For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need your talk or text logs?
gohanman's profile

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

Tuesday, November 11th, 2008 10:52 PM

Closed

SSH?

I'm more interested in the PDA/Smartphone data plan, but there doesn't seem to be a sub-forum for that. This is the closest I could find, and I'm hoping someone might know the answer here since the terms & conditions have the same language for both.

Can I use an SSH client with any sort of AT&T data plan? They all say they're restricted to "internet browsing", "email", and "intranet access". I could see SSH conceivably being covered as intranet access, but there's no real definition given.

If there is a more appropriate forum for this question, please move this or direct me to it. Thanks.

Accepted Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

6.6K Messages

15 years ago

@gohanman wrote:
I'm more interested in the PDA/Smartphone data plan, but there doesn't seem to be a sub-forum for that. This is the closest I could find, and I'm hoping someone might know the answer here since the terms & conditions have the same language for both.

Can I use an SSH client with any sort of AT&T data plan? They all say they're restricted to "internet browsing", "email", and "intranet access". I could see SSH conceivably being covered as intranet access, but there's no real definition given.

If there is a more appropriate forum for this question, please move this or direct me to it. Thanks.

SSH, then pine/mail/etc. there's your email access 🙂 Seriously, I can't see why SSH client use would be prohibited what the T&C is designed to guard against is things like hosting and such. I wouldn't run an SSH server but a client should be fine.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

15 years ago

Thanks. I kind of figured as long as I wasn't a) hogging a bunch of bandwidth or b) breaking the law, AT&T wouldn't care what I do with the internet connection.

ACE - Expert

• 

6.6K Messages

15 years ago

@gohanman wrote:

Thanks. I kind of figured as long as I wasn't a) hogging a bunch of bandwidth or b) breaking the law, AT&T wouldn't care what I do with the internet connection.

That has always been my understanding as well you're welcome!

Guru

• 

64 Messages

15 years ago

I've used ssh with a medianet plan, no problem.

Certainly interactive ssh uses very little data compared to pretty much everything else people would do with the phone. AT&T doesn't seem to mind.

The only downside with interactive ssh is that it is painful over EDGE, with it's high latency, especially when using things like vi/emacs, etc. 3G is much much nicer.

It's really great to be able to do basic server maintenance stuff from anywhere without carrying around a laptop. putty on S60/S80 rocks (and is free).

N.B. I do have the PDA plan on my Nokia E71-2 right now

Message Edited by ratatosk on 11-19-2008 09:05:16 AM
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.