Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jan 29, 2013
11:31:37 AM
Unlimited Data Plan and Personal Hotspot possible?

Hello all,

I have been a customer with AT&T for over 10 years now and was pretty disappointed with the conversation I just had with one of their customer service representatives. Since I first purchased an iPhone I have had the unlimited data plan for $30 that was required for purchase at the time. I recognize that since they've done away with unlimited data as an option, I have not gone over the 2GB $25 plan, but I still have opted to pay the extra for unlimited usage in case the day should come that I needed it. 

Today I called the customer service line to inquire about why I was not able to set up a personal hotspot (when I try, my phone tells me to contact AT&T). I was told that I would need to "upgrade" (don't get stuck on the terms) to a 2GB ($25) or 5GB ($50) monthly option in order to use this feature. Something about this seems off to me since I have been carrying forward a plan that AT&T required me to have in the first place, but now it disqualifies me from a feature of the phone - not due to capabilities, mind you.

Does anyone know if there is the ability to combine these two features? Really frustrated with AT&T for making it (seem hopefully) an impossibility.

Appreciated.

Hello all,

I have been a customer with AT&T for over 10 years now and was pretty disappointed with the conversation I just had with one of their customer service representatives. Since I first purchased an iPhone I have had the unlimited data plan for $30 that was required for purchase at the time. I recognize that since they've done away with unlimited data as an option, I have not gone over the 2GB $25 plan, but I still have opted to pay the extra for unlimited usage in case the day should come that I needed it. 

Today I called the customer service line to inquire about why I was not able to set up a personal hotspot (when I try, my phone tells me to contact AT&T). I was told that I would need to "upgrade" (don't get stuck on the terms) to a 2GB ($25) or 5GB ($50) monthly option in order to use this feature. Something about this seems off to me since I have been carrying forward a plan that AT&T required me to have in the first place, but now it disqualifies me from a feature of the phone - not due to capabilities, mind you.

Does anyone know if there is the ability to combine these two features? Really frustrated with AT&T for making it (seem hopefully) an impossibility.

Appreciated.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Feb 5, 2014 9:40:21 AM
(0)
Community Support
Edited by ATTJulieCS on Sep 8, 2014 at 1:16:51 PM

Hi there everyone. Thanks for your posts! Though tethering is not available on grandfathered unlimited plans, and some other grandfathered plans, it is available with all Mobile Share plans on capable devices. When visiting this site, click on See Plan Details for complete details.

Hope this helps!

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
Accepted Solution

Unlimited Data Plan and Personal Hotspot possible?

125 replies
(12) Me too
(12) Me too
View all replies
(125)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 29, 2013 12:05:00 PM
(0)
Professor

No, they cannot be combined. Tethering was never an option with the unlimited plan, it was always an extra charge.

No, they cannot be combined. Tethering was never an option with the unlimited plan, it was always an extra charge.

Re: Unlimited Data Plan and Personal Hotspot possible?

2 of 126 (329,876 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 29, 2013 6:13:01 PM
(0)
Former Employee

Max69 wrote:

Also, the rep gave you bad info as the $25/2GB plan is no longer offered and did not include personal hotspot anyway. The only individual data plan that includes tethering/ hotspot is the $50/5 GB plan. All of the mobile share plans include tethering/ hotspot. 

Max69 wrote:

Also, the rep gave you bad info as the $25/2GB plan is no longer offered and did not include personal hotspot anyway. The only individual data plan that includes tethering/ hotspot is the $50/5 GB plan. All of the mobile share plans include tethering/ hotspot. 

3 of 126 (329,838 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 15, 2013 7:02:48 PM
(0)
Contributor

Hello Max,

I have AT&T prepaid $50 unlimited Data,Text,Call plan. I have unlocked iphone4 purchased from Apple. I want to use data plan on my iphone. I can use wifi but don't know the settings to set up data plan.

Hello Max,

I have AT&T prepaid $50 unlimited Data,Text,Call plan. I have unlocked iphone4 purchased from Apple. I want to use data plan on my iphone. I can use wifi but don't know the settings to set up data plan.

4 of 126 (326,600 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 16, 2013 5:13:20 AM
(0)
Former Employee

kapsgoel wrote:

Hello Max,

The iPhone is not supported on pre-paid and based on what others have posted, if it has iOS 6, no one has been able to get data to work. 

kapsgoel wrote:

Hello Max,

The iPhone is not supported on pre-paid and based on what others have posted, if it has iOS 6, no one has been able to get data to work. 

5 of 126 (326,544 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 22, 2013 5:58:28 AM
(0)
Contributor

Just extra info for all the customers out there trying to get a mobile hotspot and share their data. You CANNOT get mobile hotspot, or turn your laptop into one, or device, for that matter unlesee your running windows 7 or xp ! They even exchanged my usb laptop device after complainig on the phone to multiple people that I was sold a device that was fraudulently advertised to run with the system I had. And the new BEAM still doesnt run mobile hotspot unless you run mindows 7 ! windows 8 might as well take back device and buy mobile hotspot device primarily., before you get sucked into their 2 year agreement contact like I did. I am so upset I pay 50 $/mnth for 5gb a month without wifi and hotspot feature they advertise ! Any suggestions please advise. Another exchange perhapes? Maybe return ? They refused returning it.

Just extra info for all the customers out there trying to get a mobile hotspot and share their data. You CANNOT get mobile hotspot, or turn your laptop into one, or device, for that matter unlesee your running windows 7 or xp ! They even exchanged my usb laptop device after complainig on the phone to multiple people that I was sold a device that was fraudulently advertised to run with the system I had. And the new BEAM still doesnt run mobile hotspot unless you run mindows 7 ! windows 8 might as well take back device and buy mobile hotspot device primarily., before you get sucked into their 2 year agreement contact like I did. I am so upset I pay 50 $/mnth for 5gb a month without wifi and hotspot feature they advertise ! Any suggestions please advise. Another exchange perhapes? Maybe return ? They refused returning it.

6 of 126 (326,133 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 31, 2013 12:39:04 AM
(0)
Contributor
I have unlimited everything and I want personal hotspot to be set up on my iPhone 4S . Is there an extra charge and if not how do I get it set up?
I have unlimited everything and I want personal hotspot to be set up on my iPhone 4S . Is there an extra charge and if not how do I get it set up?

7 of 126 (325,394 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 31, 2013 4:22:44 AM
(0)
Expert

Nino1995 wrote:

hotspot s not available on the discontinued unlimited data plan and has never been available on it. If you want the hotspot capabilities you will either need to change to the new mobile share plan or the 5GB tiered plan

Nino1995 wrote:

hotspot s not available on the discontinued unlimited data plan and has never been available on it. If you want the hotspot capabilities you will either need to change to the new mobile share plan or the 5GB tiered plan

8 of 126 (325,383 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 25, 2013 8:59:11 PM
(0)
Teacher

This is what I have been dealing with and am frustrated that I would have to loose unlimted to gain access to hotspot. When I got my unlimited there was no such thing as hotspot or tethering with the phone. I beleive I should have access to the new capabilities as a loyal customer who continues to pay rather than getting more fees added. 

People with unlimted should send messages to corporate we have been grandfathered in so should we not get some benefit for our loyalty? Come on AT&T treat us better than this.

This is what I have been dealing with and am frustrated that I would have to loose unlimted to gain access to hotspot. When I got my unlimited there was no such thing as hotspot or tethering with the phone. I beleive I should have access to the new capabilities as a loyal customer who continues to pay rather than getting more fees added. 

People with unlimted should send messages to corporate we have been grandfathered in so should we not get some benefit for our loyalty? Come on AT&T treat us better than this.

9 of 126 (313,010 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 26, 2013 7:03:03 AM
(0)
Expert

Fjf3msw wrote:

actually there was, it was an additional charge feature even with the then active unlimited data plan. The plan is discontinued, if you want new features you need to switch data plans to one that supports the features that you want. They really need to sunset the unlimited plan once and for all like verizon did

Fjf3msw wrote:

actually there was, it was an additional charge feature even with the then active unlimited data plan. The plan is discontinued, if you want new features you need to switch data plans to one that supports the features that you want. They really need to sunset the unlimited plan once and for all like verizon did

10 of 126 (312,955 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 12, 2013 8:57:51 AM
(0)
Teacher

I have "unlimited" with no tethering also.

The unlimited is rather misleading in that my iPhone 5 is effectively unusable for data past 3 gigabytes with the throttling policy in place.

So AT&T will probably win and force me into a $20 more expensive data plan, but at least the device will be usable above 3 gigabytes. Hotspot could be fun, also.

Thank goodness I own some T and may perversely benefit from their increaased income. Smiley Mad

The unlimited is rather misleading in that my iPhone 5 is effectively unusable for data past 3 gigabytes with the throttling policy in place.

So AT&T will probably win and force me into a $20 more expensive data plan, but at least the device will be usable above 3 gigabytes. Hotspot could be fun, also.

Thank goodness I own some T and may perversely benefit from their increaased income. Smiley Mad

11 of 126 (300,639 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 12, 2013 12:51:29 PM
(0)
Former Employee

vrv2764 wrote:

Do you not have LTE service where you live? Throttling does not kick in until 5GB on LTE, so you might just want to hold out on dumping your unlimited if LTE service is iminent in your area.

vrv2764 wrote:

Do you not have LTE service where you live? Throttling does not kick in until 5GB on LTE, so you might just want to hold out on dumping your unlimited if LTE service is iminent in your area.

12 of 126 (300,608 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 12, 2013 1:21:47 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by vrv2764 on Dec 12, 2013 at 1:22:45 PM

Yes we have LTE here. Come to think of it, Last I went over 3 gb may have been on my iPhone 4...

I will put it to the test - and thank you for the info! Smiley Happy

Yes we have LTE here. Come to think of it, Last I went over 3 gb may have been on my iPhone 4...

I will put it to the test - and thank you for the info! Smiley Happy

[ Edited ]
13 of 126 (300,602 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 2, 2014 4:55:41 AM
(0)
Teacher

This is not an acceptable solution.  It is an insult to long term ATT subscribers.  I have paid in excess of $50,000 for service to ATT over the last 10 years for myself and my family, and now they want to nickel and dime me for a hotspot.  Owning shares in T does not make me feel any better about this situation.  It's time to switch to Verizon or some other service.

This is not an acceptable solution.  It is an insult to long term ATT subscribers.  I have paid in excess of $50,000 for service to ATT over the last 10 years for myself and my family, and now they want to nickel and dime me for a hotspot.  Owning shares in T does not make me feel any better about this situation.  It's time to switch to Verizon or some other service.

14 of 126 (290,639 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 2, 2014 5:31:28 AM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by vrv2764 on Feb 2, 2014 at 9:31:34 AM

I hear ya. I just dropped AT&T DSL service that I signed up for in 1994 IIRC. Also dropped my AT&T land line that I had since I first moved out if my parents house three+ decades ago, and switched to some sort of cable phone connection.

As soon as the iPhone 5 contract is up it will be time to switch cell carriers from Cingular who I've been with since forever.

I hear ya. I just dropped AT&T DSL service that I signed up for in 1994 IIRC. Also dropped my AT&T land line that I had since I first moved out if my parents house three+ decades ago, and switched to some sort of cable phone connection.

As soon as the iPhone 5 contract is up it will be time to switch cell carriers from Cingular who I've been with since forever.

[ Edited ]
15 of 126 (290,622 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 4, 2014 8:22:11 AM
(0)
Mentor

They have made it impossible to be a loyal customer and be treated like one. I have been with ATT since they were ATT, then Cingular, then ATT asgain, and they will not grandfather us in to use this feature. I dont get it. I feel like being grandfathered in for unlimited data was great, but now with technology, we all need to link to our home computers and each others phones (as a family I do this a lot) and I am the odd man out being the only person with ATT in the family. I have found that Sprint offers something more like this. I have to live out my contract with ATT so I can take my phone number of over 10 years with me. After the contract is up, I am vavavoom outa here. I deserve to feel like I am not losing somehting to gain a little. How dare ATT ask us to take a plan that is obviously inferior to what we originally PAY FOR in order to obtain equal opportunity to their other customers. Very disheartening. I was forced to take this data plan at the time, now they tell me I have to take a limited plan so they can charge me more money, God forbid I use some extra internet, and then present it as a service of some kind to us. Newsflash ATT, nobody feels they are getting anything other than "serviced" by you with this plan. I already pay you an arm and a leg, the loyalyty is unappreciated. I have two cell phone plans in my name, one has unlimited and the other goes over their data three times a month and he DOESNT tether, so stop telling me that nobody usually goes over 3GB.... Ugh, I could go on for days with my dissatisfaction and ideas to stop sticking it to me. I pay over 200 a month for two phones, I feel like for that money, I should be able to use that same internet on my dam tablet, without an additional fee!

They have made it impossible to be a loyal customer and be treated like one. I have been with ATT since they were ATT, then Cingular, then ATT asgain, and they will not grandfather us in to use this feature. I dont get it. I feel like being grandfathered in for unlimited data was great, but now with technology, we all need to link to our home computers and each others phones (as a family I do this a lot) and I am the odd man out being the only person with ATT in the family. I have found that Sprint offers something more like this. I have to live out my contract with ATT so I can take my phone number of over 10 years with me. After the contract is up, I am vavavoom outa here. I deserve to feel like I am not losing somehting to gain a little. How dare ATT ask us to take a plan that is obviously inferior to what we originally PAY FOR in order to obtain equal opportunity to their other customers. Very disheartening. I was forced to take this data plan at the time, now they tell me I have to take a limited plan so they can charge me more money, God forbid I use some extra internet, and then present it as a service of some kind to us. Newsflash ATT, nobody feels they are getting anything other than "serviced" by you with this plan. I already pay you an arm and a leg, the loyalyty is unappreciated. I have two cell phone plans in my name, one has unlimited and the other goes over their data three times a month and he DOESNT tether, so stop telling me that nobody usually goes over 3GB.... Ugh, I could go on for days with my dissatisfaction and ideas to stop sticking it to me. I pay over 200 a month for two phones, I feel like for that money, I should be able to use that same internet on my dam tablet, without an additional fee!

16 of 126 (289,901 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 4, 2014 8:35:10 AM
(0)
Mentor

My siblings have Sprint and love it, they also offer unlimited everything for cheaper than ATT, plus an insurance plan for 7 bux a month that offers water damage coverage!! Once I can afford to pay the cancellation or my contract is finally up, ATT will not get another dime out of me, my ten year loyalty apparently is not enough, I have to fight to get some recognition for this loyalty, so its time to move on. I am with you on that. I am so insulted to have paid for two phones for 10 years and I cant share my unlimited data with my dam tablet (which they want me to pay 25-50 dollars just to give it internet access as another phone line so that will also need the 9.99 for the added line too I presume) Its sick and disapppointing. Is there anything ATT offers that doesnt require the customer to be inconvenienced and work twice as hard to get what they need (or THINK they already pay for - as misrepresentation is another special here)? I even had u-verse, and let it be known there was NEVER a month that the bill was the same, there were always charged that needed to be disputed and it was always getting more and more expensive and not a single Rep could explain it to me where it made sense.  ATT get your stuff in line. With you not offering unlimited anymore and being one of the more expensive plans I think your loyal customers should be more of a priority, as the new ones will be gone as fast as they come when someone else offers a cheaper plan. We have stuck with you paying $80+ a month for a single line in some cases even when $50- unlimited everything plans are out there, and thats not enough for you to make a few exceptions? I would pay another 10/mo to tether my UNLIMITED plan, but like heck I am going to a limited data plan just to tether so you can try and make more money off me, I PAY YOU ENOUGH!

My siblings have Sprint and love it, they also offer unlimited everything for cheaper than ATT, plus an insurance plan for 7 bux a month that offers water damage coverage!! Once I can afford to pay the cancellation or my contract is finally up, ATT will not get another dime out of me, my ten year loyalty apparently is not enough, I have to fight to get some recognition for this loyalty, so its time to move on. I am with you on that. I am so insulted to have paid for two phones for 10 years and I cant share my unlimited data with my dam tablet (which they want me to pay 25-50 dollars just to give it internet access as another phone line so that will also need the 9.99 for the added line too I presume) Its sick and disapppointing. Is there anything ATT offers that doesnt require the customer to be inconvenienced and work twice as hard to get what they need (or THINK they already pay for - as misrepresentation is another special here)? I even had u-verse, and let it be known there was NEVER a month that the bill was the same, there were always charged that needed to be disputed and it was always getting more and more expensive and not a single Rep could explain it to me where it made sense.  ATT get your stuff in line. With you not offering unlimited anymore and being one of the more expensive plans I think your loyal customers should be more of a priority, as the new ones will be gone as fast as they come when someone else offers a cheaper plan. We have stuck with you paying $80+ a month for a single line in some cases even when $50- unlimited everything plans are out there, and thats not enough for you to make a few exceptions? I would pay another 10/mo to tether my UNLIMITED plan, but like heck I am going to a limited data plan just to tether so you can try and make more money off me, I PAY YOU ENOUGH!

17 of 126 (289,896 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 4, 2014 8:47:13 AM
(0)
Mentor

You know, its not like we dont pay for our data, its like they think they gave us something by letting us keep the unlimited data we PAY for, and have paid for, for as long as we have had this option, and frankly, even if it was 5 or 10 a month more to be able to use this plan with hot spot, I would be willing to pay as I know the capability of over-use is there, but to tell us we have to downgrade (or "upgrade " as they present this sack of poo) in order to tether/share internet access with my other devices is nuts. Very scorned by a selfish company. I pay over 200/month for two phones, and why should I be forced to find another provider in order to have features I want? Not good business in my opinion. Isnt every business goal based on KEEPING customers?, retention my friends, its possible if you start thinking about the customer and not dollar signs at every junction in the technology......

You know, its not like we dont pay for our data, its like they think they gave us something by letting us keep the unlimited data we PAY for, and have paid for, for as long as we have had this option, and frankly, even if it was 5 or 10 a month more to be able to use this plan with hot spot, I would be willing to pay as I know the capability of over-use is there, but to tell us we have to downgrade (or "upgrade " as they present this sack of poo) in order to tether/share internet access with my other devices is nuts. Very scorned by a selfish company. I pay over 200/month for two phones, and why should I be forced to find another provider in order to have features I want? Not good business in my opinion. Isnt every business goal based on KEEPING customers?, retention my friends, its possible if you start thinking about the customer and not dollar signs at every junction in the technology......

18 of 126 (289,892 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 4, 2014 8:56:29 AM
(0)
Mentor
http://lifehacker.com/5933152/the-right-to-tether-what-the-verizonfcc-settlement-means-to-you
Check this site out, Verizon was fined and can no longer disallow tethering, I would look into this further, and ATT, the thought is right, we pay for it, you are by your contract stating that we are entitled to s certain service, why cant we take full advantage of it and share what we pay for with our own items?? We should have THE RIGHT TO TETHER....
http://lifehacker.com/5933152/the-right-to-tether-what-the-verizonfcc-settlement-means-to-you
Check this site out, Verizon was fined and can no longer disallow tethering, I would look into this further, and ATT, the thought is right, we pay for it, you are by your contract stating that we are entitled to s certain service, why cant we take full advantage of it and share what we pay for with our own items?? We should have THE RIGHT TO TETHER....

19 of 126 (289,889 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 4, 2014 8:59:39 AM
(0)
Mentor
http://www.extremetech.com/electronics/133810-how-everyone-benefits-from-verizons-fcc-mandated-free-...
or this one too, we should all benefit, share this and keep passing these reports/articles around, it should not benefit just Verizon customers, ATT should take a hint and help us out here before their hands are tied to do so, it makes them look better to offer this before they are forced to, just makes a better face for the company
http://www.extremetech.com/electronics/133810-how-everyone-benefits-from-verizons-fcc-mandated-free-tethering
or this one too, we should all benefit, share this and keep passing these reports/articles around, it should not benefit just Verizon customers, ATT should take a hint and help us out here before their hands are tied to do so, it makes them look better to offer this before they are forced to, just makes a better face for the company

20 of 126 (289,888 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 4, 2014 10:24:28 AM
(0)
Teacher

Yea what Amber said. Amber - did you really just register and post all that beautiful prose, or are you some web bot that goes from AT&T bashing site to site?

WOW!

Yea what Amber said. Amber - did you really just register and post all that beautiful prose, or are you some web bot that goes from AT&T bashing site to site?

WOW!

21 of 126 (289,859 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 4, 2014 12:24:14 PM
(0)
Former Employee

Amber_Leigh_ChichWow wrote:

Did you read the link you posted completely? What Verizon was blocking was users ability to download apps that tether, not the ability to tether. Verizon customers still must have a data plan that supports tethering and just like AT&T, their grandfathered unlimited data plan does not support tethering either. According the the article you referenced:

Current customers with grandfathered unlimited data plans still have to pay. Unfortunately, if you want to tether with your unlimited plan, you have to either upgrade your plan to one of the new, Share Everything plans (which include tethering), or pony up $20/mo for Verizon's "Mobile Broadband Connect" service. You can still tether off the books and hope you don't get caught, but if they catch you, Verizon will either sign you up for Mobile Broadband Connect, put you on a Share Everything plan, or terminate your contract. Sorry.

Amber_Leigh_ChichWow wrote:

Did you read the link you posted completely? What Verizon was blocking was users ability to download apps that tether, not the ability to tether. Verizon customers still must have a data plan that supports tethering and just like AT&T, their grandfathered unlimited data plan does not support tethering either. According the the article you referenced:

Current customers with grandfathered unlimited data plans still have to pay. Unfortunately, if you want to tether with your unlimited plan, you have to either upgrade your plan to one of the new, Share Everything plans (which include tethering), or pony up $20/mo for Verizon's "Mobile Broadband Connect" service. You can still tether off the books and hope you don't get caught, but if they catch you, Verizon will either sign you up for Mobile Broadband Connect, put you on a Share Everything plan, or terminate your contract. Sorry.

22 of 126 (289,826 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Feb 5, 2014 9:40:21 AM
(0)
Community Support
Edited by ATTJulieCS on Sep 8, 2014 at 1:16:51 PM

Hi there everyone. Thanks for your posts! Though tethering is not available on grandfathered unlimited plans, and some other grandfathered plans, it is available with all Mobile Share plans on capable devices. When visiting this site, click on See Plan Details for complete details.

Hope this helps!

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

Hope this helps!

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

[ Edited ]
23 of 126 (289,526 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 6, 2014 2:32:17 PM
(0)
Tutor
I'm tired of this only 5 month mistake already. We already ditched our satellite n internet services.Replaced TV w/ a more cost effective service. N We likes!! Now bout ma phone....I m hearing n reading way too much bad news n combined w/ma own experiences, baleve it'z gonna go soon. Quite soon. I do my research. N I take better notes than this company obviously other than tracking everything on my phone.
All I wanted was 3 lil issues resolved. No biggie. I pay them. Not other way around. I worked as a CSR in a bank for over 10 years. No customers no jobs. Nothing is irreplaceable.
I'm tired of this only 5 month mistake already. We already ditched our satellite n internet services.Replaced TV w/ a more cost effective service. N We likes!! Now bout ma phone....I m hearing n reading way too much bad news n combined w/ma own experiences, baleve it'z gonna go soon. Quite soon. I do my research. N I take better notes than this company obviously other than tracking everything on my phone.
All I wanted was 3 lil issues resolved. No biggie. I pay them. Not other way around. I worked as a CSR in a bank for over 10 years. No customers no jobs. Nothing is irreplaceable.

24 of 126 (289,066 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 16, 2014 4:37:04 PM
(0)
Expert

It is also against the contractual agreement that you have with the carrier.

It is also against the contractual agreement that you have with the carrier.

25 of 126 (285,154 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 23, 2014 10:45:35 PM
(0)
Contributor

GavinOnAniPhone

I totally agree with you, we are forced to carry a data plan so I carried 4GB and never use hardly any of them, and time for my upgrade and the phone I finally decided to go with after searching all of them and comparing them, my Sister -in-law who has never been with AT&T can go in and get  a package the same price as I am paying now for 4GB and hers is 10GB which no way I would ever need that, but she gets phones free up to 10 and then$100.00 rebate for each phone she adds, but here is the catch, $40.00 per phone to have it add to your service per month. paying $160.00 for the service already why so much to add a phone the plan doesn't do you a bit of good with out your phone. Well I added it up and if we all got on that plan under her and we got  3 smart phones and a rugby flip phone and my tablet added on, it would run $305.00 per month. That is more than my car payment. I refuse to pay that kind of price. I have had service wtih AT&T for over 10 years as well, plus my home phone has always been with AT&T, my wireless Internet is with them as well and it doesn't work half the time. So I have decided I am just going back to a flip phone and just get me a simple plan and it won't be with AT&T as much as I like there service  on cell phones. I don't like it that much.... This phone stuff is getting way out of hand and I am done unless there is a very special offer for me and I am sure that isn't going to happen.....

very disappointed with them.   and also they offered me to go to the AT&T Next plan and then I get to pay $40.00 for each phone and then for the phone I want I have to pay $30.00 a month to have it.... so add that on times 3 and  and probalby a another $15-20.00 a month for the flip phone my brother wanted....outrageous it what it is....

GavinOnAniPhone

I totally agree with you, we are forced to carry a data plan so I carried 4GB and never use hardly any of them, and time for my upgrade and the phone I finally decided to go with after searching all of them and comparing them, my Sister -in-law who has never been with AT&T can go in and get  a package the same price as I am paying now for 4GB and hers is 10GB which no way I would ever need that, but she gets phones free up to 10 and then$100.00 rebate for each phone she adds, but here is the catch, $40.00 per phone to have it add to your service per month. paying $160.00 for the service already why so much to add a phone the plan doesn't do you a bit of good with out your phone. Well I added it up and if we all got on that plan under her and we got  3 smart phones and a rugby flip phone and my tablet added on, it would run $305.00 per month. That is more than my car payment. I refuse to pay that kind of price. I have had service wtih AT&T for over 10 years as well, plus my home phone has always been with AT&T, my wireless Internet is with them as well and it doesn't work half the time. So I have decided I am just going back to a flip phone and just get me a simple plan and it won't be with AT&T as much as I like there service  on cell phones. I don't like it that much.... This phone stuff is getting way out of hand and I am done unless there is a very special offer for me and I am sure that isn't going to happen.....

very disappointed with them.   and also they offered me to go to the AT&T Next plan and then I get to pay $40.00 for each phone and then for the phone I want I have to pay $30.00 a month to have it.... so add that on times 3 and  and probalby a another $15-20.00 a month for the flip phone my brother wanted....outrageous it what it is....

26 of 126 (282,482 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 24, 2014 9:07:59 AM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by sarunas on Feb 24, 2014 at 9:08:30 AM

With the original $30/unlimited data plan Wi-Fi hotspot "just worked" with Google Nexus One and Nokia N9. No aditional charges/features were required.

Now with Moto X it doesn't work anymore (sends you to AT&T for extra charges).

With the original $30/unlimited data plan Wi-Fi hotspot "just worked" with Google Nexus One and Nokia N9. No aditional charges/features were required.

Now with Moto X it doesn't work anymore (sends you to AT&T for extra charges).

[ Edited ]
27 of 126 (282,341 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 26, 2014 11:30:37 PM
(0)
Tutor
I went w/ a go phone! For smartphones, prepaid. I got 2 pick my own phone.
Got a ONE YEAR WARRANTY N IT'Z UNLIMITED TALK, TXT, N. U GET 2 GB A DATA A
MONTH N WIFI IZ FREE. BUT, U HAFTA GET THA DATA. ALL 4 $60 PLUS TAXES N MY
STATES 911 FEE. I ALWAYS KNOW WHAT MY BILL IZ GONNA B EACH MONTH SO I WENT
ON AUTO REFILL W/MY DEBIT CARD!! BEWARE CUSTOMER CARE FOR GOPHONES...U GET
PEEPS THAT SHOULD NOT B WURKIN FOR AT&T. THEY KNOW NUTHIN N WON'T HELP. BUT
THEN, WHEN UR WARRANTY IZ UP, U CAN B FREE 2 UPGRADE, BUT, ALL @ UR
EXPENSE. I COULDA WENT BY CONTRACT, BUT I DID THIS AS A BUDGET MINDER. N IF
U RUN OUTTA DATA ON UR ANDROID U CAN PURCHASE BY 1 GB INCREMENTS FOR 10
BUCKS. BUT I ONLY HAVE 1 PHONE NOW.
I WEIGHED PROS N CONS. N IT WUZ BEST OPTION 4 ME...
MY FAMILY WUZ PAYING TOO TOO MUCH.

FiercelyAblaze
I went w/ a go phone! For smartphones, prepaid. I got 2 pick my own phone.
Got a ONE YEAR WARRANTY N IT'Z UNLIMITED TALK, TXT, N. U GET 2 GB A DATA A
MONTH N WIFI IZ FREE. BUT, U HAFTA GET THA DATA. ALL 4 $60 PLUS TAXES N MY
STATES 911 FEE. I ALWAYS KNOW WHAT MY BILL IZ GONNA B EACH MONTH SO I WENT
ON AUTO REFILL W/MY DEBIT CARD!! BEWARE CUSTOMER CARE FOR GOPHONES...U GET
PEEPS THAT SHOULD NOT B WURKIN FOR AT&T. THEY KNOW NUTHIN N WON'T HELP. BUT
THEN, WHEN UR WARRANTY IZ UP, U CAN B FREE 2 UPGRADE, BUT, ALL @ UR
EXPENSE. I COULDA WENT BY CONTRACT, BUT I DID THIS AS A BUDGET MINDER. N IF
U RUN OUTTA DATA ON UR ANDROID U CAN PURCHASE BY 1 GB INCREMENTS FOR 10
BUCKS. BUT I ONLY HAVE 1 PHONE NOW.
I WEIGHED PROS N CONS. N IT WUZ BEST OPTION 4 ME...
MY FAMILY WUZ PAYING TOO TOO MUCH.

FiercelyAblaze

28 of 126 (281,502 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 1, 2014 1:35:01 PM
(0)
Teacher
Right there with you. Being a loyal customer seems completely lost here. to boot, I am a retiree and they have such automated "safeguards" to drop any deviation they view it as some attempt at fraud. No, i am not defrauding the company, I actually bought something more, which was once billed together home phone and cell phone. Not any more. Autompay discontinued and they say you are lat paying. How does one be late paying on auto pay? They will manage to do that even when I did not ask for auto lay to stop. That was internal policy, not me. So they manage to mess it up even more because of internal policies, such as "you need to adapt to us" although your bill was always paid in full. Well then they saw my address is a PO Box and assumed I was up to no good. Well, I want my bills and mail in a safe place, safer than the road where people are. Hello. How many competitors are available? Methinks ATT might need to rethink their internal policies and adapt to comsimers caught on video reqchingin to get information to steal identitis.
AT &T has had my business in good status through ALL its incarnations. The first time they knocked me off the cheap plan by changin their signal. No longer provide that opd signal, you must upgrade to our plan, our processes. Including being billed double and more. I do appreciate those competitors to keep the huge telecoms honest. When ATT sees customers flocking away they may act. consumers are their bread and butter. They need to offer something people demand & stop trying to coerce us off the thing we paid dearly for when it first came out. I get no discount for that as a retiree and paid $30.00 for years and years, but they do mot see it that way. They view it as though they are blessing me with their data, which they viw as me gobbling it up.
I recently got a Verizon wifi device and the data is outrageously expensive and gone in no time. ATT does have it, but the cost is probitive.
I want data, paid for data and they will not allow me to use what I paid for and never came close to using one gig a monthh most of the time.
Currently, i am at my 85 year old mother's fir extended stay for health issues. She has no internet and watches game show. I need something more and would buy data at a reasoble price as needed. I cannot see a no contract a la carte menu for using a laptop tethered to my cell phone for reasonanle and fills my needs.
How sad that the lack of bandwidth and the ability to provide for the demand is met with "you must buy what we sell" and be glad we let you keep what you bought.
Venting here, but after all these years of paying for unused data, I get the feeling that there will be. Day of reckoning, like long distance now included and we have options. Just a suggestion to ATT, get more plans and sell what we want. Do not focus on your internal red tape and attempts to coerce consumers. Offer what people want and you will get more customers.
Right there with you. Being a loyal customer seems completely lost here. to boot, I am a retiree and they have such automated "safeguards" to drop any deviation they view it as some attempt at fraud. No, i am not defrauding the company, I actually bought something more, which was once billed together home phone and cell phone. Not any more. Autompay discontinued and they say you are lat paying. How does one be late paying on auto pay? They will manage to do that even when I did not ask for auto lay to stop. That was internal policy, not me. So they manage to mess it up even more because of internal policies, such as "you need to adapt to us" although your bill was always paid in full. Well then they saw my address is a PO Box and assumed I was up to no good. Well, I want my bills and mail in a safe place, safer than the road where people are. Hello. How many competitors are available? Methinks ATT might need to rethink their internal policies and adapt to comsimers caught on video reqchingin to get information to steal identitis.
AT &T has had my business in good status through ALL its incarnations. The first time they knocked me off the cheap plan by changin their signal. No longer provide that opd signal, you must upgrade to our plan, our processes. Including being billed double and more. I do appreciate those competitors to keep the huge telecoms honest. When ATT sees customers flocking away they may act. consumers are their bread and butter. They need to offer something people demand & stop trying to coerce us off the thing we paid dearly for when it first came out. I get no discount for that as a retiree and paid $30.00 for years and years, but they do mot see it that way. They view it as though they are blessing me with their data, which they viw as me gobbling it up.
I recently got a Verizon wifi device and the data is outrageously expensive and gone in no time. ATT does have it, but the cost is probitive.
I want data, paid for data and they will not allow me to use what I paid for and never came close to using one gig a monthh most of the time.
Currently, i am at my 85 year old mother's fir extended stay for health issues. She has no internet and watches game show. I need something more and would buy data at a reasoble price as needed. I cannot see a no contract a la carte menu for using a laptop tethered to my cell phone for reasonanle and fills my needs.
How sad that the lack of bandwidth and the ability to provide for the demand is met with "you must buy what we sell" and be glad we let you keep what you bought.
Venting here, but after all these years of paying for unused data, I get the feeling that there will be. Day of reckoning, like long distance now included and we have options. Just a suggestion to ATT, get more plans and sell what we want. Do not focus on your internal red tape and attempts to coerce consumers. Offer what people want and you will get more customers.

29 of 126 (280,756 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 1, 2014 1:41:38 PM
(0)
Teacher
Sorry for the typos. I would be using my laptop, but I can't afford changing data plans for temporary situation that I am in right now. I came looking for information, even looking for dial up numbers to solve this issue. Looks like maybe that is out, too.
Sorry for the typos. I would be using my laptop, but I can't afford changing data plans for temporary situation that I am in right now. I came looking for information, even looking for dial up numbers to solve this issue. Looks like maybe that is out, too.

30 of 126 (280,754 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments