Need your talk or text logs?
WEBULLS's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Monday, December 25th, 2017 1:43 AM

Can I stream without using cellular data?

I got a message a while ago saying that you were going to start being able to start streaming Netflix and ect (under certain pixel) without using cellular data. Did this become a thing? Is it still going on?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

6 years ago

Netflix is not data free. HBO Go is not data free. Only streaming through the Directv or DirectvNow apps is data free. StreamSaver reduces the amount of data used when watching video, it does not eliminate data usage.

Guru

• 

467 Messages

6 years ago

From what I understand, you have to enable stream saver on you wireless devices and then as long as you subscribe, the available apps that don’t count towards your data allowance are Directv Now and U-Verse.  I never heard anything about Netflix with AT&T.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

Stream saver would be already on my phone?

Guru

• 

467 Messages

6 years ago

It should be.  You can check it by:

How to turn Stream Saver off and on for each device
To manage Stream Saver from myAT&T
Go to Usage.
Select Manage my data usage in the Usage options section below the graph.
Toggle Stream Saver Off or On for the device you want to manage.
Select Save.
Wait five minutes and restart the device that was updated.

Guru

• 

467 Messages

6 years ago

If you received the free HBO Go with your wireless service, that’s another app that doesn’t count towards your data allowance. 

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

6 years ago

@Paranotary wrote:

If you received the free HBO Go with your wireless service, that’s another app that doesn’t count towards your data allowance. 

NOT TRUE!   

Sponsored data is only offered on ATT apps, U-verse, DirecTV, DirecTV Now and Fullscreen.   HBO Go is not data free.  

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

6 years ago

@WEBULLS wrote:

I got a message a while ago saying that you were going to start being able to start streaming Netflix and ect (under certain pixel) without using cellular data. Did this become a thing? Is it still going on?

Netflix is not data free.  Only data used through one of ATT’s apps is data free.  Stream saver reduces the stream rate, which saves data, but is NOT data free.

Guru

• 

467 Messages

6 years ago

@lizdance40  I would NEVER post anything that isn’t true.

“streaming HBO on this plan doesn’t count against the data cap, a practice known as zero rating.”

This was in a section in an advertising for the Unlimited Plans which receive free HBO.  I use HBO GO constantly and since I have it through this plan it does NOT count toward my data allowance.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

6 years ago

@Paranotary HBO Go should not be data free or perhaps it is more accurate to say it is not data free for everyone. It may be data free for those with an unlimited plan but I am pretty sure it is not data fee for anyone not on an unlimited plan. Also, you can watch HBO programming through the Directv and DirectvNow apps, I thought you had to use one of those apps to be data free. Can you provide proof your HBO Go streaming is not using data?

Guru

• 

467 Messages

6 years ago

@sandblaster

Yes, HBO GO is not “data free” for everyone, that’s why I said “If you received the free HBO Go with your wireless service“.  You have to have your HBO GO through one of the Unlimited Plans and then register through either Directv Now, DTV or U-Verse, you have 90 days to activate, etc.....I didn’t feel the need to go through every single caveat because that wasn’t the question.

You should have stopped your response there, to go on and ask for “proof” of anything is unprofessional and sophomoric.  How would I....or better question....why should I have to prove anything to you.  I might be new to this forum, but I believed it to be a community to help fellow customers answer questions that they may have....not deface their postings with inaccurate statements such as “NOT TRUE”, or being petty and asking for proof when your own statements are not entirely accurate.  Things change fast and often, nobody is ever going to have all of the answers all of the time, but to try to shame and belittle someone trying to help confuses things even more and encourages negative behavior.  Please try and do your own research, like I did, before dismissing someone else’s answer.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.