Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Re: Receiving same text message repeatedly

Tutor

Receiving same text message repeatedly

Interesting phenomena just experienced.  A buddy (iPhone, AT&T) just sent me a text and then about every 1 - 2 minutes I would receive the same text over and over, with the same timestamp on each message.  I called him up and asked if anything was going on on his end and he said he sent it only once and in fact had replied with a couple more texts, that I had not received.  We both recycled power on our phones  and the problem went away and I received the reply texts that he said he had sent several minutes earlier while I was experiencing the problem  (my phone is Samsung InFuse with GINGERBREAD.UCLB3 build).

Never seen this before in my 1-1/2 years on AT&T.

Any thoughts?  Phone issue?  Network issue?

Message 1 of 23
Highlighted
Contributor

If you can, go to another area where there are not the same carriers, like
another town. After I did that it stopped.
Message 16 of 23
Contributor

I have been having the same problem for the past several months, since the IOS10 upgrades started on my phone.  If someone sends me a picture in a message and the picture is transmitted with viewmymessage (some kind of default transmission program that you can't block), I receive the same message every 4 hours for 5 days, like clockwork.  The only way I can stop it is to block the caller until the end of the 5 day period.  There is nothing that the sender can do and nothing I can do about it, and when I called AT&T support they had never even heard of viewmymessage!!  so frustrating. 

Message 17 of 23
Contributor

Me too

Message 18 of 23
Contributor

Is my cell broken?

Message 19 of 23
Contributor

Same thing happening to me.  I have a phone that is different from all others reporting this problem.  I use Consumer Cellular for my carrier.  They rent the ATT towers.  But is that the same as for those who are using ATT directly?  This just started happening a couple months ago.  (Today is 7/12/17.)  I'm running mySMS as my text app.  The phone is set to use mySMS by default, but the native text app is still on the phone.  I used the phone for a year and a half with no problems and used the mySMS app for many months without the problem.  Have been on Consumer Cellular all this time.  So really, what's the problem?

Message 20 of 23
Tutor

Father's Day morning, I received 168 of the exact same text message from AT&T in a 1 hour 23 minute time frame. Recycling phone did nothing. Calling did nothing. Now the media, of which I am a member, is doing something. 

These are clear TCPA violations, and damages per incident run between $500 - $1,500. AT&T was just reported once again to the FCC, and our state attorney general, who is reaching out to them to tell them to stop.

This is simply harassment. 

Shame on you AT&T.

When you violate laws, which you do frequently, you will be held accountable. Paying for service not received, receipt of harassing texts or calls, etc. is a breach of your own TOS. Promising or guaranteeing that a technician or equipment will be delivered at a specific time is a contract, and violating this verbal contract by causing repeated damage to "customers", is enforceable by law. No hiding behind your egregious and unconscionable TOS will get you out of taking responsibility when you do this. Fraud on the American people is a crime, which you should know. You've been paying millions upon millions in fines and settlements for decades. 

Now, you will be doling out dough again in the form of fines, fees, and settlements to me and my family, and thousands of other affected by your actions. Sold our stock, along with so many others, and that is just the beginning. When will  you learn? 

Message 21 of 23
Contributor

Same thing with me only from one person when I make them angry they hold the send button down and the message repeats as long as they hold it. If they are not angry they only send one message at a time.Talk to your sender or do what I did and try the same to them I got a response why did you send so many messages and locked my phone up. Hope it works for you.Larry

Message 22 of 23
Tutor

Thank you so much for your advice! AT&T was the "person" sending the message repeatedly; and we don't even use them for mobile!
Message 23 of 23
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Do you need to fix, replace or track a device? We Can Help With That!

Additional Support