Explore & discover

Helpful Links

SMS Phishing

Contributor

SMS Phishing

Hello…

I have called AT&T twice on this issue.

A couple of days ago I started to receive unwanted SMS text messages on my mobile device.  I don’t have an unlimited texting plan so each of these costs me one text.  The texts come from a number that is always changing.  They stated coming from: 1(410) 100-001, each time I would recive a text the number would increase by one, so 1(410) 100-002, 1(410) 100-003, ect.

The text of the SMS message is:

FRMSmiley Surprisednsh

SUBJ:Call

MSG: M-A-S-T-E-R C=A=R=D .

Please Call : [edited for privacy-please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, employee ID numbers, email addresses, phone numbers, account numbers, etc.]

This can be easily researched on the internet as a Phishing scam.

The solution the AT&T tech came to was to disable or block all texts to my device as the source number keeps changing blocking a single number has no affect.  While this technically solves the problem it is not my desired solution.  Now I will have to either live with no text feature on my device or call back from time to time to see when this issue has been solved.  Basically I have to do all of the work.

Neither the phone support tech, nor the online chat tech knew this abuse email address.  I got it off a post on the AT&T forums: https://forums.att.com/t5/Data-Messaging-Features-Internet/Email-to-SMS-and-Spam/m-p/4190472#M66163

I am sending this email to report the issue.  The tech I spoke to in the attached email thread did indicate I would get some kind of an email on the problem for my tracking but that did not happen.

Message 1 of 24
Contributor

Re: SMS Phishing

I’ve had the same experience except the message I received was a little more disturbing it reads, 

FRM: Mayda 

MSG: vyhuV.gfak1.cf/eh4zhl and I might die tomorrow but

and thats it I’ve googled the string of text that comes up before the message but to no avail I’ve googled the phone number and came to this forem I just wondered if anyone else had a disturbing message from this number honestly it kinda terrifies me.

Message 16 of 24
Contributor

They're still at it. I got a text from 1 (410) 100-003 that alleged to be from banking@[my bank's name].com. Together with the bad punctuation, it reads exactly:

MSG: Your [redacted] account has been suspended for security reason .To restore please visit : http://ssl.pnc-ovcrbfk.com

This is the only one I've gotten so far. Based on what I've read above I fear more may be coming... Smiley Sad

Tom

Message 17 of 24
Contributor

Reporting by forwarding to 7226 does not work. An auto-generated response is sent requesting the phone number of the sender, but the number “1 (410) 100-001” is not recognized. Three years without a solution? Come on, AT&T.

Message 18 of 24
Tutor

I just went to textport.com on their site it says:

Q: I received unwanted messages from this site. How can I stop them.

A: Please use our number block page to have your number immediately blocked. We will also review records to determine whether someone is attempting to exploit this site to send SPAM.

So I did that and I HOPEFULLY will stop getting all these spam txts!

Message 19 of 24

I hope that works for you.  If not, please let me know and I'll work on an additional solution specifically for you!  Have a great weekend!

Message 20 of 24
Tutor

@CallMe+972 So it worked for about a week.... Just got another one from another one of their numbers. ***... At least it worked for a week... Smiley Sad I was getting those texts every day and some times several times a day. I have tried to contact them again but since they only put their Facebook and Twitter info up it made things harder to find them. I did some techy stuff and did a site look up and found them. Their contact information for the person that owns this company is:

JOHN *** apparently owner of Global Crossing Local Services in Seattle Washington and their number is ***... If there is any other information you would like to know just ask. I did contact them on FB, and I have just reported them to the BBB as well.

I despise people that abuse the systems, and the ones that allow it to happen so I tend to go honey badger on things like this. I do also have an address, but I thought that posting that might be a little too much. Where as letting others CALL this person might be incentive enough for them to fix the issue.

[Edited for privacy-This is a public forum. Please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, employee ID numbers, email addresses, phone numbers, account numbers, etc.]

Message 21 of 24

Cat Sad Oy vey!  I am thankful you let me know of a one week reprieve... but jeez this has gotta stop for you.  I was bombarded daily a few years back on a third party carrier acquired by AT&T and somehow managed to blast their CEO from Atlanta on a public tech forum to get it to stop.  When he sent his secretary to 'clear it up' I explained it wasn't her job.  It was his.  I'm brazen like that.  I have NO problem going straight to board members.

Keep that in your bag of next steps if you need to.

Tags (2)
Message 22 of 24
Contributor

My problem is that these are NOT spam emails. We have a company that monitors our system servers and when a job goes down, it sends out a text alert. Anyone who is NOT on AT&T gets a proper text, I get the revolving 1 400 100 ### texts. I need to know what the company needs to do to FIX this. 

Message 23 of 24
Teacher

AT&T, and many cell phone providers, offers an e-mail to text service.  If you send an e-mail to my AT&T cell phone number at-sign txt.att.net then I will receive an SMS text message that is "from" 1-410-100-001 and with

FRM:E-mail Sender's name
SUB:E-mail subject line but truncated to 40 characters
MSG:E-mail message body

I suspect AT&T, and many cell providers, has spam filtering logic to keep scammers from flooding their customers with texts.  However, a few are bound to slip through.

They don't show me the e-mail address of the sender.  However, if I reply back via SMS text then the person that e-mailed me gets an e-mail that's from my AT&T cell phone number at-sign txt.att.net that includes the reply and also includes the original e-mail the person has sent.  It's very well done and looks exactly like a standard e-mail reply other than a footer with "This mobile text message is brought to you by AT&T"

The reason for the 1-410-100-001, 1-410-100-002, 1-410-100-003, ... is that it allows the system to keep track of multiple outstanding e-mails.  If I reply back on the message that was "from" 1-410-100-002 for example it'll look up in its records and sends the e-mail reply back to the correct person.  I assume that after a time period (24 hours?) that the 001, 002, 003, parts expire and thus can be re-used.

Unfortunately, knowing this does not directly solve the OP's problem which is blocking a spammer or other unwanted person that's spamming you. However, Google up "Eluding a Barrage of Spam Text Messages". The New York Times ran that article in 2012 about spams being sent to txt.att.net and similar services by other cell phone companies. That article says that for AT&T you can forward the text to 7726 which is the word SPAM. It then says "You’ll then receive another text asking for the sender’s phone number." Hopefully, the 7726 SPAM service knows about e-mail to text gateway messages and can block the sender's e-mail as you don't know the spammer's e-mail nor phone number.

Message 24 of 24
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Do you need to fix, replace or track a device? We Can Help With That!

Additional Support