Need your talk or text logs?
bruwelch's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Saturday, December 20th, 2014 1:52 PM

Tethering or Hotspot with iPhone 6 for a laptop?

How do I go about using my iPhone 6 Plus to connect to the internet. I replaced my Blackberry and I just received my iPhone 6+. I used to use my Blackberry to tether my work laptop. I have a 3G Mobile Share plan. Do I need to change my plan to the 5G Data Share plan or can I use my iPhone as a hotspot for my laptop using the Mobile Share plan?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

13.1K Messages

9 years ago

On any of the mobile share data plans, tethering is allowed. Go to the Settings - Personal Hotspot and turn it on.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

9 years ago

that doesnt work for unlimited data plan users 

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

9 years ago

Mobile Share plan users do not have the old, grandfathered, unlimited data plan. The plan you are speaking of was retired from sales before the mobile hotspot feature was available on the iPhone, so the old plan was never changed to allow the feature. The mobile share plans include tethering as a part of the plan since they are much newer plans.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

9 years ago

It doesn't matter what you call it or how you want to name it or whatever they are all data plans for the same company because my contract is unlimited it doesn't matter. I should be able to use all of the features of my phone just charge me for the data I use, oh wait I have unlimited data. So they can't charge me extra if I go over. Why am I paying this company for data if I can't use it anyway I want within the law

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

9 years ago

I'm with you on this. I've had unlimited data for years and mine won't work as a hotspot unless I change my plan. Sounds like a scam.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

I agree- they want to limit your data usage so you will lose unlimited data if you use your phone as a personal hotspot. And you can be charged for cellular data roaming if you are not close to an att tower and connect to another carrier's network. Unlimited data is not unlimited.

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

7 years ago

@Kiwi16  unlimited data is unlimited, but it is one device only.  You are not charged extra if using ATT network.  No one said you can use your ATT plan anywhere in the world.  If you travel out of the US, of course you are charged.  Just like any other customer on any other plan.  

Employee

• 

3.5K Messages

7 years ago

It is unlimited. You can literally use as much data as you want ON THE DEVICE with the data. No whether that data is at full LTE speeds or throttled is a different story. However unlimited data at 128 kilobits per second is still unlimited. Sharing via tethering is adding a new, different device into the fray. It's not a single device in that instance but multiple points of demarcation being added to the network.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

Thanks for the info. I understand about international travel. I was told I used too much cellular data while I was in Arizona- I didn't expect that! If no att network available data usage is considered roaming-even if in the USA.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.