Need your talk or text logs?
MT073's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Saturday, March 30th, 2013 3:49 PM

Receiving same text message repeatedly

Interesting phenomena just experienced.  A buddy (iPhone, AT&T) just sent me a text and then about every 1 - 2 minutes I would receive the same text over and over, with the same timestamp on each message.  I called him up and asked if anything was going on on his end and he said he sent it only once and in fact had replied with a couple more texts, that I had not received.  We both recycled power on our phones  and the problem went away and I received the reply texts that he said he had sent several minutes earlier while I was experiencing the problem  (my phone is Samsung InFuse with GINGERBREAD.UCLB3 build).

Never seen this before in my 1-1/2 years on AT&T.

Any thoughts?  Phone issue?  Network issue?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I have seen many issues all over the internet when it comes to this specific problem. I am in the USA and considering the providers I would believe most of them are also USA based as well as most of their clientele. I do understand this is annoying, I certainly find it very annoying. It can be based via a phone or SIM thanks to our fantastic tech and how quickly it degrades not to mention anything computer based, all you have to do is set a single item in ANY line of code for a device (which that crap CAN happen from forced shutdowns when batteries get knocked out from a fall or a reset from a fall) and then the phone is never the same. Same thing with "fake" apps in different stores. They can use that to screw up your phone or it just might because somehow it just didn't like your phone or visa versa. Another thing you have to think of, compared to a few years ago, how much traffic does the signal towers get? A crap ton. Our tech is great and all but considering how much useage has increased in the past few years, our phone have greatly advanced, but our sending and recieving part hasn't nearly as much. Any computer recieving tons of signals can screw up easy. Computer hackers sometimes crash other compters or servers with the so called packet dumps, cauing the computer on the recieving end to crash out, force a reboot, or just all together overload. It is not myth or urban legend. So think, if our phone usage, text, browsing, calling has skyrocketed as well as our phones getting better and better, if the "translator" or "Mailman" end of the signal isn't upgraded, this kind of stuff is extremely possible. American internet is a joke as it is compared to the rest of the world (3-10 times slower with about the same amount of extra issues) who's to say that the phones aren't pretty much in the same boat.

So with all those said above it comes down to a few things:
1) Poor Signal. So the "mailman" knocks on the door several times and delivers the same mail to ensure it was delivered.
2) Sim Card. Something in the Sim is malfunctioning, causing a broken record effect.
3) Coding error in the phone. Due to fake apps, viruses, errors in the code due to forced shutdown.

4) Congested signals. So many things all being sorted at once that the system gets confused and a little drunk and decides to annoying you with it's drunken texts to make sure you got it.

5) Conspiracy Theory. The fun one, Government tapping, spying, watching what you do because they are worried about "terrorists" or the people revolting.

6) """"""Aliens"""""""

7) (Insert other weird reason here)

Just do what some people are doing. Taking the annoyances as a sign. That we are relying too much on the tech. Yeah I have a Cell. That way at any time my family or work can reach me, also emergancys. I do not however take vanity shots(aka selfies), nor spend countless hours on social media because Jane Doe is hot and imma stalk her, or John Doe was a cool dude and throws great parties. Use your phone for its primal reason(aka original operational use) a little more and it is possible that your issues may drop in a decent percentage. Mine did.

I have zero experiance with phone tech, I have some with computers, I have a crap ton in investigative and intuitive searching/services. This is all from searching, finding many different things from all over the internet about these issues. I am far from an expert on them nor do I claim to be. If you follow the statistics though, aka run the numbers, there is one very large problem that sums it up. Us. We are the problem. Doesn't mean we have to STOP enjoying the use of our phones. Just try a little less.The tech will get less wear&tear, Less chances to drop and damage your phone internally or externally, the "airwaves" will be less congested, the "mailman won't be worked are hard and will get "drunk" a whole lot less.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

this started happening to me and a number of friends a couple days ago. we are getting messages sent between us multiple times, not group messages, just a message from one friend to me and from the other to that friend. we each have different phones, samsung, blackberry, iphone and different ages of phones. we each recieve messages at different intervals and it varies. for instance, the first day it was every couple hours. the next day starting at about 4:30 am it would be every 61 minutes, the day after that every two hours, the day after that every 4 hours, the next day nothing until late afternoon and it was every couple of minutes for a while...and now i wait for it to happen again. the only common denominator is that we all use at&t as our carrier. when it first started it happened with messages sent from at&t to verizon but those only kept repeating the first day. so if that doesn't throw a monkey wrench in all the possible causes that everyone has listed... maybe a glitch in the cell towers or signal. who knows.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

This did not happen to me ever on Verizon. But happens regularly on AT&T. Had android phones with both services. Very annoying. Only difference is that I get 6 rapid fire text messages from one person at a time - when they only send one.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

I have the same problem. I received the same text messages repeatedly & it is annoying. iPhone or ATT my provider should do something about this. These happened with group messaging. I tried everything by resetting & rebooting but failed. I came to a point to blocked the sender but when I unblocked immediately the same messages repeatedly received in multiple times from the time when I unblocked the sender. This is really disturbing & annoying especially when you are resting.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

7 years ago

If you can, go to another area where there are not the same carriers, like
another town. After I did that it stopped.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

I have been having the same problem for the past several months, since the IOS10 upgrades started on my phone.  If someone sends me a picture in a message and the picture is transmitted with viewmymessage (some kind of default transmission program that you can't block), I receive the same message every 4 hours for 5 days, like clockwork.  The only way I can stop it is to block the caller until the end of the 5 day period.  There is nothing that the sender can do and nothing I can do about it, and when I called AT&T support they had never even heard of viewmymessage!!  so frustrating. 

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

Me too

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

Is my cell broken?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

Same thing happening to me.  I have a phone that is different from all others reporting this problem.  I use Consumer Cellular for my carrier.  They rent the ATT towers.  But is that the same as for those who are using ATT directly?  This just started happening a couple months ago.  (Today is 7/12/17.)  I'm running mySMS as my text app.  The phone is set to use mySMS by default, but the native text app is still on the phone.  I used the phone for a year and a half with no problems and used the mySMS app for many months without the problem.  Have been on Consumer Cellular all this time.  So really, what's the problem?

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

6 years ago

Father's Day morning, I received 168 of the exact same text message from AT&T in a 1 hour 23 minute time frame. Recycling phone did nothing. Calling did nothing. Now the media, of which I am a member, is doing something. 

These are clear TCPA violations, and damages per incident run between $500 - $1,500. AT&T was just reported once again to the FCC, and our state attorney general, who is reaching out to them to tell them to stop.

This is simply harassment. 

Shame on you AT&T.

When you violate laws, which you do frequently, you will be held accountable. Paying for service not received, receipt of harassing texts or calls, etc. is a breach of your own TOS. Promising or guaranteeing that a technician or equipment will be delivered at a specific time is a contract, and violating this verbal contract by causing repeated damage to "customers", is enforceable by law. No hiding behind your egregious and unconscionable TOS will get you out of taking responsibility when you do this. Fraud on the American people is a crime, which you should know. You've been paying millions upon millions in fines and settlements for decades. 

Now, you will be doling out dough again in the form of fines, fees, and settlements to me and my family, and thousands of other affected by your actions. Sold our stock, along with so many others, and that is just the beginning. When will  you learn? 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.