Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Sudden hot spot throttling

Teacher

Sudden hot spot throttling

D373A2DF-866D-4288-A9A6-0A98C626A3F6.jpeg

72B599DC-F25E-42C2-B563-300149A501F2.jpeg

I’ve had the unlimited plan for a year now and live in a very rural area so have had no slow downs. We also use our hot spots for streaming. We’ve been doing this for a year now, consistently using over 400 gigs of data each month with like I said, no sow downs or throttling of any kind. Then all of a sudden on 6-17 we get a notice that we’re approaching hot spot limit and then bam now all our hot spots basically become useless after 10 gigs. What’s going on here? Is there like a one year limit? The cell service is still going strong so I don’t know why the hot spot is suddenly being throttled. When I look at my usage online it doesn’t even show anything about hot spot caps on any months until this one. I’m adding screenshots of my current month and my last month. Anyone know what’s going on?

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 147
Teacher

Re: Sudden hot spot throttling

If that's your plan you don't have enough HotSpot data to download much of anything.

Message 136 of 147
ACE - Expert

@Einsteinnot wrote:

I have the one line unlimited plus. 

I am at the beginning of the month so not a data issue.

Keep in mind, your data cycle may not start at the beginning of the month and does not match up with your billing cycle (or necessarily when your payment is taken).

For example, my data cycle is from the 22nd of the month to the 21st, my debit autopayment is taken on the 10th (and I think credit card payments are due sometime in between those dates). 

• Rember the Golden Rule: Treat others how you would like to be treated.
  • Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 137 of 147
Contributor

Yeah that’s funny how when they’re selling it now even when you been a customer for the past five years this is your new phone and need to give you the useless 128K bps which is absolutely useless and the 10 gigs is over your time is done can’t even  stream and even send email

looking for better treatment elsewhere

as prepaid carries the post paid segment

used to brag about how good my streaming was

boom bought a tv company and immeadiatly gave a free streaming package att uverse

to contract customers 

while prepaid gets the ability to stream cut off

after ten gigs

what a joke.   Sprint never caps you get 3g streaming on hotspot with no cap

Message 138 of 147
ACE - Expert

@Inventioneer wrote:

Yeah that’s funny how when they’re selling it now even when you been a customer for the past five years this is your new phone and need to give you the useless 128K bps which is absolutely useless and the 10 gigs is over your time is done can’t even  stream and even send email

That's the plan. You don't have to pick that plan.

Sprint never caps you get 3g streaming on hotspot with no cap

But it's Sprint. If you wanted Sprint, you wouldn't have been with AT&T all this time. 

• Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 139 of 147
Teacher

This was my first cell phone. The reason for talking with AT&T was they had been my landline company for years.

Message 140 of 147
ACE - Expert

@doodle0412 wrote:

This was my first cell phone. The reason for talking with AT&T was they had been my landline company for years.

It's not a reason to stay if they aren't meeting your needs.

Message 141 of 147
ACE - Sage

@Inventioneer wrote:

as prepaid carries the post paid segment

used to brag about how good my streaming was

boom bought a tv company and immeadiatly gave a free streaming package att uverse

to contract customers 

Nothing is ever free.  Att is a for profit company.  

while prepaid gets the ability to stream cut off

after ten gigs

Postpaid has a cut off too.  10 to 15 gigs depending on the plan. 

what a joke.   Sprint never caps you get 3g streaming on hotspot with no cap

Not true.  Sprint has a higher cap, and limits to 3g.   But it’s still capped.

So you a prepaid customer, go back to Sprint.

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Message 142 of 147
Contributor

Re: What is the name of the device that the hotspot is not working as unlimited?

For the person that KEEPS stating that to bad they didn’t get the dedicated hotspot while it was still offered 😂 you really need to STOP !!! The people in the stores are trained on how to pitch (LIE) to get a customer to switch and it is the same with talking to them. I have a dedicated hotspot on my Unlimited plan and I was sold this hotspot because I called to see if AT&T offered anything for home internet use because I also live in a rule area. I specified that this would be my internet for my whole home 2 computers, 2 game consoles, 3 TVs, My whole home DVRs through DirectTV, 3 iPads. I told them everything and they told me that I could by this dedicated hotspot and put it on my unlimited plan at ONLY $20 dollars extra a month and it could run everything. Guess what THEY LIED !!! After 4 months of it working great suddenly it starts getting Throttled and you can’t do anything!!! It’s was NOT supposed too slow down to anything less than 3g and it slows down too 2g and you can’t do anything!!! AT&T LIES to their customers constantly weather it be in person or on the phone. I have started making them text me what I’m supposed to get, also email it to me and when I DON’T get it and contact them with PROOF of what I was sold they just say sorry that wasn’t true 😡😡😡😡 I feel for all of you complaining, I to have been taken by them. Here’s another thing when I moved over to my plan I was supposed to get $25 off of my DirectTV bill and free HBO for as long as I had DirectTV and every month I called letting them know that I had NOT got my free HBO or My $25 and I would get the run around. 2 years into this they say O yea we see that you should have gotten it and we OWE you $465 ( I can’t remember the exact amount) but we are sorry we no longer offer that so we are not reimbursing you and we will not put it into effect on you DirectTV SORRY 😡😡😡 a bunch of f#&king LIERS that could care less about their customers. So STOP saying these people are wrong for how the feel because they should have read the contract, AT&T only goes by THEIR contracts when it suit them, but when a customer try’s to hold them to their contract all of a sudden Opps SORRY 😡😡😡😡

Message 143 of 147
ACE - Expert

Re: What is the name of the device that the hotspot is not working as unlimited?

/?@Hoop05 wrote:

After 4 months of it working great suddenly it starts getting Throttled and you can’t do anything!!! 

You're the first I've heard of this. Please check your plan for the exact name of your plan???

Since they stopped doing these hotspots over a year ago, I'm thinking this has been going on for a while.

What does it do when your cycle starts over, for the first 22GB??? Is it still slow???

It’s was NOT supposed too slow down to anything less than 3g and it slows down too 2g and you can’t do anything!!!

I've never seen AT&T publish a MINIMUM speed that you should be getting with any plan (maximum, yes).

Message 144 of 147
ACE - Sage

@Hoop05 

History:   February 2017 At&t introduces the Unlimited Plus and Choice plans.  It did allowed a dedicated hotspot until late 2017.  

February 2018 the plan was ‘grandfathered’ and replaced with the Unlimited Plus Enhanced plan.  This did not allow dedicate hot spot. 

If your account says ‘Unlimited Plus’ and was started prior to October 2017 with a dedicated hot spot, you would and should be allowed the full use of the product.  

Where in the above time line did you start service?  

When did At&t cut off the hotspot?

At&t has rural wireless internet service, which is not as cheap as $20, or as generous as unlimited.  

Wireless is generally not a replacement for home internet.  

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Message 145 of 147
ACE - Expert

@lizdance40 I think the announced no more hotspot in 2017 (with a November date?), but I don't think it actually happened until later. I'm >99% sure I still had the option when I switched to Plus in early 2018.

Message 146 of 147
ACE - Sage

@Gary L   Notices went out to existing customers in October that At&t was cutting off mini devices.  Then At&t changed its mind.  They may not have stopped new activations until end of March 2018. 

Message 147 of 147
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Do you need to fix, replace or track a device? We Can Help With That!

Additional Support