Need your talk or text logs?
WEBULLS's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Monday, December 25th, 2017 1:43 AM

Can I stream without using cellular data?

I got a message a while ago saying that you were going to start being able to start streaming Netflix and ect (under certain pixel) without using cellular data. Did this become a thing? Is it still going on?

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

6 years ago

No one dismissed your answer. You are the first I have ever seen claim to get data free with the HBO Go app. ATT’s own data free support articles still state data free is only through the Directv, DirectvNow and UVerse apps. Nowhere can I find any statement that the HBO Go app is data free. I’m just looking for confirmation. Not sure why you are taking offense.

Guru

• 

467 Messages

6 years ago

@sandblaster

Nobody dismissed my answer?!  Really?!  So above where it states in big bold letters “Not True” is not a dismissal?  And then further asking for “proof” of it not counting towards my data, and you don’t know why I took offense?!  Have you read every single written question and answer on this forum?  I doubt it.  Another person actually asked about HBO Go specifically being data free and an actual AT&T agent stated yes, but data saver needed to be active. 

The actual AT&T website states this in multiple places, but in more legalize.  Of course, there are all kinds of caveats to all of the data free streaming, such as the data free may not apply towards commercials, searches and guides, etc.  I don’t know if this is new, but I did my research and read ALL of the restrictions, details, guidelines, etc. before purchasing.  If you wanted further explanation, then maybe you should open your own question where, in my opinion, would be more considerate and appropriate, then you can ask where that information is in a more appropriate manner.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

6 years ago

@Paranotary I know you don’t believe me but I can find no corroborating evidence that the HBO Go app is data free. All I find are threads like this one that reiterate that only Directv, DirectvNow and UVerse apps are data free. https://forums.att.com/t5/DIRECTV-NOW-Installation/Does-HBO-GO-use-count-against-my-data/td-p/5119421. If there has been a change and that app is now data free, I wasn’t aware of it but nothing you have posted proves it, at least not that I see. If I am missing the proof, please point it out. I posted what I believe to be true, just like you did. I’ll gladly admit to being wrong when I see proof.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

6 years ago

@Paranotary wrote:

@lizdance40  I would NEVER post anything that isn’t true.

“streaming HBO on this plan doesn’t count against the data cap, a practice known as zero rating.”

This was in a section in an advertising for the Unlimited Plans which receive free HBO.  I use HBO GO constantly and since I have it through this plan it does NOT count toward my data allowance.

@Paranotary

Streaming HBO through the ATT apps, Direct TV, DirecTV NOW, Uverse is data free.  I see nothing anywhere about HBO Go being data free.

Guru

• 

467 Messages

6 years ago

@lizdance40

You are misinterpreting the meaning of what you are reading.  I haven’t seen anything that states you have to watch HBO through AT&T apps, it doesn’t mean that you haven’t in the past or it’s how it worked before.  All I know is you have to activate HBO through an AT&T service, not watch through it.  In other words, if you don’t have DTV or U-Verse, then you have to activate through Directv Now.  If I had another carrier where I also had HBO Go, if I used that other service’s profile (activated it through that service), then it would not be data free, even if I also had it through AT&T wireless.  You would have to activate it through Directv Now and watch through that profile, not watch through that service.  As I stated, I only use HBO Go and my data is never deducted for HBO Go on any of my 4 lines.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

6 years ago

@Paranotary wrote:

@lizdance40

You are misinterpreting the meaning of what you are reading.  I haven’t seen anything that states you have to watch HBO through AT&T apps, it doesn’t mean that you haven’t in the past or it’s how it worked before.  All I know is you have to activate HBO through an AT&T service, not watch through it.  In other words, if you don’t have DTV or U-Verse, then you have to activate through Directv Now.  If I had another carrier where I also had HBO Go, if I used that other service’s profile (activated it through that service), then it would not be data free, even if I also had it through AT&T wireless.  You would have to activate it through Directv Now and watch through that profile, not watch through that service.  As I stated, I only use HBO Go and my data is never deducted for HBO Go on any of my 4 lines.

@Paranotary No one is misinterpreting anything, we understand how one signs up for the service. It all boils down to your last sentence. You are the only person to have ever said the HBO Go app did not count against your data. So, simple question. Do you say that because someone at ATT told you that or because you have looked at your usage statistics and verified it? That’s all we are asking for is verification. You don’t have to post proof (unless you want to because we would love to see it), just confirm you have looked at your usage stats and confirmed it and remember, streaming when on WiFi doesn’t count. 

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

6 years ago

Simply put, ATT has stated that only data used through their own apps are data free (about 95%) 

And have started that HBO Go does not stream data free.  

https://www.att.com/esupport/article.html#!/wireless/KM1131836

https://help.directvnow.com/hc/en-us/articles/212914066-Will-AT-T-Wireless-subscribers-incur-data-usage-with-DIRECTV-NOW-

D5B8F580-ED59-4719-959C-EA06FF43EB30.jpeg

1 Attachment

Guru

• 

467 Messages

6 years ago

@lizdance40

First, I am letting you know, in advance, that this is the last comment I will be making about this particular issue in this particular thread....as you have previously stated in other posts this has gotten “off topic”.

As I have stated previously, I am NOT the only person to ever have said what I have stated in this forum.  At least one actual AT&T agent has stated such, in a different thread, but also stated that stream saver had to be on.  I don’t know how accurate that is, as I have not tested that particular issue myself.  What’s on the AT&T website could be interpreted as such.  

I do not purchase anything blindly.  Nor do I purchase anything without fully researching, reading every word, and having several sources to cite, in case it doesn’t pan out the way I believe , or was told, it should.  Due to my profession, I understand that people misinterpret, misunderstands and some flat out lie to get you to buy things.  Also, especially with technology, things change rapidly and all are not fully aware of these changes all of the time.  Even after I purchase, I put it to the test, read every line and question every number, to make double sure that everything is in sync and working as I think it should.  In this case, everything has.

Take your articles for example, they contradict each other.  No where, did I see, the Directv Now article mention HBO Go and the wireless deal.  The other article states that ONLY  2 AT&T apps are data free, but you know that isn’t accurate any longer.  As your counterpart has previously pointed out, HBO Go is not data free for everyone, and I agree that is accurate, so putting it in a data free article would be confusing and possibly misleading.

For future reference, if you had handled yourself differently, this would have been a much different outcome.  I have been teaching individuals about fine print, guidelines, and such for so long, that I actually enjoy educating and helping people the business world.  That’s why I was on this forum to begin with.  If I disagree with someone’s answer, I would simply state that I wasn’t in full agreement and why.  I wouldn’t recap that person’s statement and state ugly things on it.  There was at least one other post that you commented after me, and you weren’t accurate in that one either, but I didn’t feel the need to post where you were wrong.  I said my piece, you said yours, it’s up to customer to decide.  I am not here to be ugly to someone I don’t know.  I do wonder what your motives are.

I will repeat what I said previously.  If you want information or want “proof”, then maybe you should post the question and ask in a more grown up manner.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

6 years ago

In other words, you have not actually verified what you were told. Fine. No, this is not something where there are differences of opinion. The HBO Go app is either data free or it isn’t.  There are no opinions here. Believe it or not, I just want to get the answer right so that I give others the correct answer. Same thing for @lizdance40. You don’t have to believe us or ATT, you have the ability to prove or disprove whether the HBO Go app is really data free. Why you don’t want to do that, I don’t understand. I would but I don’t have an unlimited plan or free HBO. I also don’t understand your reaction to all this. 

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

6 years ago

@Paranotary

I included 2 links with my previous post, the first with U-verse and DirectTV, the second with DirecTV NOW,  as DirecTV NOW is sold as a separate, prepaid product.  A 4th product, Fullscreen was also offered free for early adopters to DirecTV NOW for the first year.  

We repeat what can be supported with facts and printed website material.  It’s irresponsible to tell other customers something is data free with out a Support article or other evidence.  Especially when we have been told otherwise more than once.

You allude to other threads with contrary information, which you can post a link to here.  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.