Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Impacted by the government shutdown? AT&T can help.  Learn more

Two Part Data Usage Question

Highlighted
Contributor

Two Part Data Usage Question

Hey all, first I’m sorry if this is not in the right spot but this is my first time and i am on mobile. So, I have accrued 2 or 3 overage charges this month between my husband and me (mostly my husband because he had forgot to turn WiFi on). If I up my plan to unlimited premium will they  wave the fees we have accrued for this month from going over?

Right now we pay for 15 gigs between the two of us and this is the first time we have ever gone over. Right now I’m looking at 30-45 dollars extra in charges. If I upgrade I’m looking at 57 extra dollars a month. Do you think this is worth it?

Message 1 of 4
ACE - Expert

Re: Two Part Data Usage Question

If your bill has not cycled yet, you can change your plan and backdate the change to the beginning of the bill cycle. That will wipe out any overage charges. If your bill has cycled, sorry, changing your plan won’t stop those overage charges. You don’t have to change to unlimited, you can change to a Mobile Share Flex plan. There are no overages on that plan. I believe you could get a 20GB Flex plan for $10 more than you are paying now. I believe I have the same plan as you, it also still charges overages. If this is the only time you have gotten overages, I’d keep the old plan. Even $45 in overages occasionally is less than $57 every month. You are also paying $15 line fees, that’s a good deal.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 4
ACE - Expert

@quirkycupcake wrote:

Hey all, first I’m sorry if this is not in the right spot but this is my first time and i am on mobile. So, I have accrued 2 or 3 overage charges this month between my husband and me (mostly my husband because he had forgot to turn WiFi on). If I up my plan to unlimited premium will they  wave the fees we have accrued for this month from going over?

Right now we pay for 15 gigs between the two of us and this is the first time we have ever gone over. Right now I’m looking at 30-45 dollars extra in charges. If I upgrade I’m looking at 57 extra dollars a month. Do you think this is worth it?

Why does he turn WiFi off?

If you would like to be using more data and you'd like to connect your laptop or tablet occasionally, then it seems like it's worth it to you.

Just make sure you are backdating it to the beginning of your cycle BEFORE the end of your cycle.

• Rember the Golden Rule: Treat others how you would like to be treated.
  • Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 4
ACE - Sage

I just had a similar discussion with my sister and encouraged her not to change plans.  

So ask yourselves the following:

1.  Is this going to happen every month, or just a summer traveling thing?

2.  Does the total of temporary overages meet the cost of increasing the plan to 20 gig Flex plan or unlimited?  

3.  Do you have a discount? (You lose it going on unlimited data)

BTW the Flex plan is $100 for 20 gigs, but line fees are $20, discounts still apply.  If you haven’t been billed yet you can change plans and back date.  

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Message 4 of 4
Share this topic
Share this topic
Learn how to avoid overages. View Data Usage Help!
Additional Support