Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Unlimited Data Plan and Personal Hotspot possible?

Unlimited Data Plan and Personal Hotspot possible?

Hello all,

I have been a customer with AT&T for over 10 years now and was pretty disappointed with the conversation I just had with one of their customer service representatives. Since I first purchased an iPhone I have had the unlimited data plan for $30 that was required for purchase at the time. I recognize that since they've done away with unlimited data as an option, I have not gone over the 2GB $25 plan, but I still have opted to pay the extra for unlimited usage in case the day should come that I needed it. 

Today I called the customer service line to inquire about why I was not able to set up a personal hotspot (when I try, my phone tells me to contact AT&T). I was told that I would need to "upgrade" (don't get stuck on the terms) to a 2GB ($25) or 5GB ($50) monthly option in order to use this feature. Something about this seems off to me since I have been carrying forward a plan that AT&T required me to have in the first place, but now it disqualifies me from a feature of the phone - not due to capabilities, mind you.

Does anyone know if there is the ability to combine these two features? Really frustrated with AT&T for making it (seem hopefully) an impossibility.

Appreciated.

Message 1 of 164
ACE - Master

Re: Unlimited Data Plan and Personal Hotspot possible?

@Gary L wrote:

@cbramsey wrote:
Since AT&T is now charging an additional $5 per line for this plan I am very disappointed that they have not resolved the issue of setting up a personal hotspot with the plan. I really hope that AT&T would be wise enough to review this and come with a proper resolution for their loyal customers.

There is NOTHING to resolve. I'll be shocked if they ever come out with what you consider to be "proper resolution".

All their loyal customers that chose to get a non-unlimited plan can tether just fine. I would think that it is resolved in their eyes.

Exactly, what @Gary L said, either choose an unlimited plan (no tethering), a plan with a bunch of data (including tethering), or another carrier, simple enough.

It's sort of like those extended auto warranties, which have a bunch of exclusions (and generally aren't the best deal, obviously, or they wouldn't offer them).  You can choose though, take the warranty, and the exlusions, or shop around, for another warranty (most people don't realize they can shop these, even from different dealerships, not just independent) that suits what you're after, if it exists.

Until there's something compelling enough for AT&T to offer unlimited data and tethering, they probably won't, it's their business perogative.  

Do people really use more than say the 40 or 50GB plans?  

If you're tethering mostly for steaming, maybe the new video plan options make more sense?  It's funny though, it sort of shoots all sorts of holes (some of us have been saying this for awhile) in the "no carrier could handle all this streaming" idea, if they're going to sell you a plan that includes more or less unlimited streaming, one of the most data-intensive operations on a cell network...

*If this (or another post in this thread) fixes your problem/issue, please mark it as "accept-solution", and I'll tag it, to make it easier for others to find the answer(s). FYI: I'm an AT&T end-user, just like most of us in the forum. Thanks.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 136 of 164
ACE - Sage

I would think the ones who don't complain are using the data plan to the fullest.  

Those who write in are either not making good use of the plan so it really isn't that valuable to them.  These are people who should have moved off it ages ago.

OR ..they are unaware of what it will cost or even what is available with other carriers.   

By all means, go.  Find out.   You might be pleased, or you might be back.

Just remember, once you give up the plan, you can't get it back.  

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 137 of 164
Contributor

Verizon allow it .are they doing better than att ?
Message 138 of 164
ACE - Expert

@Jp3108008034 wrote:
Verizon allow it .are they doing better than att ?

verizon does not allow tethering on unlimited plans..   they did offer a add on but it was canceled when the plan was.

Message 139 of 164
Contributor

I also am having the same issue. I've been with at&t a very very long time & have been grandfathered in as well as a loyal customer . I want a hotspot on my iphone6+, but seems it will cost to much for just 5gb. My husband just switch to Verizon and now Verizon has unlimited with Hotspot. So as much as I hate to switch carriers it seems like the smartest thing to do 😞

Message 140 of 164
ACE - Expert

@Tambo1965 wrote:

I also am having the same issue. I've been with at&t a very very long time & have been grandfathered in as well as a loyal customer . I want a hotspot on my iphone6+, but seems it will cost to much for just 5gb. My husband just switch to Verizon and now Verizon has unlimited with Hotspot. So as much as I hate to switch carriers it seems like the smartest thing to do 😞

Do you really use "unlimited" I dumped my unlimited last year (mostly so I could hotspot), I've got 3 of us on a 20GB plan and it's more data than we ever need to use. And it's much cheaper for us.

My only habits that have changed is that I make sure I run updates and big downloads at home instead of on cellular (but I didn't like to do that on cellular anyways because it just chewed through my battery). 

• Rember the Golden Rule: Treat others how you would like to be treated.
  • Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.
Message 141 of 164
Contributor

I'm switching providers too after being a long time customer. I am not the only one, bad move not to have some hotspot cababilities with an unlimited plan. Data plans are expensive enough. Sprint does it and I believe Verizon now too. I am now done with AT@T.

Message 142 of 164
ACE - Expert

@silentninja244 AT&T does offer hotspot with the new Unlimited plan introduced last week. https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/unlimited-plan.html

• Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.
Message 143 of 164
Contributor

When an At&t representative starts to believe in humans, their ( make-up along the way ) POLICY kicks in, revealing the true nature of their existence. Greed amongst common sense. SCAMMED!
Message 144 of 164
ACE - Expert

Re: Haiku

@Tmobile4daWIN wrote:
When an At&t representative starts to believe in humans, their ( make-up along the way ) POLICY kicks in, revealing the true nature of their existence. Greed amongst common sense. SCAMMED!

I'm not really sure of the deeper meaning of believing in humans has to do with your plan? 

Message 145 of 164
ACE - Sage

@Tmobile4daWIN wrote:

Is that supposed to make sense?   Cause it doesn't.   This old thread is out of date.  ATT finally allows tethering on an unlimited plan.  

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Message 146 of 164
Contributor

T Mobile I get unlimited 4g lte hotspot. $101.00 a month and I usally use around 250-300 gig a month its worth the money

Message 147 of 164
Teacher

What the /? 

Just tried to slim down my account by reducing the data plan. But hey, because I'm makig changes, now the $10.00/month fee per device is doubled! 

The insurance I kept on it? I slimmed that back too! Now reducing it, however, the old low price is now up a buck! In the end, I got my reductions, but my monthly bill is slightly higher than the current billing!?!?!? 

So if you downgrade to save money, you have to pay more??? W-T-F ?

Message 148 of 164
ACE - Sage

@Indogen

Did you look at the prices of the new plans?   You cannot change the data on a grandfathered plan, you would have to choose from the currently offered plans.   

Message 149 of 164
Contributor

I'm very disappointed I have been wireless at&t customer for around a dozen years never hada problem with sharing my mobile hotspot from my Microsoft 640 LTE I upgraded it to the Windows 10 and ever since I've not been able to share my mobile hotspot off of my Microsoft 640 LTE mobile to whomever it may concern if this matter isn't resolved I'm seriously considering switching to a different carrier check my record I usually have 14 gigs' sometimes more but if I can't share my mobile hotspot this loyal customer will most definitely be changing carriers hope that you can get this issue fixed hope you have wonderful and blessed day and please!! Let me know how to get this matter resolved I really like your network.. Your loyal customer James Campbell....
Message 150 of 164
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements
NEW - Take a look at our best value & price ever for unlimited wireless - AT&T Unlimited Starter and AT&T Unlimited Extra plans!

Additional Support