when you have an unlimited plan. for some reason, $$$ removes the congestion. enough with lies.

Take care

They are not saying that if you pay more money, it's no longer congested.  They are saying that it is not cost effective for them to sell you unlimited high speed bandwidth at a low fixed price.  If you are willing to pay for what you want to use, then they offer you higher bandwidth speeds.  It really isn't any different than them selling 3Mbps home internet service for elss than they sell 45Mbps home service.  You pay more for faster service. 

With the newer rate plans, you may not even be paying more for that faster service.  While I was on my old unlimited data plan, I was paying $69.99 for my 700 min talk time, plus $30 for unlimited data, plus $20 for unlimited SMS.  That came out to be $119.99 plus taxes & fees.  I moved to a Mobile Share plan for $100 for 10GB of data, plus $15 for unlimited talk & SMS coming out to $115 plus taxes & fees.  The new Mobile Share plan costs $4.99 less, but it give 10GB of full speed data access, and charges $15/GB if I go over 10GB.  If I play the games that others have, I can even bump that 10GB up to 20GB if I do it before the end of the month, even though they are only offering the "double your data" on the 15GB and higher data plans.  Doing that would give me 20GB of full speed data for just $4.99 less than I was paying for far less service with my unlimited data plan which throttled at 5GB, and only gave me 700 minutes talk time per month.  You're right, switching to the newer plans is a rip-off for me since they give me more data at faster speeds for less money per month...

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

The bottom line is that att at one point used the unlimited plan as a positive for their company. They made money off of unlimited customers more expensive monthly fee. Now that times have changed and they didn't have the foresight to see that they would lose money in the future, they are trying to "take their ball and go home" because they aren't getting their way anymore. The money they are "losing" by honoring unlimited plans is not really money that they are losing. They are actually now earning the money they were taking before high data use was necessary. If they didn't throttle data speeds on unlimited plans when it was the most expensive choice, they shouldn't be throttling it now. The FCC obviously agrees with that[Edited to comply with Guidelines]. Att should just realize that they either made more money than they were supposed to early on, or that a business decision to offer unlimited data was a poor decision. Throttling speeds is acting like the daddy that says, "because I said so." Except a good business doesn't treat people that way.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

As a former AT&T employee who has to deal with throttling I can tell you from experience that it has nothing to do with available bandwidth or technology. It's about money.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

It is pretty obvious. They do not throttle people with 30mb share plans.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

It's been ridiculous. I am in the process of leaving AT&T. I have tested my data speed everyday for three months. At beginning of the month, I get around 15-25 Mbps, but by the 17th of the month I am 0.2-0.35 Mbps. It takes a single photo on Facebook 8-15 seconds to load. It's outrageous. Another cell provider has promised me a much better rate and the first 6 months free if I'm willing to speak against AT&T. I wouldn't mind if I were getting 5 Mbps but at this speed, I can't do anything with work or stay productive. AT&T has really gone downhill.

Remember, to file a complaint with BOTH the FCC and the FTC. They are suing AT&T and I have contacted the teams leading the suit to join them to make sure AT&T stops this and reimburses us.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

They aren't loyal to their customers. Why do they expect us to be loyal to
them? I say Go for it!!
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.