Need your talk or text logs?
n2qmt's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Sunday, August 10th, 2014 5:39 PM

Do I get charged for incoming AT&T international texts?

I'm using an iPhone 5s in the US with an unlimited talk/text plan.  I am travelling to Europe and I am not adding an International text message package. I will be adding a data package (likely the $60/300mb).  I will not be sending text messages.  How am I charged for any incoming texts? Also, does iMessage work and if so, is that charged?  One last thing...if I keep Cellular Data off but connect to wifi, will regular text messages come through and could I then send through wifi?  Thanks!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Employee

• 

420 Messages

2 years ago

Hi Community!

We appreciate the helpful replies in this thread. Here are a few tips to using text messages (both sending and receiving) when traveling.

First, when traveling abroad, you aren't charged for incoming text messages. Also, iMessage works on data. However, you are charged for sending texts internationally.

That's why it's best to be prepared when you're planning to travel outside of the country. Here's how to know what international packages are available to you. Stop by Hello World: International Calls - Knowledge Sharing Session.

Unless you have a domestic plan that includes unlimited text, messages received are charged at your domestic messaging rates.

Not sure what plan works for you, you can check with our Online Travel Tool based on your destination! Take a look at our qualifying international plans to learn how you can stay connected at home and while traveling abroad.

Included in AT&T Unlimited Plan, Mobile Share Value and Mobile Share plans only. Includes messaging from the U.S., Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands to more than 190 countries for text messages and 120 countries for picture and video messages.

Capabilities vary by country. AT&T may change countries at its discretion. Visit Send texts, pics, and videos to countries abroad for details including which countries you can text, and where you can send pictures and videos.

Texting: Applies only to AT&T Short Messaging Service (SMS) and Multimedia Messaging Service (MMS) and not to other messaging services or applications. Texts sent through applications may incur data charges. Service may be terminated or restricted for tethering or misuse.

• Some countries’ international carriers may not accept picture and video messaging.
  • The person you're messaging might not be able to receive your message. This could be due to their device, service provider, or service agreement.
  • If they can't receive a picture or video message, it’s usually sent to a web-based service where it can be viewed with an internet browser.

What's more, check out these helpful tips at Traveling? Need Access To Wi-Fi? There Is An App For That! There, you will learn where to go to download the Global Wi-Fi app.

Download The App Now!

App Store 

Google Play Store  

Make sure to view the details under To manually connect to a Hotspot:

• iPhone and iPad: Go to the iPhone/iPad device Settings menu and select Wi-Fi. Select a network hotspot that has the subtext, AT&T Global Wi-Fi, listed below it. If there are none, select one of the public hotspots listed.
  • Android smartphones and tablets: In the AT&T Global Wi-Fi app, select an available hotspot from the list to connect. A check mark to the right of the hotspot name confirms a successful hotspot connection.

You can view the list of countries where Wi-Fi access is available as well.

(edited)

Accepted Solution

Former Employee

• 

636 Messages

10 years ago

Hey

Point of reference

"Receive: Standard domestic messaging rates apply. "

IE, you get charged the same as you would in the US. Since you don't get charged for texting (thanks to your unlimited plan), it's free.

-Alex

Accepted Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

10 years ago

@n2qmt wrote:

I'm using an iPhone 5s in the US with an unlimited talk/text plan.  I am travelling to Europe and I am not adding an International text message package. I will be adding a data package (likely the $60/300mb).  I will not be sending text messages.  How am I charged for any incoming texts? Also, does iMessage work and if so, is that charged?  One last thing...if I keep Cellular Data off but connect to wifi, will regular text messages come through and could I then send through wifi?  Thanks!

As previously noted, incoming texts are free. Also, as long as your are on wifi or have cellular data turned on, iMessage will work. Any iMessages sent via cellular data will count against your international data plan. If you leave cellular data off and are connected to wifi, regular text messages will come thru but you can't send regular texts (SMS) through wifi. You can send iMessages through wifi, but not SMS messages. If you do send an SMS message, it will go through the cellular network (SMS does not require cellular data) and you will be charged $0.50 for each sent text.

Accepted Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

6 years ago

@emcervantez Probably nothing but that depends on your plan. Most plans include texts to international numbers including Mexico.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

So I'm on a study abroad in mexico for 3 weeks. I have hotel wifi so I turned off my mobile data and international roaming since I didn't need it. I also found this forum when I started getting texts from my cousins and I worried that I might get charged and was put at ease that I wouldn't be. Now on my last day in mexico I get a text saying my international data is exceeding $100. Why is this happening and how do I go about fixing it?

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

9 years ago

The only explanation I can offer is you somehow managed to turn data on. At $20/MB, it does not take much data to run up $100 in charges and if you have a smartphone it will use data whether you want it to or not. First off, you need to check your phone and make sure data is off. As for the charges, your options are to try to convince customer support to remove the charges or get a Passport plan and back date it to start when your trip started.

That happened to my wife's phone when traveling to Europe last year, I got the international data plan (Passport plans did not exist yet) and back dated it to cover the charges.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

I am in a hotel in canada that has wifi. My phone is in airplane mode with my wifi on, will this set up cost me extra? I do not have a passport plan, do i need one to avoid extra charges?

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

8 years ago

@Chadlipripper If you have an unlimted (directTV) plan or Mobile Share plan you can call and have your plan include, for FREE, data and calling in Canada.  For mobile share you need to call and ask for retention (just ask nicely!).

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

8 years ago

@Chadlipripper With your phone in airplane mode you will not incur any cellular charges. You do not need a Passport plan. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I'm going to ireland this coming Friday and got the $40 passport plan. With this plan, will all text messages be free? Looks like any I send are but not sure about incoming texts? Also, is there any way to turn of calling and keep text on? Thanks:)
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.