Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Sudden hot spot throttling

Teacher

Sudden hot spot throttling

D373A2DF-866D-4288-A9A6-0A98C626A3F6.jpeg

72B599DC-F25E-42C2-B563-300149A501F2.jpeg

I’ve had the unlimited plan for a year now and live in a very rural area so have had no slow downs. We also use our hot spots for streaming. We’ve been doing this for a year now, consistently using over 400 gigs of data each month with like I said, no sow downs or throttling of any kind. Then all of a sudden on 6-17 we get a notice that we’re approaching hot spot limit and then bam now all our hot spots basically become useless after 10 gigs. What’s going on here? Is there like a one year limit? The cell service is still going strong so I don’t know why the hot spot is suddenly being throttled. When I look at my usage online it doesn’t even show anything about hot spot caps on any months until this one. I’m adding screenshots of my current month and my last month. Anyone know what’s going on?

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 142
ACE - Expert

Re: Sudden hot spot throttling

@Mrsclark69 wrote:
I’ve been told by the local store reps that we never experience for congestion in my area (entire county population is under 10k), and I haven’t experienced it with my cell service at all, only hot spot.

Congestion MAY affect you after 22GB (called deprioritization). Anyone who says "never" about this is likely to be eventually wrong (but that is besides the point).

Obviously, you've been hitting this 22GB amount and it hasn't been an issue for you speed-wise, so I'd agree that deprioritization is generally not affecting your area in a very negative way.

According to your plan the HotSpot it's a hard slowdown at 10GB of 128kbps, it's not tied to congestion (FYI, 128kbps is way slower than I get when I'm actually slowed down after 22GB). Maybe they haven't been enforcing it, but that's what the plan says.

Then there is the combined issue:

Say you used 20GB on your phone and start using the hotspot, once your total crosses 22GB you could be facing deprioritization on that hotspot data (since it's tied into the total number). 

Left with no choice as my hotspot was the main reason I got the plan I'll be looking into other venues.

The plan says 10GB until it slows down, so that's unfortunate it's not working for you.

Previously you could have added the hotspot device for unlimited hotspoting (which they don't offer anymore).

• Rember the Golden Rule: Treat others how you would like to be treated.
  • Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 31 of 142
Tutor

I also live in a rural area and experienced this exact same issue. We purchased 4 phones with unlimited plans and when I spoke to the rep for AT&T I trusted that he gave me accurate information regarding the plan. I explicitly explained my requirements and walked away with what until now fit those requirements. I was offered the hotspot device when I started on the plan and was told that there was not a significant difference between the device and the phone, no mention of throttle speed differences. In fact, the way I understood it was that I'd have to add a line for the additional device and accompanying data for more high speed (4G) .

I've been using the hotspot for over a year and consistently went over the limit and my assumption was that the speed slowed to 3G like the rep said but never really checked because whatever the speed, it was sufficient for my needs. The way I see it is that AT&T at the executive level decided what the company would offer in this plan and failed miserably at the execution of it.

• Were the employees not trained well enough on the important details?
  • If AT&T did not restrict speed so drastically from the beginning then why not? Was it software, hardware, resources, something else? If your not ready to roll out the product as you represent in the contract then don't do it.
  • Should we have been informed via text (like they all of a sudden started doing) that we were on borrowed time with the service restriction not being enforced?

This is important because I would have known in the first week that I was misinformed and gone with a different option if and while it was offered. Another question is why are the stories behind this experience so similar? I suspect there are many more. I believe AT&T should at the very least offer a way to increase hotspot usage at a reasonable cost. Especially in rural areas where there are limited options. Currently there is no data plan or device that exists through AT&T to increase hotspot usage.

When this originally started to affect me last week I called the customer loyalty dept. at AT&T and was sold an "upgrade" to unlimited plus enhanced which according to that representative would guarantee me 4GLTE speeds and that if I reached my hotspot cap it would be throttled to 4G. I asked repeatedly if this was accurate and after more than an hour of transfers, different reps and hold time I was told "YES" speed will only be reduced to 4G upon hitting my hotspot cap not data. I even asked the rep to send me a text to confirm it which he did! So imagine my frustration when I got a warning again about being throttled to 128k. 128k? That's less than slow even for the dial up days!

Okay, one last piece to this little outburst of mine. I've got teenagers and I can tell you without a doubt that they use way more data then I do. On our phones we could literally sit around watching different shows, at great speed, all day long, consuming huge amounts of data and this would be okay! Why then is it such a problem when I want to connect my workstation to the phone? It's definitely not network "congestion because of fewer antennas in rural areas", it seems obvious that hotspot caps serve one purpose: Restrict hotspot data on phone plans in order to facilitate selling a WiFi connection, I get it... it's business. However AT&T, if you don't offer WiFi in certain rural areas, you have the ability to and should offer a solution!

Also, It's annoying to suggest that these types of failures fall on those affected because they didn't "read the contract"! It's cliche, a cop out and utter nonsense! Written word is so open to misinterpretation that you need a degree to write and in many cases understand contracts. Even through the legal jargon and verbosity of them, they are still inefficient and constantly being revised because maybe something was not clear or vague enough. I understand reading the contract is important when the stakes are high enough and in those cases I want an attorney present. However skimming the contract is something I do all of the time and in those cases I choose to trust the representative of that contract to translate the details. Otherwise, give me a break! I wouldn't get anything done! Every device, operating system, software, hardware, website, product, service etc has a contract! Who reads and understands all of the fine print and details of them?

Message 32 of 142
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by (Former Employee)
Accepted by beckyww
‎07-10-2018 12:34 PM

Re: It's not "FINE PRINT"

@DC_Quincy wrote:

Who reads and understands all of the fine print and details of them?

People who want to know what they are paying for and people who want to prevent issues like this from occurring.

It's not like you need to dig to find the details, it's right in the main bullet points.

Screen Shot 2017-03-02 at 7.21.18 AM.png

IMG_1288.JPG

I trusted that he gave me accurate information regarding the plan

But if they make a mistake, you're on the hook since it's the plan you signed up for (and you don't have any of those incorrect details written in your plan).

So imagine my frustration when I got a warning again about being throttled to 128k. 128k? That's less than slow even for the dial up days!

It's miserably slow. I wish they'd just turn it off. FYI, I'm thinking that's 2g speeds (not 3g).

However AT&T, if you don't offer WiFi in certain rural areas, you have the ability to and should offer a solution!

It's not AT&T's responsibility to offer everyone an internet solution. (Sorry!).

They actually do have several rural solutions. And a lot of people got a hotspot, I'm sorry you didn't get one.

Until last year, they haven't offered hotspot on unlimited. 10GB is actually quite a bit and 15GB even more so, it's not like you're cut off from civilization and information (if you're not streaming video or music 10GB goes a LONG way).

Currently there is no data plan or device that exists through AT&T to increase hotspot usage.

Sure there is. But you pay for a fixed amount. You can get a 50GB plan, but you pay.

They've had some rural 250GB and 500GB plans (not sure if they are still doing those) and they're working on some fixed antenna wireless plans too.

• Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 33 of 142
Tutor

Re: It's not "FINE PRINT"

@

Message 34 of 142
Highlighted
ACE - Expert

Re: Fixed home wireless info

@DC_Quincy wrote:

@

Yes, you spent a bunch of time talking about misinterpretation, but it seems pretty clear. And long paragraph about things being clear.

And then you asked:

Who reads and understands all of the fine print and details of them?

Sorry, but the obvious answer seemed to be that you don't.

Not that I remember seeing any of their sales or marketing materials but interestingly enough the first graphic you show mentions the restriction but wait, it uses a much smaller font that is also not bold like the rest and is even given a subdued color... I'd call that fine print!

So are you saying that IF you had read it you would not have understood it and chosen to not read it?

You write very nicely and compose your thoughts quite well, but you ended that whole post with who reads it, and it seems clear that you KNOW that YOU should read it.

On the first image (#13) it's not any smaller than the pricing. 

On the second image they bullet the main points and add more details smaller underneath, I do this with powerpoint with my 2nd graders at school and they "get it" just fine.  If you want to argue there that you think this is what's mean by "read the fine print" and that there is difficulty with these details (no footnote and no smaller print to go find and read through), then I'll pass. 

I'm really thinking you're smart enough to have read this and understood it, if you read it.

You're absolutely right if they make a "mistake" I may be on the hook. Just like when I order a meal at a restaurant... I may get food poising so should I ask to inspect the kitchen? Shouldn't I be able to take some things on faith?

It's a nice case you make, but we know that's not the case for this (hindsight and all).

But if you want to stick with it: People DO get food poisoning, mistakes are made all the time.

I'd guess about three out of five times I order a burger with no pickle and no mustard that I get it the wrong way (and it's not that is as complicated as a cell phone plan!).

It's rectified quickly. But if I was getting a two year contract for my burgers, I'd check that contract a few different ways before committing to it.

They used to have a WHPI plan (Wireless Home Phone Internet) but I'm not sure who/how they sold it or if they still have it, I haven't paid attention much since the hotspot on unlimited was a better value. They had really jumped the limits up (50GB to 500GB) for a while there.

Here is the AT&T Fixed home wireless info https://www.att.com/cellphones/att/att-wireless-internet.html

Check out some of the RV blogs as a lot of them do various things to get mobile internet since they're not static and often rural. I've found some interesting posts there.

Message 35 of 142
Tutor

I've said what I needed to and I'm done! If I find a solution I'll post back in case it helps someone else.

Message 36 of 142
ACE - Expert

@DC_Quincy wrote:

I've said what I needed to and I'm done! If I find a solution I'll post back in case it helps someone else.

But did you see the last sentence?

I'm not opposed to spending money on what I want, please point me to the plan!

Here is the AT&T Fixed home wireless info https://www.att.com/cellphones/att/att-wireless-internet.html

Message 37 of 142
Tutor

Regarding the link provided by @Gary L, the service is not available in my area.

@Gary L wrote:

If it was available, the current rates that I've been given were:

$199 for the device or 10$ per month for 20 months

$70 per mo for 50GB service

$110 per mo for 100GB service

Overages on these plans are $15 for every additional 1GB or throttle to 128k.

No other options exist at this point. According to the sales rep, the 250GB and 500GB plans were only available for a short time in the mid west market and are no longer an option.

Message 38 of 142
Contributor

Do you mind me asking what you decided, or what ATT has done since late last month? I got a warning text today that said that I have used 7.5GB and that I have to make 2.5GB last 23 more days. I too live in a rural area and all we have access to is satellite. I use my comp for school through the V.A., so I have no idea how I'm going to cross this bridge. 

Message 39 of 142
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ldrldr att has started enforcing the 10 gb hotspot policy that comes with your plan comes with 

Message 40 of 142
ACE - Sage

@ldrldr

If you need to use cellular for home internet, you need to purchase a fixed amount of data.   ATT does not intend unlimited cell data to be a cheap substitute for home internet.  

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Message 41 of 142
ACE - Expert

@ldrldr wrote:

I got a warning text today that said that I have used 7.5GB and that I have to make 2.5GB last 23 more days.

Your plan only includes 10GB of hotspot from your phone. It's been that way since day one. 

Do you mind me asking what you decided, or what ATT has done since late last month?

I'm guessing they realized people were using WAY more than they were supposed to and started to enforce it.

I too live in a rural area and all we have access to is satellite. I use my comp for school through the V.A., so I have no idea how I'm going to cross this bridge. 

Unfortunately, until a few months ago, you could have added a hotspot device to your plan that was unlimited, but that option is gone.

Message 42 of 142
Contributor

I don’t know what y’all are talking about with the “it’s in the contract stuff.”

the guys who who write the contracts aren’t the same ones the sales floor persons report to. That’s just a manager who wants a quota. I digress.

I signed on to business Premiere (15 yrs ago...),,,, unlimited, in Jan with the SPECIFIC pitch, 2x, 2 different months, different salespersons, same store, that I could use my hotspot for home WiFi/mifi,,  (as I had been, and getting billed for overages on a 20gig shared plan that hadn’t been offered in months....I digress again). I got the 22 gig texts every month since Jan. My daughter’s phone has been tethering the house since (yes reset on iphone I have ss’s) Mar 30th and has 1.4 gig of TETHERING Right now. 

But now apps are working slow on my phone, can’t even read the weather, upload a snap or Instagram haha. But what the heck. I’ve been with them over 15 years, with 15 lines, since they were Cingular.  

I dont care care what the supply/demand, or contract side if it is. That’s NO way to treat a customer. NO way to do business, especially with a business customer who travels and relies on this. Especially when my Netflix off of my daughter’s phone at home (it’s taken away the last few mos) (my 10 gig tethering ran our 1.5 days ago), just stopped on my firestick, and I don’t care if it might be on the contract.  

IT WAS IN THE PITCH!!!!!!......2x!!!!.....in person!!!!!...... AND NOT FROM A RESELLER a LEGIT ATT store. 

ATT Lancaster, PA on either Lincoln Highway, or Old Phila Pike. BOTH Adam, or Randy. Both told me the same thing. 

Also so told me they NEVER DO and ARENT allowed, to speak to corporate. 

J. 

SE PA

Message 43 of 142
Anonymous
Not applicable

"I don’t care if it might be on the contract. "

@Shoodbincowboy

If you cared about what you were signing and read what your plan entailed you wouldn't be dealing with this. As somebody in business it looks like you would know that written agreements will ALWAYS win out over verbal ones. The plan has always had 10 gb of hotspot, and no store level employee is going to be able to override AT&T's policy on the plan. 

Message 44 of 142
ACE - Expert

@Shoodbincowboy wrote:

I don’t know what y’all are talking about with the “it’s in the contract stuff.”

Technically it's just the plan.  It's not buried in the details at all.

You do NOT have a contract. You have no commitment to staying with AT&T. 

As you have no contract, AT&T can change the terms at any time.

They did NOT change the terms, they're just enforcing the terms. 

I dont care care what the supply/demand, or contract side if it is. That’s NO way to treat a customer.

You're only supposed to have 10GB of hotspot, you have been using too much.

They're not treating you wrong at all.

Do I wish I could keep unlimited on my phone's hotspot? YES! But that's not the plan, so I won't have that...

Message 45 of 142
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Do you need to fix, replace or track a device? We Can Help With That!

Additional Support