Need your talk or text logs?
DBChas's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Wednesday, May 24th, 2017 11:05 PM

Streaming

The plan I've chosen allows for purchase of data up to 250 MB for $5 more. The plan states clearly that streaming will be turned on by default even if it was previously turned off. I'm new to this plan, having come over from a simple plan whereby I paid $25 for refills and was charged $1 per day for usage plus cost per minute. The $25 was good for 3 months, but I found that I was refilling far more often than that, which prompted me to change to a different (monthly) plan.

AT&T indicates that the average film, for instance, is about 1.5 GB at standard def. But, as stated, my $5 gets me only 25 MB of data per month--if, that is, I pay the $5. Well, 250 MB is not 1.5 GB. If I wanted to stream a film, how would that work? I can't find anywhere here information regarding this problem. I presume I'd be charged for over-usage of data were I to stream a film, given that 1.5 GB is substantially more than the 250 MB I can purchase for $5.

I'm not at all clear on how this is supposed to work. Can anyone clarify? If you see what I mean?

Thanks to any who can help.

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

7 years ago

On this plan when you use up the 250, you have no more data service.  If you want to stream over cellular, this isn't the plan for you.  The $45 plan provides 6 gigs of data, the $65 plan is unlimited.  

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

7 years ago

Once you use up your 250mb, I believe your data simply stops. To continue using any data, you would need to purchase another 250mb. At that rate of $5 for each 250mb, you would spend $30 buying enough data to stream that 1.5GB movie. You would be much better off to switch to the $45 plan ($40 with autopay). That plan includes 6 GB of data.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

As Chief Brody said, "You're gonna need a bigger boat plan."

@DBChas IMHO, you'd be better off with Amazon Prime or Netflix, and download a few movies on WiFi and watch them on the go.

But I don't really know what kind of video you're trying to watch. 

Or check out a postpaid plan and use DirecTV Now and the data streaming from a Mobile App which does NOT count against your plan. 

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

I HOPE I don't get "Oops. your message didn't post" yet again. That's what happened earlier and as I don't trust any overly large business, such as AT&T, I seriously doubt there was any sort of problem posting so much as my post was blocked as I complain about AT&T's plans and policies. That is, there was no "Oops..."

I'm trying again for the last time, while about to go off to T-Mobile. AT&T has proven particularly stingy with respect to accessing the Internet in general.

As I was saying, those ideas are good ones, at least to the degree I understand them. Would I still not be downloading to an AT&T phone? So, not sure I get what you're suggesting I do.

I'm not even bent on watching movies, but would like to know how that can be done when my plan offers up only 250 MB of data access,presumably before charging my pre-paid account even more. I have to keep an eye on that to make sure AT&T doesn't start dipping, which they've done before with various fees and whatnot all unbeknownst to me until after the fact.

I have Netflix on my desk-top computer. (Content has gotten pretty bad.)

Anyway, just wondering if anyone can answer my direct question regarding data usage.

Thanks to respondents, as I much appreciate your time and effort  with suggesting work-arounds.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@DBChas wrote:

I HOPE I don't get "Oops. your message didn't post" yet again. That's what happened earlier and as I don't trust any overly large business, such as AT&T, I seriously doubt there was any sort of problem posting so much as my post was blocked as I complain about AT&T's plans and policies. That is, there was no "Oops..."

I have that problem all the time and I don't fell like they are blocking me. I'm sure there is another movie quote about paranoia I could dig up for you?

I like hitting the reply/quote button as it tends to save drafts for you so that if it does hang up, you can get back to the draft and in ANY messaging system, I always try to do a select all and copy before hitting submit...

As I was saying, those ideas are good ones, at least to the degree I understand them. Would I still not be downloading to an AT&T phone? So, not sure I get what you're suggesting I do.

While on WiFi you'd download the whole movie to your phone, so you aren't using cellular data.

Home/work/cafe WiFi data is generally WAY cheaper, especially if you already have it.

I'm not even bent on watching movies, but would like to know how that can be done when my plan offers up only 250 MB of data access,presumably before charging my pre-paid account even more. I have to keep an eye on that to make sure AT&T doesn't start dipping, which they've done before with various fees and whatnot all unbeknownst to me until after the fact.

You are choosing to have a plan that doesn't have enough data to stream a reasonable amount of data.

Don't blame AT&T for you going over in these cases. It is an insufficient plan for that. It's barely a plan.

250MB is a casual pay as you go rate. If you really want to be using data for quantities of video, you need a different plan.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone can answer my direct question regarding data usage.

Getting a different plan IS the answer. Sorry.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.