Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Sudden hot spot throttling

Teacher

Sudden hot spot throttling

D373A2DF-866D-4288-A9A6-0A98C626A3F6.jpeg

72B599DC-F25E-42C2-B563-300149A501F2.jpeg

I’ve had the unlimited plan for a year now and live in a very rural area so have had no slow downs. We also use our hot spots for streaming. We’ve been doing this for a year now, consistently using over 400 gigs of data each month with like I said, no sow downs or throttling of any kind. Then all of a sudden on 6-17 we get a notice that we’re approaching hot spot limit and then bam now all our hot spots basically become useless after 10 gigs. What’s going on here? Is there like a one year limit? The cell service is still going strong so I don’t know why the hot spot is suddenly being throttled. When I look at my usage online it doesn’t even show anything about hot spot caps on any months until this one. I’m adding screenshots of my current month and my last month. Anyone know what’s going on?

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 147
ACE - Expert

Re: The hot spot should throttle at 10GB.

@doodle0412 wrote:

I was told I could stream on the Roku. I was told it might be slowed due to congestion. They straight up lied to me. 

You can stream on the Roku, just only for a few hours.

Realistically, they told you how it was working at the time. And that's how it had been working since the plan was created about the year before. 

But that's not what the plan is and what you actually signed up for was what the plan is.

I didn’t disconnect from Hugesnet for a month to make sure it worked. It worked great for 5 months.

So you didn't believe that the plan would work that way, so you didn't disconnect for a month?

Did you consider reading the details for the plan that you actually signed up for?

• Rember the Golden Rule: Treat others how you would like to be treated.
  • Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 61 of 147
Mentor

When they can’t print out the contract and their tablet goes down, no I can’t. I can only take their word. So yes they lied. Don’t try to defend their actions. Since you can read, you can see I am not the only one.

Message 62 of 147
ACE - Expert

@doodle0412 wrote:
When they can’t print out the contract and their tablet goes down, no I can’t. I can only take their word.

Yes, because paper is the only way to communicate these days, @doodle0412 implied while communicating via the internet...

Now YOU are making excuses DEFENDING your INaction? You could have googled it while you were there, or when you got home, or anytime during the month you were doubting it and keeping HughesNet just in case.

Don’t try to defend their actions. 

Not trying to, PLEASE show where someone is defending their actions. I thought it was implied they were wrong?

Just because we are critical of your choice in checking up on this on your own, doesn't mean they were right. 

The conversation was started by YOU, not them, you are the person we are talking to. If they come here and say I'm the one not being straight with customers, I'll tell them they were wrong in what they didn't do too.

Since you can read, you can see I am not the only one.

Well, you know what they say P. T. Barnum said...

Hint: it wasn't "The others didn't read their contract, so why should I have to?"

• Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 63 of 147
Mentor

I was there to get a phone with internet. I didn’t have that option as I stated before.  Maybe you need to learn to read. 

Message 64 of 147
ACE - Expert

@doodle0412 wrote:

I was there to get a phone with internet. I didn’t have that option as I stated before.  Maybe you need to learn to read. 

@doodle0412

I am trying to figure out why they would print out a contract in the first place as there is not one.  You have to read the terms of service ONLINE...  Its even on the receipt that way..  Once you started using the phone it means you agree to the terms of service and are bound by them...

Message 65 of 147
ACE - Expert

@doodle0412 wrote:

Basically, you're just making more excuses and tossing out an insult in hopes that it distracts me.

Your only "rationale" is that you didn't have a phone with internet, while in a store that sells internet-connected devices.

What about  "when you got home, or anytime during the month you were doubting it and keeping HughesNet just in case"?  

I did read that there was clearly some concern on your part, you kept your old internet just to make sure this worked. 

Are you telling me you had these concerns, but never thought to read the actual plan that you signed up for?

Message 66 of 147
ACE - Expert

Re: Attempting to distract from the question, AGAIN.

@GLIMMERMAN76 wrote:

@doodle0412 wrote:

@doodle0412

I am trying to figure out why they would print out a contract in the first place as there is not one.  You have to read the terms of service ONLINE...  Its even on the receipt that way..  Once you started using the phone it means you agree to the terms of service and are bound by them...

To be clear, I'm not suggesting that they should have taken time to look up a "contract" or the "terms of service". I suggested they could have read "the details for the plan" and they responding about printing contracts out (it's that problem reading that they were talking about!). 

I was suggesting that they take 60 seconds to have googled an advertisement that describes the hotspot portion of the plan (it's not even 2 sentences as they can two sentances ). 

They could do it in the store, at home, when they were deciding to keep HughesNet to make sure it worked. Just read the plan...

Message 67 of 147
Teacher

Re: Sudden hot spot throttling

I have the Unlimited Plus Multi Line with 2 hotspots and live in a very rural area. Neither hotspot has ever experienced a slow down and we use in excess of 400 gb per month as we have Directv Now. I checked my plan details and copied this from the document (it appears the 10gb limit does not apply to dedicated mobile hotspots, among other devices - see below - I assume that is what is meant by "aren't supported"):

High-speed mobile hotspot (10GB per device)

Available per device, per month. After 10GB, speed slows to 128Kbps. Connected cars, Hot Spots, and Wireless Home Phone & Internet devices aren’t supported.

Message 68 of 147
ACE - Expert

@lizzieinmd wrote:

I have the Unlimited Plus Multi Line with 2 hotspots and live in a very rural area. Neither hotspot has ever experienced a slow down and we use in excess of 400 gb per month as we have Directv Now. I checked my plan details and copied this from the document (it appears the 10gb limit does not apply to dedicated mobile hotspots, among other devices - see below - I assume that is what is meant by "aren't supported"):

Available per device, per month. After 10GB, speed slows to 128Kbps. Connected cars, Hot Spots, and Wireless Home Phone & Internet devices aren’t supported.

@lizzieinmd

The key is you have unlimited plus...  If you change plans you lose those unlimited hotspots...  Your grandfathered in at this point...  It says not supported because hotspots are not allowed on the new unlimited plans that were started after unlimited plus went away.

Message 69 of 147
ACE - Expert

@lizzieinmd wrote:

Do NOT ever give that plan up if you want the hotspot device. They took that feature away for people who were not on that type of plan yet (you get to keep it!).

Message 70 of 147
Mentor

I had AT&T Unlimited Plus One Line when they started slowing it down. One person would say it shouldn't be slowed another said it would be slowed. Somebody on this thread has said two different things. Well what is it does it slow or not.

Message 71 of 147
ACE - Sage

@doodle0412 wrote:

I had AT&T Unlimited Plus One Line when they started slowing it down. One person would say it shouldn't be slowed another said it would be slowed. Somebody on this thread has said two different things. Well what is it does it slow or not.

You are assured 22 gigs of full speed data.  After that your data might slow down temporarily if the tower is congested.  

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Message 72 of 147
Mentor

This is about he sudden hot spot throttling not the phone data.

Message 73 of 147
ACE - Expert

Re: Sudden ENFORCEMENT OF hot spot throttling

@doodle0412 wrote:

This is about he sudden hot spot throttling not the phone data.

The Unlimited Plan description when mentioning the hotspot, at least everywhere I've seen it, has clearly marked that there was a limit to the amount of hotspot (10GB or 15GB, depending on your plan) and when you hit the limit you'll slow down to (the unbearably slow speed of) 128Kbps.

While they have not been enforcing this limit, it seems clear the anyone feeing this SUDDEN throttling has been exceeding the limit, which might be why they started to enforce it.

If the mobile hotspot (sharing of phone data) has not started for someone YET, it should be kicking in soon.

Message 74 of 147
Teacher

Re: Sudden ENFORCEMENT OF hot spot throttling

I don't ever plan on giving up my current plan! What does bother me is that the description for the unlimited & more plans seems to be false advertising. When you look at the bullet points under each unlimited and more plan,  it reads you can stream all you want on your favorite device. So how are you going to do that without the ability to use a hotspot since the device must be connected to the internet?

Here it is (This is for the unlimited & more plan, which doesn't even allow hotspot usage):

• Get 30+ channels of live TV. See all channels

• Binge 15,000 movies & hit shows

• Play your entertainment in 480p DVD-quality

• Watch it all on your favorite device

• Stream all you want with no overage fees—ever

• Send unlimited texts to 120 countries

• Enjoy unlimited calls to Mexico & Canada, and free roaming while you’re there

Message 75 of 147
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Do you need to fix, replace or track a device? We Can Help With That!

Additional Support