For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need your talk or text logs?
gsr22's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Friday, May 30th, 2014 2:22 AM

Unlimited Data Throttling Speeds

Hey community, just need some clarification on the throttling. <br>So I understand that my unlimited data plan well have the LTE speeds reduce if I go over the 5GB limit. That makes perfect sense to slow down a device that is capable of 20 to 60 mb download speed. The *** is that you have to deal with half a mb (.34 mb down on LTE) when your throttled. Really att,  <br><br> I have had my unlimited data plan since 2007 and in the 7 years I have only passed my limit twice. You can see why I'm frustrated, this is probably why I will never return to att when my plan expires or recommend them to anyone. <br><br>Seriously, this is 2014 and we shouldnt have to deal with dial-up speeds on unlimited data plans. At least gives us 5 to 10mb speeds .

[Inappropriate content removed]

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

Let me see if I understand this.  AT&T throttles the download speed on unlimited data plans when they reach 5gb of data.   So, that mean they should also be throttling 50gb, 40, 30, 30 and all the other plans when they reach 5gb also.  Seems to me that would only be the fair thing to do.  Treat all customers the same.

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

10 years ago

AT&T is treating all users fairly. If you pay for higher grade service, you get higher grade service. When you pay flat rate, you get full speed to a point, then lower speeds from that point forward. When you pay for metered service, you get your service at full speed for all of it, but you pay more to get that speed. It's much like the "free internet" that T-Mobile offers to tablet users. They get 300MB from "high speed" access free each month, after that, they get throttled down to Edge speeds. If you pay for service from them, you get the full speed for the amount of data you have purchased.

AT&T is being fair to me by not having to charge me more for my service so you have have more full speed service once you have reached your throttling cap. You still have data service, just not at LTE speeds because you are still paying Edge or 3G rates for your unlimited service. Since I pay full price for my LTE data, I get full speed for the amount of data I have subscribed to. If I go over my limit, I have to pay more, but I get it at full speed. If you go over, you don't pay any more, but you get it at a slower rate. I call that fair, in that you can choose which one you want.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

I have been paying fees to AT&T for coming up on 8 years. around $15,000 or more, 

i have supported them since the beginning of Iphone, my useage has been cut to as low as .09 MPS... normally around .25. Those speeds don't even let email come through.

This is not an unlimited plan, and you are not doing what Verizon is doing. AT LEAST THEY THROTTLE WHEN THERE IS NETWORK ISSUES AND NOT ALL THE TIME. 

YOU HAVE LOST ME AS A CUSTOMER, I HAVE PURCHASED EVERY IPHONE FROM YOU AND AS SOON AS THE NEW ONE COMES OUT, I JUMP....

YOU SEE I ALSO MOVED TO LOS ANGELES, AND DAY 1 DRIVING AROUND WITH A REALTOR, I FOUND SHE HAD AMAZING SERVICE ALL DAY. I, ON THE OTHER HAND, BARELY HAD SERVICE, 

SO NOT ONLY ARE YOU THROTTLING MY SERVICE, YOU HAVE CRAPPY SERVICE. AT LEAST WITH GOOD SPEEDS I COULD SEND AN EMAIL TO SAY I'M LATE, BUT WITH THROTTLED SPEEDS, EMAILS WERE NOT GOING THROUGH AND I COULDN'T MAKE A CALL, 

HEY,, EMPLOYEE,, KEEP ACTING LIKE YOU ARE TREATING US ALL FAIRLY, 

YOU ARE NOT, YOU ARE SAYING WORDS IN PRINT FORM THAT MAKE YOU SEEM LIKE A HAVE NOT CLUE WHAT THE ISSUES ARE AND HOW THEY AFFECT PEOPLE TRYING TO COMMUNICATE. YOU ARE IN THE BUSINESS OF COMMUNICATION AND YOU HINDER IT ON EVERY LEVEL. 

WAKE UP..

AND GOOD BYE, I WISH I COULD LEAVE NOW, AS I HAVE TWO PHONES THAT ARE ELLIGIBLE FOR AN UPGRADE, BUT I AM WAITING FOR A NEW PHONE.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

UPDATE, 

so i just requested an unlock for my phone, does that mean i can't take this phone to verizon due to your poor customer service and lack of attention to customers needs that have paid hefty prices for 8 years?

Either way, i'm out.

Contributor

• 

5 Messages

10 years ago

This is all Bogus. IT's all about Greed on the carriers side. Their very very small percentage of data users are on unlimited plans. They can not be hogging up the towers like they say they are.

Let me break this down and this came directly from an ATT rep on the phone with me after I complained.

At the begining of my billing cycle, I get and I kid you not on LTE 29MB down and roughly 10MB up which is incredible. However after, on my unlimited data plan (which mind you ATT sold me and I've been paying faithfully $30 a mo to have) hits 5GB of usage, I get choked! And when I say choked, it goes from 29MB down to .5! That is absolute insanity to punish someone that harsh. I mean they shut you out completely. Yes they say you can still use the network but you can barely check email. The phone is a near brick.

I hit 5.5 gigs while on vacation camping. We were using my phone to stream netflix to our TV in our camper. Should be able to right? I'm on an unlimited data plan.... NOT ! Any rate I'm capped and the people at ATT are saying I'm not. They want me to reset my iphone and restore and update it. Nope, too much hassle.

So the rep say's to me on the phone when I call and complain. "Sir you get full use of the tower until you hit 5GB. We have to cap the 5% that are hogging the tower which is why we impeed the cap". So I said, let me get this straight. During my pre 5GB usage I am getting full strength of the tower but once I hit my 5GB limit I get cut off? She say's yes. So I proceed to state, so if I drop my unlimited plan and go with a share plan I never get capped, EVER? NEVER EVER? she states "Yes that is correct". So right there goes to show that ATT wants you to go to a shared plan so you do go over. They will never cap your speeds on a shared plan because that's where they make their bread and butter on overages on the plans. So think about this.... And let me 100% clear on this.

WHO IS HOGGING THE NETWORK? EVERYONE!!!!!! Not the unlimited plans, EVERYONE! The ones that are on shared plans are still hogging the network because they never get capped.

...Sold me on the unlimited plan by scare tactics when I bought my first iPhone. You (ATT) said to me at the store, well email, and web surfing and itunes music downloads all add up fast. And they proceeded to push me to the unlimited plan, why because it was MORE MONEY! Now that 90% of your network is on shared plans you want to punish the ones that are on unlimited.  YOU (ATT) did this, you shoved unlimited plans down all our throats and now you have the nerve to punish the remaining  and choke the speeds.

All I can say is the T-Mobil $100 a month for unlimited texts and calling and 10GB of data is looking pretty sweet right now! Sprint is doing the same.

I might be in the market for a new phone and a new provider. And sadly I've been with ATT since they bough Singular wireless....

Fight back everyone. Only way to get them to listen.

[Legal discussions are not permitted per the Guidelines]

Contributor

• 

5 Messages

10 years ago

Also I forgot to add the nail in the coffin on this topic or at least my earlier reply.

I have many friends who were now directed (by ATT's direction) to go to a shared plan. "Oh you'll save all this money and yada yada yada"......

Everyone I have talked to state that they get hit EVERY month with overage fees now that they switched to shared plans! Kid you NOT.

They even went back and checked their prior 12 month usage for data and never went over 10GB on all phones combined on the shared plan but convienently on the shared plan go over 10GB every month there after!

You tell me.......Does that seem fair. I will ride out my unlimted plan until I switch to a new carrier. I pray ATT fixes this on their side. Before they get hit with a much larger suit.

I understand capping but cap at 1/4 of the area speed not kill the customers service near completely. You give them just enough data so they have some shred of usage capability. This also protects you, the provider that you can still say " Well they have service and can still access the network".  However you choke them into the ground. Doing this makes them want to leave you not change their plans. Think about that.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

Read the definition of unlimited att.

ACE - Expert

• 

13.1K Messages

10 years ago

Read your terms of service. They have language in there about a fair use pollicy that can limit so called unlimited. It is unlimited up to of what AT&T considers fair use.

Scholar

• 

31 Messages

10 years ago

AT&T is just out to make more money. I have 2 unlimited lines and moving over to your shared plan will cost me way more than the $137 after FAN I'm paying now so don't give me that I'll save money. I only go over my 5gb cap from time to time yet those on the share plan can stream all day and use far more data than me and not get capped. Sounds like you hate your customers being on Unlimited but when the iPhone first came out you couldn't wait to get us to sign up. I remember when it started out at $20, then you up it too $30. Then along came the CAP at 5gb. We all know AT&T make extra money on overage charges and the new line fees on the family plan. The replies from the AT&T CSR are just the same old company line. It's funny but when I talk to the CSR on the phone, they will tell me the real deal and yes it sucks for me but on a public fourm you get the company line. Even the mods on this fourm call it "So Called Unlimited". Thats because it's not.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

It seems this person knows something more than I do, I previously never heard of throttoling speeds, so I learned something, Yesterday I witnessed my movie ordered through dish go to near nothing speeds ( it basically just stopped the show , and stopped again and again.) but my wireless usage counter went into high speed. Being ignorant about this I called Att, and I will call again today per their advice, but in the mean time I was very satisfied with the woman att representatives handling of my case. Today I call  to get my wireless to reset  back to zero, no big thing, I think..It's interesting hearing from others about their stories. As it now stands I'm a happy customer, but I'm still in the dark about how to get movies ordered on demand without the problem of stop and go. I'm out of any cable service area so I must go wireless.     If any one can get me an answer to my darkness, I'd like to get in the light, I'd very much appreciate it?  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.