Need your talk or text logs?
GavinOnAniPhone's profile

Tutor

• 

1 Message

Tuesday, January 29th, 2013 7:31 PM

Unlimited Data Plan and Personal Hotspot possible?

Hello all,

I have been a customer with AT&T for over 10 years now and was pretty disappointed with the conversation I just had with one of their customer service representatives. Since I first purchased an iPhone I have had the unlimited data plan for $30 that was required for purchase at the time. I recognize that since they've done away with unlimited data as an option, I have not gone over the 2GB $25 plan, but I still have opted to pay the extra for unlimited usage in case the day should come that I needed it. 

Today I called the customer service line to inquire about why I was not able to set up a personal hotspot (when I try, my phone tells me to contact AT&T). I was told that I would need to "upgrade" (don't get stuck on the terms) to a 2GB ($25) or 5GB ($50) monthly option in order to use this feature. Something about this seems off to me since I have been carrying forward a plan that AT&T required me to have in the first place, but now it disqualifies me from a feature of the phone - not due to capabilities, mind you.

Does anyone know if there is the ability to combine these two features? Really frustrated with AT&T for making it (seem hopefully) an impossibility.

Appreciated.

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

7 years ago

@Anonymous

most people take the unlimited data option with ATT and Direct TV because those other networks don't reach them and they have no broadband internet options.  If they need Internet on other devices they purchase a limited plan for a data only hotspot and use it as little as possible.

Im going to guess you don't get T-Mobile or Sprint or home internet connection where you live, or you wouldn't be using ATT.   This is the hand dealt based on location.  (Where real estate is dirt cheap, so it's a trade off)

ATT has no reason to offer the same plans as Sprint and T-Mobile, because those carriers don't cover places ATT does cover.  Sprint and T-mobile still fight for customers in areas they do cover, because they don't cover it all that well.

If T-Mobile keeps going, they might start giving ATT some real competition.  Until then, your options are relocate or deal with what is available to you.  

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

Since AT&T is now charging an additional $5 per line for this plan I am very disappointed that they have not resolved the issue of setting up a personal hotspot with the plan. I really hope that AT&T would be wise enough to review this and come with a proper resolution for their loyal customers.

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

7 years ago

@cbramsey wrote:
Since AT&T is now charging an additional $5 per line for this plan I am very disappointed that they have not resolved the issue of setting up a personal hotspot with the plan. I really hope that AT&T would be wise enough to review this and come with a proper resolution for their loyal customers.

ATT is charging $5 more for the grandfathered plan, raising it to the same price as the new unlimited plan.  If you are surprised, you might be a bit delusional.... I could see it coming.  I would be mildly surprised if it goes up again, and again, to match the $50 Verizon charges.  

No tethering isn't an "issue" (as in problem) and ATT has no intention of changing.  

ATT knows very well people that say they "need the plan, because they have no other source of Internet".  Riiiiight..... This means they will use several hundred gigs of data tethering the entire house, using cellular to substitute for home internet.  

This is the problem Verizon has with a handful of customers.  Those customers are being threatened with termination.  

ATT learned from mistakes of others.  

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@cbramsey wrote:

There is NOTHING to resolve. I'll be shocked if they ever come out with what you consider to be "proper resolution".

All their loyal customers that chose to get a non-unlimited plan can tether just fine. I would think that it is resolved in their eyes.

Master

• 

3.5K Messages

7 years ago

@Gary L wrote:

@cbramsey wrote:

There is NOTHING to resolve. I'll be shocked if they ever come out with what you consider to be "proper resolution".

All their loyal customers that chose to get a non-unlimited plan can tether just fine. I would think that it is resolved in their eyes.

Exactly, what @Gary L said, either choose an unlimited plan (no tethering), a plan with a bunch of data (including tethering), or another carrier, simple enough.

It's sort of like those extended auto warranties, which have a bunch of exclusions (and generally aren't the best deal, obviously, or they wouldn't offer them).  You can choose though, take the warranty, and the exlusions, or shop around, for another warranty (most people don't realize they can shop these, even from different dealerships, not just independent) that suits what you're after, if it exists.

Until there's something compelling enough for AT&T to offer unlimited data and tethering, they probably won't, it's their business perogative.  

Do people really use more than say the 40 or 50GB plans?  

If you're tethering mostly for steaming, maybe the new video plan options make more sense?  It's funny though, it sort of shoots all sorts of holes (some of us have been saying this for awhile) in the "no carrier could handle all this streaming" idea, if they're going to sell you a plan that includes more or less unlimited streaming, one of the most data-intensive operations on a cell network...

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

7 years ago

I would think the ones who don't complain are using the data plan to the fullest.  

Those who write in are either not making good use of the plan so it really isn't that valuable to them.  These are people who should have moved off it ages ago.

OR ..they are unaware of what it will cost or even what is available with other carriers.   

By all means, go.  Find out.   You might be pleased, or you might be back.

Just remember, once you give up the plan, you can't get it back.  

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

Verizon allow it .are they doing better than att ?

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

7 years ago

@Jp3108008034 wrote:
Verizon allow it .are they doing better than att ?

verizon does not allow tethering on unlimited plans..   they did offer a add on but it was canceled when the plan was.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

I also am having the same issue. I've been with at&t a very very long time & have been grandfathered in as well as a loyal customer . I want a hotspot on my iphone6+, but seems it will cost to much for just 5gb. My husband just switch to Verizon and now Verizon has unlimited with Hotspot. So as much as I hate to switch carriers it seems like the smartest thing to do 😞

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@Tambo1965 wrote:

I also am having the same issue. I've been with at&t a very very long time & have been grandfathered in as well as a loyal customer . I want a hotspot on my iphone6+, but seems it will cost to much for just 5gb. My husband just switch to Verizon and now Verizon has unlimited with Hotspot. So as much as I hate to switch carriers it seems like the smartest thing to do 😞

Do you really use "unlimited" I dumped my unlimited last year (mostly so I could hotspot), I've got 3 of us on a 20GB plan and it's more data than we ever need to use. And it's much cheaper for us.

My only habits that have changed is that I make sure I run updates and big downloads at home instead of on cellular (but I didn't like to do that on cellular anyways because it just chewed through my battery). 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.