For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need your talk or text logs?
Thorkhild's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Friday, March 7th, 2014 1:09 AM

Support for unlocked Lumia 1020 on tmo - Internet sharing

I know AT&T locks out internet sharing , but i have an unlocked 1020.  Is there a way to get that feature unlocked so it will work ?

I know at&T can't garantee that tmo will have done their job to make it work, but i need teh feature on teh phone unlocked first. 

The phone was sim unlocked from AT&T.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

10 years ago

@Thorkhild wrote:

I know AT&T locks out internet sharing , but i have an unlocked 1020.  Is there a way to get that feature unlocked so it will work ?

I know at&T can't garantee that tmo will have done their job to make it work, but i need teh feature on teh phone unlocked first. 

The phone was sim unlocked from AT&T.

ATT does not lock out mobile sharing or hotspot at the device level, if they detect you doing it on a data plan that is not authorized for it they will send you a warning that you will have your data plan changed to one that supports tethering/hotspot

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

10 years ago

1) Settings

2) Internet Sharing

3) Make a Network name & Password

4) Connect with a compatible adapter A,B,G,N

TroubleShoot

5) Reset Phone - Some applications like to use internet and conflict with settings.

6) Test Wifi on working internet connection ensure the adapter is working on the phone.

No windows 8 phone is unlocked. There is a method to get Microsoft mobile source code. As a student good luck with that. TEH with your engineering degree in Code.

It is like a 15$ a month charge to have the service unlocked and formally make it an ATT problem. LOL

You really do not' have the bandwidth on any ATT plan to run a un-optimized web browser. 

(DNS)-Dynamic name server is a computer server that hosts a network service. The DNS routes all the internet traffic for the provider. When you make an (AP)-Access Point, "internet sharing". Each new device gets an (IP)-Internet Protocal address. ATT will see the associated IP's going through the DNS to your phones AP. This is similar to all cable providers. However there is another change of hands the (IMEI)- International Mobile Equipment Identity for tower routing on mobile.

-Speculating-

I think the DNS maintenance software is not active but can be set to block if needed.Sweeps are part of maintenance. you might not be on when  they do sweep and if your low in priority the sweep doesnt always get to you. For example (p2p)-Peer2Peer is hard on the DNS to route and raises the priority.

ATT does not lock out mobile sharing or hotspots at the device level it allows for your device to communicate as an AP assign IP's that can be routed by the  DNS. 

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

I was able to fix this pre-cyan update using teh foreign sim card trick.   BUT now that cyan has come out it no longer works. AT&T has changed something in the latest build and i am back to having teh upsell prompt when ever i try to turn on internet sharing.

Please ATT  tell me how to fix this. 

btw  I got it to work on anotehr 1020 from rogers wireless so i know the problem is related to teh ATT build.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

9 years ago

your stuck with it.  ATT says the phone will work unlocked but not all the features.  You also run into this with android unlocked phones.  There easy to fix windows phone not so much.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.