Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Re: Sudden hot spot throttling

Teacher

Sudden hot spot throttling

D373A2DF-866D-4288-A9A6-0A98C626A3F6.jpeg

72B599DC-F25E-42C2-B563-300149A501F2.jpeg

I’ve had the unlimited plan for a year now and live in a very rural area so have had no slow downs. We also use our hot spots for streaming. We’ve been doing this for a year now, consistently using over 400 gigs of data each month with like I said, no sow downs or throttling of any kind. Then all of a sudden on 6-17 we get a notice that we’re approaching hot spot limit and then bam now all our hot spots basically become useless after 10 gigs. What’s going on here? Is there like a one year limit? The cell service is still going strong so I don’t know why the hot spot is suddenly being throttled. When I look at my usage online it doesn’t even show anything about hot spot caps on any months until this one. I’m adding screenshots of my current month and my last month. Anyone know what’s going on?

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 147
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you are talking about the hotspot on the devices, there has always been a 10 gb limit. It just wasnt enforced until now. Dedicated hotspots are a different matter though. 

Message 2 of 147
Highlighted
ACE - Expert

@Mrsclark69 wrote:

I’ve had the unlimited plan for a year now and live in a very rural area so have had no slow downs. We also use our hot spots for streaming. We’ve been doing this for a year now, consistently using over 400 gigs of data each month with like I said, no sow downs or throttling of any kind. Then all of a sudden on 6-17 we get a notice that we’re approaching hot spot limit and then bam now all our hot spots basically become useless after 10 gigs. What’s going on here? The cell service is still going strong so I don’t know why the hot spot is suddenly being throttled. 

That has always been what the account has advertised, 10GB hotspot limit before it superslows (to unusable IMHO).

They've just gotten around to actually implementing the requirement.

• Rember the Golden Rule: Treat others how you would like to be treated.
  • Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 147
Teacher

Really? They can do that? Seems shady to me. Also kinda weird that it happened almost EXACTLY one year after we started the plan?
Message 4 of 147
Teacher

What’s a dedicated hot spot? I mean I can guess what it is, but I had never heard of one before I started googling this issue. I’ve heard a few people say that it can’t be included in the unlimited plan anymore. What can you tell me about it? Thanks!
Message 5 of 147
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Mrsclark69 They can enforce the plan you agreed to? Yes and its not shady at all. You got lucky to not have it enforced. 

Message 6 of 147
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Mrsclark69 a dedicated hotspot was a device that was a hotspot by itself. Not a phone. they had unlimited as the phones do. But you no longer can make them unlimited as of a couple of months ago

Message 7 of 147
ACE - Expert

@Mrsclark69 wrote:
Really? They can do that? 

Why not? They should be able to enforce the requirements of the plan, right?

Also kinda weird that it happened almost EXACTLY one year after we started the plan?

The people who signed up before you and after you are having it happen too, I just got that plan 3 months ago, it's probably happening to me too. (And even if they did start enforcing EXACTLY one year later, I'm not sure what that matters?!?)

Seems shady to me.

How is it shady? It's been part of your plan since day one.

You've been overusing it according to your agreement. (and that's not shady?)

• Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 8 of 147
Teacher

They told me it would be limited only if there was high congestion, which we don’t EVER have. Cell use is fine, hot spots are suddenly out of the blue being limited. Yeah, that feels shady to me.
Message 9 of 147
Teacher

Ahhhhh and now it makes sense. So now that they have decided to start limiting people’s hotspots, you can no longer have a dedicated hot spot on your plan which would actually solve this problem. Wow. Thanks a lot AT&T.
Message 10 of 147
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by ACE - Expert (ACE - Expert)
Accepted by Gary L
‎06-24-2018 11:03 AM

@Mrsclark69 wrote:
They told me it would be limited only if there was high congestion, which we don’t EVER have.

I see where you are confused. The 22GB deprioritization slowdown only occurs if there is high congestion (and in general probably is not as slow as 128kbps).

The 10GB hotspot slowdown is to 128kbs and has nothing to do with congestion.

Cell use is fine, hot spots are suddenly out of the blue being limited. Yeah, that feels shady to me.

Got it. But they are limiting now, but it's always supposed to have been limited, they've just never flipped the switch. You've gotten way more for your first year. Nothing shady going on with your plan.

Tags (1)
Message 11 of 147
Teacher

I was told the hotspot would only be limited if the area was congested. Since we moved rural it was a non issue. To give someone a great service for a year and then suddenly change things feels shady, yes.

Also to find out that they had some sort of dedicated hot spot device we could have had on this plan that they decided to remove as an option and THEN start limiting people’s hot spot. DEFINITELY shady.

If my hot spot was “supposed” to be limited from day one, and it actually had been, I would have found out about and signed up for a dedicated hot spot immediately. Now apparently I’m just screwed.
Message 12 of 147
ACE - Expert

This info is from when the Unlimited Plus plan first came out. The 10GB hotspot limit is not new.

IMG_1288.JPG

IMG_1287.PNG

Message 13 of 147
Anonymous
Not applicable

The plan has been advertised with 10 gb of hotspot since day one. The hotspot part has never been advertised as under congestion only. I still dont see how its shady to give you 10 gb of hotspot on a plan that you agreed to that has 10 gb of hotspot. 

https://bgr.com/2017/02/27/att-unlimited-plan-hotspot-new-plans-details/

This is from when those plans launched, and they are talking about the 10 gb of hotspot. You agreed to it, and giving you what you agreed to is not shady. 

Message 14 of 147
ACE - Expert

@Mrsclark69 wrote:
Ahhhhh and now it makes sense. So now that they have decided to start limiting people’s hotspots, you can no longer have a dedicated hot spot on your plan which would actually solve this problem. Wow. Thanks a lot AT&T.

So you knew they had hotspots for that purpose and you didn't get one before they stopped letting people add that the option?

Sorry.  

Message 15 of 147
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Do you need to fix, replace or track a device? We Can Help With That!

Additional Support