Need your talk or text logs?
GavinOnAniPhone's profile

Tutor

• 

1 Message

Tuesday, January 29th, 2013 7:31 PM

Unlimited Data Plan and Personal Hotspot possible?

Hello all,

I have been a customer with AT&T for over 10 years now and was pretty disappointed with the conversation I just had with one of their customer service representatives. Since I first purchased an iPhone I have had the unlimited data plan for $30 that was required for purchase at the time. I recognize that since they've done away with unlimited data as an option, I have not gone over the 2GB $25 plan, but I still have opted to pay the extra for unlimited usage in case the day should come that I needed it. 

Today I called the customer service line to inquire about why I was not able to set up a personal hotspot (when I try, my phone tells me to contact AT&T). I was told that I would need to "upgrade" (don't get stuck on the terms) to a 2GB ($25) or 5GB ($50) monthly option in order to use this feature. Something about this seems off to me since I have been carrying forward a plan that AT&T required me to have in the first place, but now it disqualifies me from a feature of the phone - not due to capabilities, mind you.

Does anyone know if there is the ability to combine these two features? Really frustrated with AT&T for making it (seem hopefully) an impossibility.

Appreciated.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Former Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

10 years ago

Hi there everyone. Thanks for your posts! Though tethering is not available on grandfathered unlimited plans, and some other grandfathered plans, it is available with all Mobile Share plans on capable devices. When visiting this site, click on See Plan Details for complete details.

Hope this helps!

Professor

• 

2.1K Messages

11 years ago

No, they cannot be combined. Tethering was never an option with the unlimited plan, it was always an extra charge.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

11 years ago

@Max69 wrote:

No, they cannot be combined. Tethering was never an option with the unlimited plan, it was always an extra charge.

Also, the rep gave you bad info as the $25/2GB plan is no longer offered and did not include personal hotspot anyway. The only individual data plan that includes tethering/ hotspot is the $50/5 GB plan. All of the mobile share plans include tethering/ hotspot. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

Hello Max,

I have AT&T prepaid $50 unlimited Data,Text,Call plan. I have unlocked iphone4 purchased from Apple. I want to use data plan on my iphone. I can use wifi but don't know the settings to set up data plan.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

11 years ago

@kapsgoel wrote:

Hello Max,

I have AT&T prepaid $50 unlimited Data,Text,Call plan. I have unlocked iphone4 purchased from Apple. I want to use data plan on my iphone. I can use wifi but don't know the settings to set up data plan.

The iPhone is not supported on pre-paid and based on what others have posted, if it has iOS 6, no one has been able to get data to work. 

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

Just extra info for all the customers out there trying to get a mobile hotspot and share their data. You CANNOT get mobile hotspot, or turn your laptop into one, or device, for that matter unlesee your running windows 7 or xp ! They even exchanged my usb laptop device after complainig on the phone to multiple people that I was sold a device that was fraudulently advertised to run with the system I had. And the new BEAM still doesnt run mobile hotspot unless you run mindows 7 ! windows 8 might as well take back device and buy mobile hotspot device primarily., before you get sucked into their 2 year agreement contact like I did. I am so upset I pay 50 $/mnth for 5gb a month without wifi and hotspot feature they advertise ! Any suggestions please advise. Another exchange perhapes? Maybe return ? They refused returning it.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

I have unlimited everything and I want personal hotspot to be set up on my iPhone 4S . Is there an extra charge and if not how do I get it set up?

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@Nino1995 wrote:
I have unlimited everything and I want personal hotspot to be set up on my iPhone 4S . Is there an extra charge and if not how do I get it set up?

hotspot s not available on the discontinued unlimited data plan and has never been available on it. If you want the hotspot capabilities you will either need to change to the new mobile share plan or the 5GB tiered plan

Teacher

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

This is what I have been dealing with and am frustrated that I would have to loose unlimted to gain access to hotspot. When I got my unlimited there was no such thing as hotspot or tethering with the phone. I beleive I should have access to the new capabilities as a loyal customer who continues to pay rather than getting more fees added. 

People with unlimted should send messages to corporate we have been grandfathered in so should we not get some benefit for our loyalty? Come on AT&T treat us better than this.

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@Fjf3msw wrote:

This is what I have been dealing with and am frustrated that I would have to loose unlimted to gain access to hotspot. When I got my unlimited there was no such thing as hotspot or tethering with the phone. I beleive I should have access to the new capabilities as a loyal customer who continues to pay rather than getting more fees added. 

People with unlimted should send messages to corporate we have been grandfathered in so should we not get some benefit for our loyalty? Come on AT&T treat us better than this.

actually there was, it was an additional charge feature even with the then active unlimited data plan. The plan is discontinued, if you want new features you need to switch data plans to one that supports the features that you want. They really need to sunset the unlimited plan once and for all like verizon did

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.