Need your talk or text logs?
Dcookie's profile

Expert

• 

20.5K Messages

Thursday, May 29th, 2008 1:56 AM

Closed

To use AIM from my phone, how much will I be billed for internet usage?

I have Unlimited Family Messaging on my plan and it is supposed to INCLUDE, "TEXT, PICTURE, VIDEO and IM". Does anyone know how the AIM works....the amount that At&t charges to connect to the internet? AIM was already installed on my phone and THOUGHT since I used it, there would be NO charges. Do you NOT get charged if you IM from phone to phone? Do you get charged for IMing from phone to home? CAN ANYONE PLEASE EXPLAIN THIS TO ME...I'M SO CONFUSED!

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Master

• 

4.3K Messages

16 years ago

If you use the AIM that was preinstalled on your phone to IM, then you will *not* be charged for it as it is counted as part of the Unlimited Family Messaging Plan that you have.

Have fun!

Expert

• 

20.5K Messages

16 years ago

That's NOT what I was told, as of yesterday, when I called Customer Care. What they told me was, everytime I LOG ON to AIM, I would be charged for data usage but am NOT charged to send messages. Also was told that if I send VIDEO, I would also be charged DATA USAGE. I don't get it since it IS supposed to be included. As far as what I could figure, from what I was told, the ONLY way I DON'T get charged data usage is if I send TEXTS and PICTURES (UNDER 300 kb). So then, WHAT AM I PAYING $30.00 a month for? Would I be better off having THIS or an Unlimted Media Max or adding Unlimited Media Net to my plan as well???

Master

• 

4.3K Messages

16 years ago

You asked the question. I answered it. If you search this forum, you will see similar answers.

Ultimately, it's up to you whom you want to believe.

All I can say is that, through now, all my data associated with IM and MMS, while they have shown up on my Online Account Manager (OLAM) as small #s of kb, they were not charged when I got my final bill for that month.

I actually had this same question, but couldn't really answer it until I got my bill.

Message Edited by csp_gp on 05-29-2008 07:26:53 AM

Expert

• 

20.5K Messages

16 years ago

Thanks, and I think I'll have to call Cutomer Care again TODAY and argue this with them. I DON'T believe it SHOULD incur data charges if I use the AIM that was already installed on my phone. I HAVE been reading posts on here..some say it does and other say it doesn't charge for data usage. It DOES say, as I've mentioned before, that IM is INCLUDED in the Unlimited Family Messaging, as well as VIDEO. Do the people at Customer Care KNOW what they're talking about?

Expert

• 

20.5K Messages

16 years ago

csp_gp,

Have a question....do you use a screen name when Instant Messaging or your 10 digit phone number? I WAS using my AIM screen name but have read on other posts that I should be using my 10 digit number, instead, and these will come through as text messages. Maybe that's WHY I incurred data usage charges? I don't have a media plan and understand that I probably WILL be charged data usage charges just to sign onto AIM. Would you suggest getting Unlimted Media Net? Thanks!

Dcookie

Master

• 

4.3K Messages

16 years ago

You know what I do (actually, what my BF does) is I logged into AIM on the computer and *forwarded* his AIM to his phone.

When you register your mobile device, a confirmation number will be sent to your it to confirm the tie-in of your AIM screenname to your phone. This confirmation number needs to be then confirmed in the AIM screen. Once that is done, you just send a text from your phone that says "In screenname password" to 246246 and then all the AIMs that are sent to your screen name will be forwarded to your phone automatically. You will get a confirmation text from AIM when you are successfully logged in on your phone.

This avoids any data charges because you're logging in via text instead of data.

Every now and then the AIM on your phone will log out, BUT AIM sends you a message telling you you've been logged out. All you have to do is re-login using the "in ..." text message to log back in.

The only thing is that when you get an AIM this way, the AIM screen name doesn't show in the msg box, but rather a series of numbers. You need to create a new contact for that series of numbers (put into the mobile # field) and name the contact JOHN'S AIM, so that when you receive future AIM's from John, you'll see his name instead of a series of numbers.

Message Edited by csp_gp on 05-31-2008 09:39:20 AM

Message Edited by csp_gp on 05-31-2008 09:49:04 AM

Expert

• 

20.5K Messages

16 years ago

Thanks....not that I IM that much but, thanks for the info. Maybe because I IM'd from my phone to a pc is why I got charged. Obviously they weren't text messages. I'm kind of NEW to all this stuff. At least I know now that maybe I don't really need to get Unlimited Media Net to use it.

Thanks again!

Dcookie
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.