Receiving text messages internationally

Contributor

Receiving text messages internationally

I'm using an iPhone 5s in the US with an unlimited talk/text plan.  I am travelling to Europe and I am not adding an International text message package. I will be adding a data package (likely the $60/300mb).  I will not be sending text messages.  How am I charged for any incoming texts? Also, does iMessage work and if so, is that charged?  One last thing...if I keep Cellular Data off but connect to wifi, will regular text messages come through and could I then send through wifi?  Thanks!

Message 1 of 10 (53,355 Views)
Employee
Solution
Accepted by topic author n2qmt
‎09-30-2015 1:39 AM

Re: Receiving text messages internationally

Hey

Point of reference

"Receive: Standard domestic messaging rates apply. "

IE, you get charged the same as you would in the US. Since you don't get charged for texting (thanks to your unlimited plan), it's free.

-Alex

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 10 (53,344 Views)
Highlighted
ACE - Master
Solution
Accepted by topic author n2qmt
‎09-30-2015 1:39 AM

n2qmt wrote:

I'm using an iPhone 5s in the US with an unlimited talk/text plan.  I am travelling to Europe and I am not adding an International text message package. I will be adding a data package (likely the $60/300mb).  I will not be sending text messages.  How am I charged for any incoming texts? Also, does iMessage work and if so, is that charged?  One last thing...if I keep Cellular Data off but connect to wifi, will regular text messages come through and could I then send through wifi?  Thanks!

As previously noted, incoming texts are free. Also, as long as your are on wifi or have cellular data turned on, iMessage will work. Any iMessages sent via cellular data will count against your international data plan. If you leave cellular data off and are connected to wifi, regular text messages will come thru but you can't send regular texts (SMS) through wifi. You can send iMessages through wifi, but not SMS messages. If you do send an SMS message, it will go through the cellular network (SMS does not require cellular data) and you will be charged $0.50 for each sent text.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 10 (53,254 Views)
Contributor

[ Edited ]
So I'm on a study abroad in mexico for 3 weeks. I have hotel wifi so I turned off my mobile data and international roaming since I didn't need it. I also found this forum when I started getting texts from my cousins and I worried that I might get charged and was put at ease that I wouldn't be. Now on my last day in mexico I get a text saying my international data is exceeding $100. Why is this happening and how do I go about fixing it?
Message 4 of 10 (39,000 Views)
ACE - Master

The only explanation I can offer is you somehow managed to turn data on. At $20/MB, it does not take much data to run up $100 in charges and if you have a smartphone it will use data whether you want it to or not. First off, you need to check your phone and make sure data is off. As for the charges, your options are to try to convince customer support to remove the charges or get a Passport plan and back date it to start when your trip started.

That happened to my wife's phone when traveling to Europe last year, I got the international data plan (Passport plans did not exist yet) and back dated it to cover the charges.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 10 (38,832 Views)
Contributor

I am in a hotel in canada that has wifi. My phone is in airplane mode with my wifi on, will this set up cost me extra? I do not have a passport plan, do i need one to avoid extra charges?
Message 6 of 10 (14,757 Views)
ACE - Master

@Chadlipripper If you have an unlimted (directTV) plan or Mobile Share plan you can call and have your plan include, for FREE, data and calling in Canada.  For mobile share you need to call and ask for retention (just ask nicely!).

[The (very) fine print:
When solved / helped, please mark your question as solved by clicking "Accept solution".
This helps other people to find an answer more quickly. This is the AT&T community forum (not AT&T support). Please keep in mind that just because my answer doesn't solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be the correct information...]
Message 7 of 10 (14,732 Views)
ACE - Master

@Chadlipripper With your phone in airplane mode you will not incur any cellular charges. You do not need a Passport plan. 

Message 8 of 10 (14,706 Views)
Contributor

I'm going to ireland this coming Friday and got the $40 passport plan. With this plan, will all text messages be free? Looks like any I send are but not sure about incoming texts? Also, is there any way to turn of calling and keep text on? ThanksSmiley Happy
Message 9 of 10 (6,197 Views)
ACE - Master

@smallsv03 All texts are free with the Passport plan. Sorry, there is no way to turn cellular voice off and leave texting on as SMS texting uses the voice network. 

Message 10 of 10 (6,160 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.