Need your talk or text logs?
cottonflash's profile

Teacher

• 

29 Messages

Sunday, January 1st, 2012 5:09 PM

Smart hone on feature phone plan

I am currently using a Freestyle with unlimited data. I have a samsung smart phone that would like to use but don't want to switch to internet plan. Can I use a smart phone without switching plans or turning off my internet access?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

12 years ago

You could if you wanted to, but a smartphone data plan would automatically be added to your line because you are no longer using a feature phone. You would be looking at a $15-$25 increase on your bill every month (depending on which data plan you choose) if you want to use your smartphone instead.

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

12 years ago

If you switched from your Freestyle to your Samsung smartphone, you would not be able to keep your feature phone Unlimited Data plan. You would have to choose between a smartphone plan valued at $15 and $25 per month.

Teacher

• 

29 Messages

12 years ago

I canNOT simply take my sim card and put it in a smartphone? What are the consequences of doing it?

Teacher

• 

29 Messages

12 years ago

Thanks

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

12 years ago

You're welcome!

Mentor

• 

64 Messages

12 years ago

I went through this with support.  You have to have data with a smart phone.

Chat InformationPlease wait for a chat representative to respond.

Chat InformationYou are now chatting with 'Derek {Personal content removed}'

Derek {Personal content removed}: You want to know if the sales department has a chat, is this correct?

: Yes??

Derek {Personal content}: At this time our sales department does not have a online chat.

: a phone number perhaps then and how late are they open??

Derek {Personal content removed}: Are you looking to start a new service or upgrade a phone?

: upgrade but not sure

Derek {Personal content removed}: You are able to upgrade the phone using the online account manager.

: Yes not sure which one to get. One that has wifi but no data plan. Hopefully a non smart phone with wifi.

Derek {Personal content removed}: I will look into this for you, I do think the only phones that have wifi are the smart phones that require a data plan.

: Even if I buy a non branded att phone

Derek{Personal content removed}: Even with a non branded phone if the system picked it up as a smart phone it would put a data plan on the service.

: So how would I know which ones are smart and which are not??

Derek {Personal content removed}: with our phones or a unlocked phone?

: But an unlocled (iphone) for example would still be a smart phone woouldn't it.

Derek {Personal content removed}: An unlocked iphone would need to have a data plan for it to work, I it is very hard to find a unlocked iphone

: Would Motorola EX119 be considered smart??

Derek {Personal content removed}: Usually the best way to tell if a phone is a smart phone it will usualy have 1 of 4 operating system, these would be android, blackberry , windows, or the iphone

: I'll look into this thanks.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.