Explore & discover

Helpful Links

SMS Phishing

Contributor

SMS Phishing

Over the past few months, unusual numbers have begun showing up on the Usage Logs of our AT&T account page. These numbers show up as 141.010.0001, and then the next as 141.010.0002, etc., increasing by a digit each time. They are sporadic, and there never seems to be repeats from the same number except when sometimes two or three appear at the exact same time of day. I've read about them a lot, here and other places, and I understand they are SPAM messages coming from email addresses. This makes perfect sense.

However, here is the mystery. These numbers show up on the AT&T Usage Logs, as I mentioned, but I've never received any on the phone. The only time I see similar numbers that are actually delivered to my phone is when using two-factor authentication, such as a security code from the bank. The logs show dozens of SMS messages that I never see on my device.

My significant other, who manages the account has questioned me repeatedly as to where these messages are coming from, and is absolutely convinced that something suspicious is going on, and she believes that I'm simply deleting the suspicious message from my phone. Can anyone please answer why these SPAM numbers show up on the bill, but not on my device?

Thank you!

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 3
Contributor

Re: SMS Phishing

There's not even an AT&T employee who can answer this one?

Message 2 of 3
Contributor

Re: SMS Phishing

This is a text sent from an email account. Same thing shows up on my account when I get alerts from work which are sent from a generic email. you can test it out by sending a text to yourself by email. (Your 10 digit mobile number@txt.att.net) 

Message 3 of 3
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements...

Are you Missing Your BOGO Credits? If so, QuarryRye can you help figure out what happened and what to do about it!

Additional Support