Need your talk or text logs?
Daerickson's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Monday, May 30th, 2016 2:50 AM

Roll over???

What good is roll over dara when they are not used first? I can understand not letting them go on forever, but seems to me your roll over dara (which would be less then your plan data) should be used first and then your plan data. Looks to me like it's a big spoof!

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

8 years ago

The point is only plan data rolls over, and is used first.  Since Verizon is the only other carrier with nationwide coverage and they don't offer rollover, it's a good deal.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

8 years ago

@lizdance40  Because the competitor doesn't doesn't do it (and AT&T does do it) does not make it a good deal!  It's all about how useful it is and this could certainly be more useful (they should/could make it as useful as rollover minutes).

I agree with @Daerickson, since rollover does not rollover another month (but minutes do for those plans), you really can only use rollover every other month, and if you use it any of those months, you now can't have it the next month. 

Using "rollover" and then working very differently of how their old rollover works is confusing, it certainly makes people think it'll rollover in a very similar way.  T-Mobile's data rollover works how you expect it, for 12 months to a maximum of 20GB (regardless of if you have a 6GB or 10GB plan), plus they coined a cool name "Data Stash™".  So if you've got 3 lines you've got up to 60GB of possible rollover (if you're together you could tether to someone else's phone, so it's really flexible, IMHO).

On a 15GB plan:

If you use 15GB  this month, you have pretty much have no rollover benefit next month, even if you only used 1GB last month and had 14GB rollover (which means you had 29GB this month).

If you use 14GB every month, you have an extra GB in case you go over, but if you ever use 1 byte of that rollover data you don't have any for the next month. 

The real benefit is if you usually only use 10-12GB and one month you need to go over, you've got the 3-5GB from last month that you didn't use.

I see this being useful for months you know you might be going higher, vacation where there is no WiFi or lots of time in teh car or airports.

My suggestion: 

Let it roll over like the minutes did, let us have it for 12 months (I'd be happy with 6 months!) but you can never accrue more than your data plan (so you never start any month with more than double your data).

Or your rollover pool is chopped in half before rolling another month (but you still get this months rolled over too).  Or something...

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

8 years ago

I agree! We are on vacation and will be away from wifi most of the next two months!! Will have to be very cautious not to go over our 15!! We had 28 when we left home, used the 15 and now only have the 15 to get us thru!! Not a very useful "benefit"!' Does anyone from AT&T read these posts or am I talking to the choir??

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

8 years ago

@Daerickson

so you have a 15 GBs plan and used only 2 GBs last month.

So, had 28 (15 plus 13 rollover) when you left home, but used none of the rollover, but only your plan data of 15?

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

8 years ago

@Gary L

Considering they didn't have to offer it at all, saying they could, should offer it is extremely selfish and short sighted.

The calling minutes rolled over forever.  We had customers switching to Mobile share plan who complained about their hoarded 30,000 minutes they lost, switching to unlimited calling.  (See the irony?).   

We can guess ATT either used that example, or the potential problem of horded data being used all at once, in the same area and the system not being available to provide it.  After all, that rollover isn't throttled.  (Example, CT had major long term power outages two halloweens in a row.  Cell networks were very busy as there were no landlines.  I noticed the slowdown due to congestion)

So, I believe it's network management.  I can see many people saving up for summer travel.   Results, slow network all July and August for everyone.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

8 years ago

@Daerickson Choir!

@lizdance40 Calling minutes rolled over for 12 months, not forever. 

Your example is true, most people had many many rollover minutes and felt comfortable having them, even when not used.  Unless you rarely went over, you had a plan to cover what you needed, it was too expensive to use overage minutes.

We generally talked 2,000 minutes, had a 700 minute plan BUT only used 200-300 of minutes that mattered, not because of the rollover, but A-List, M2M and nights/weekends mean we never needed the 700 minutes. We generally had 4,000-6,000 rollover minutes, and when I added a line, I was bummed they went away!

By pointing out that we can't save them for something like vacation (not July/August but somewhere warm in Jan/Feb!) they aren't very useful to us.

Again, I'm not asking to bank 50GB on my 15GB plan, while T-Mobile lets you bank double or triple your data. I'm not asking to keep it for a year, like T-Mobile does. Six months (or 3) with a max of your data plan.  Just so I don't have to watch my data plan to make sure I don't hit my roll over for the month, remember how much wre loved those rollover minutes?

Final offer: Data rolls for 3 months just up to half my data plan. I can touch it and still have a few GB extra for next month.

Though if they let us back more I think people would realize how nice it is those months when they actually use double their data and some would increase their data plans.  While many would never use a third of their plan anyways!

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

8 years ago

My bill hasn't posted yet, so I don't know how much we used. However, there is NO roll over for this month so I know we used all our plan plus! That's how I discovered how the roll over doesn't work! Talk about honest answers, how about honest "benefits"

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

8 years ago

@Gary L

A reasonable idea, and worth pitching.  But......

Of course, its never happened that ATT gives an inch, and customers ask for a yard. (Sarcasm intended and this being an example of just that.).  

I think If ATT network could handle that usage they would extend the rollover, it can't. 

Dates of increased data use are predictable, I can mark them on my calendar.  Weekends, holidays, school vacations, summer.   I for one would be P.O. ed, if my regular plan data slowed during those times because the network is clogged with binge users using 3 times their normal data in a week.

As it is now, I regularly threaten to go back to Verizon.  I have plenty of data, but if the network is so clogged I can't use it at full speed, what good is it?  I operate my business off my phone, I can't tolerate the sluggishness when with a client.

If ATT can handle that sort of use in the future, we may see a change in offers and policy. 

I predict a return of unlimited, prioritized plans in the distant future, without extra infringements.  

@Daerickson.  The rollover, which ATT didn't have to provide, and covers far more of the US than T-mo could possibly cover, was specifically described from day one as 'your plan data rolls over for one month.   '.  How is that dishonest?   

If you did use more than 15 GBs in the past month, you can increase you plan for one billing period, and then change back as long as you don't have promotional data included. ( I took the double data promo a year and a half ago and if I change it I lose it)

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

8 years ago

I looked at an upgrade and all it showed to compare was adding direct tv, NOT going there! I still think they could roll over at least 2-3 gigs for an additional month. Just saying! We just upgraded to the new phones and this is the second billing cycle and I did not understand that the plan was used first and then the roll over. It was not explained well

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

8 years ago

@Daerickson.  You can increase your data plan without adding direct TV (that is the unlimited plan which prohibits tethering).  

Your tiered plan can be increased at anytime during the current billing period and backdated to cover the entire month, to 20 ($140) or 25 GB plan ($175).  Don't bother with the 30 GBs plan, which for some odd reason is more expensive per gb.  

The following month you can drop the plan to your normal use.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.