SSH?

Tutor

SSH?

I'm more interested in the PDA/Smartphone data plan, but there doesn't seem to be a sub-forum for that. This is the closest I could find, and I'm hoping someone might know the answer here since the terms & conditions have the same language for both.

Can I use an SSH client with any sort of AT&T data plan? They all say they're restricted to "internet browsing", "email", and "intranet access". I could see SSH conceivably being covered as intranet access, but there's no real definition given.

If there is a more appropriate forum for this question, please move this or direct me to it. Thanks.
Message 1 of 5
ACE - Expert

Re: SSH?

gohanman wrote:
I'm more interested in the PDA/Smartphone data plan, but there doesn't seem to be a sub-forum for that. This is the closest I could find, and I'm hoping someone might know the answer here since the terms & conditions have the same language for both.

Can I use an SSH client with any sort of AT&T data plan? They all say they're restricted to "internet browsing", "email", and "intranet access". I could see SSH conceivably being covered as intranet access, but there's no real definition given.

If there is a more appropriate forum for this question, please move this or direct me to it. Thanks.

SSH, then pine/mail/etc. there's your email access Smiley Happy Seriously, I can't see why SSH client use would be prohibited what the T&C is designed to guard against is things like hosting and such. I wouldn't run an SSH server but a client should be fine.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 5
Tutor

Thanks. I kind of figured as long as I wasn't a) hogging a bunch of bandwidth or b) breaking the law, AT&T wouldn't care what I do with the internet connection.
Message 3 of 5
ACE - Expert

gohanman wrote:

Thanks. I kind of figured as long as I wasn't a) hogging a bunch of bandwidth or b) breaking the law, AT&T wouldn't care what I do with the internet connection.

That has always been my understanding as well you're welcome!
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 5
Highlighted
Guru

I've used ssh with a medianet plan, no problem.

Certainly interactive ssh uses very little data compared to pretty much everything else people would do with the phone. AT&T doesn't seem to mind.

The only downside with interactive ssh is that it is painful over EDGE, with it's high latency, especially when using things like vi/emacs, etc. 3G is much much nicer.

It's really great to be able to do basic server maintenance stuff from anywhere without carrying around a laptop. putty on S60/S80 rocks (and is free).

N.B. I do have the PDA plan on my Nokia E71-2 right now

Message Edited by ratatosk on 11-19-2008 09:05:16 AM
Message 5 of 5
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Find the Unlimited Plan that works best for you at our Knowledge Sharing Session: Whole Lotta' Data Going On on Wed. 6/28 from 1-4pm ET / noon-3pm CT / 10am-1pm PT!

Find out the very latest about the new iPad Pros!

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support